XML Definition Files

XML Definition Files

Postby WolfPlayer » Tue May 02, 2006 4:19 am

Hi Guys,

I'm an old school ECU hacker/programmer. I come from the domestic side of the fence and have been reprogramming domestic ECUs for years (started in the late 90's). I've slowly been tracking the progress of openecu.org with regard to the STI. I currently am running Cobb's StreetTUNER with a fully custom map by myself.

I want to start playing around with the DIY stuff here now that the DBW stuff is supported. I know I can utilize ECUFlash for downloading and burning. I know I can use ECUEdit or TunerPro or Enginuity for modifying the binary. I know I need the openport 1.2 cable. I know that XMLWrite will create ECU definition files based on the binary ID. However, XMLWrite currently doesn't support the USDM STi (at least from my research). At this point I am gathering that the DIY community doesn't have a full handle on the STI definition yet. I need to know if I am crazy and I missed something ... or if I am correct and there is not an available relatively functional XML definition file for the '05 STI? I did notice this XML for the '04 ...

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=338

I noticed that there are some very well put together definition files for the WRX too. I also noted that people in the past have helped in this effort by posting all the address locations. As of yet, I haven't seen a list of address locations for the STI. It seems like this definition is still in it's infancy and people are having to guess as to what table does what? Thoughts?

t
WolfPlayer

Postby twg » Tue May 02, 2006 8:03 am

You are correct, the DBW cars such as the STI and the FXT/LGT have not been fully mapped out yet... there are apparently many more maps in the DBW vehicles...

I was just thinking this the other day, if you have ST, it would be a lot simpler to map out the ECU definitions.

One of the biggest problems is finding the boundaries between tables and trying to figure out what a particular table is for... with ST, you should be able to create "test" maps, so by putting special values into certain maps, and then looking at the actual ROM code (read using ecuFlash and viewed with ecuEdit), you should be able to figure out exactly where a particular table is located and what values correspond to what (and also what format the values are in)...

I think you can be a great resource to the community!
twg

Postby gregsachs » Tue May 02, 2006 8:42 am

Another (very useful) thing that could be done is comparing the standard ap and street tuner maps to stock maps, to see what cobb has changed. That should be legal reverse engineering of the cobb maps. ST should make it _much_ faster to decipher maps.
gregsachs

Postby WolfPlayer » Tue May 02, 2006 9:13 am

I'm a huge fan of Cobb Tuning and consider myself to be on really good terms with them. I wouldn't do anything to hurt that relationship or to hurt their business. I'm a huge fan of the ECU movement (as are some Cobb people too). I just need to watch and pay attention to the boundary on this one - because I won't cross it.

t
WolfPlayer

Postby twg » Tue May 02, 2006 5:40 pm

I think the value of ST is in the ability to allow the user to create custom maps and via the AP flash the stock ECU...

I don't think the format of the ECU is proprietary IP, esp. not for Cobb, if anything, this is Subaru proprietary IP that Cobb has reversed engineered as well...
twg

Return to Subaru (all models)