cobb maps!!

cobb maps!!

Postby Stealth » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:24 am

can it be possible to read a car with a cobb map installed and then reflash it into my car??? :?
Stealth

Postby MDTURBO » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:43 am

doubt it. Cobb overwrites portions of the program logic to prevent this.
MDTURBO

Postby Stealth » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:31 am

what about ecutek or Utec?
Stealth

Re: cobb maps!!

Postby Jon [in CT] » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:06 am

Stealth wrote:can it be possible to read a car with a cobb map installed and then reflash it into my car??? :?
Yes, that's possible. You'll only get the "base" map, although whichever AP that was orginally used to install the maps on the other car would probably think it's married to your car, too.
Jon [in CT]

Postby Stealth » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:12 am

Jon [in CT] wrote:
Stealth wrote:can it be possible to read a car with a cobb map installed and then reflash it into my car??? :?
Yes, that's possible. You'll only get the "base" map, although whichever AP that was orginally used to install the maps on the other car would probably think it's married to your car, too.

so that means it will tune it two right??
Stealth

Postby ahains » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:38 pm

Stealth wrote:
Jon [in CT] wrote:

so that means it will tune it two right??

That should work fine - it should be a 100% identical clone, software-wise.
But why would you want to use Street Tuner over the free apps? Do you like its functionality better?

[IANL disclaimer] Some folks obviously suggest that using cobb's maps without purchasing an AP is legal (if perhaps immoral/shady depending on your point of view). I do not think however that anyone would suggest that using a non-purchased copy of Street Tuner is legal. That is software piracy plain and simple. Maybe that is not a concern for you, but I point it out anyway.
ahains

Postby Stealth » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:11 pm

i hear ya so its illegal :cry:
Stealth

Postby Jon [in CT] » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:33 am

ahains wrote:[IANL disclaimer] Some folks obviously suggest that using cobb's maps without purchasing an AP is legal (if perhaps immoral/shady depending on your point of view). I do not think however that anyone would suggest that using a non-purchased copy of Street Tuner is legal. That is software piracy plain and simple. Maybe that is not a concern for you, but I point it out anyway.
Cobb distributes its maps without charge or license. I recall a post by Trey where he actually invited people to try and hack them (http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000108#000008). Nobody mentioned StreetTuner in this thread until your post and the original poster was must likely referring to AccessPort, a piece of hardware.
Jon [in CT]

Postby ahains » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:30 am

Jon [in CT] wrote:Nobody mentioned StreetTuner in this thread until your post and the original poster was must likely referring to AccessPort, a piece of hardware.

I was assuming this was referring to StreetTuner:
Stealth wrote:so that means it will tune it two right??

But maybe this was just referring to map switching, not actual tuning? I was obviously assuming the latter.
ahains

Postby Stealth » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:53 pm

well anyone know were i can get a similar map of a stage 2 or who has made one??
Stealth

Postby ahains » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:33 am

Stealth wrote:well anyone know were i can get a similar map of a stage 2 or who has made one??

Go register at http://www.osecuroms.org/ and you will be able to browse the downloads there. You can apply the stage 2 changes there to your base map if they don't have a directly useable map for you.
ahains

Postby thejean » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:46 am

When I had my AP, I uploaded all of the Cobb basemaps to my ECU and then downloaded the rom images to my laptop. I then unmarried my AP and loaded up other roms, including some that did not belong to my car. Then I switched back to the Cobb maps from the laptop using ecuflash. Every single map/rom image worked just fine. There were no lock-outs or anything the prevented me from switching between maps on the fly. Sure, while Cobb maps are loaded your car things it's "married" :lol: but the maps are easily over written (including the marriage) by any other rom image. Of course, I am protuned so I'm no longer using the Cobb maps at all.
thejean

Return to Subaru (all models)