EcuFlash questions

User topics relating to software that reflashes or modifes ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

EcuFlash questions

Postby BarryC » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:43 am

Ok I know that EcuFlash wont be able to reflash an older Evo 4,5,6
but I thought that the hold up was the fact that there was no way to tell the ECU to enter programming mode as the misconception was that there was no white flashing connector on the earlier models,
but I have been investigating this and yes the EVO 4 has only the black standard OBDII connector but my EVO 5 and I know for a fact that the EVO 6 have the white reflashing connectors pics attached,
and the tatrix cable fits in and is connected to the pin inside the connector,
I dont know if people know this but it is there.
Can I please have a version that flashes this ECU please
Attachments
tatrix evo5 001.jpg
tatrix evo5 001.jpg (133.72 KiB) Viewed 12486 times
BarryC

EcuFlash questions

Postby BarryC » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:52 am

another pic
Attachments
tatrix evo5 002.jpg
tatrix evo5 002.jpg (127.83 KiB) Viewed 12450 times
BarryC

EcuFlash questions

Postby BarryC » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:53 am

another
Attachments
tatrix evo5 003.jpg
tatrix evo5 003.jpg (119.16 KiB) Viewed 12442 times
BarryC

Postby Rotawerx » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:59 pm

Evo4 has the OBD2 connector?! Interesting.

Mitsubishi Have been using the white connector in their cars since the '80s, for diagnostic fault code extraction and viewing of live engine data. The all used to have just this plug (without the OBD2 plug - seeing as OBD2 wasnt around then).
We have gotten JDM imports here for years, and every old EFI Mitsubishi has one. It is simply the plug mitsubishi used before OBD2.

I cannot recall whether and Evo4 would have a white plug, but I would think it more likely to have just the white connector than the OBD2 one. I am keen to see a picture, always keen to know more :)
Rotawerx

Postby BarryC » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:12 am

no I dont think the Evo4 has the second white connector,
I was with a guy over here some time ago while he was flashing/tuning an Evo 4 with Ecutek, but the only way he could do it was to remove the ECU from the Evo 4 and install it into an Evo 5 which was also there that day he said that the Evo 4 did not have the second white connector and thats why he had to put the ecu into the 5 to flash it
BarryC

Postby Evo4Mad » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:02 am

the evo5 manual wiring diagram doesn't show that white diagnostic connector.
Evo4Mad

Postby BarryC » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:39 am

Any of the 5 or 6 Evo's Ive seen all have em thats how they flash/tune the standard ECU with the Ecutek software,
the only one that dont have it is the 4 as I said you have to remove the 4 ECU and flash it in a 5 or 6,
I do appreciate that it aint an easy task to reverse engineer a vehicle ECU so please dont think I am pestering for the H8/ release just eagerly waiting
BarryC

Postby Sanctifier » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:56 am

BarryC wrote:I have been investigating this and yes the EVO 4 has only the black standard OBDII connector
but my EVO 5 and I know for a fact that the EVO 6 have the white reflashing connectors pics
attached, and the tatrix cable fits in and is connected to the pin inside the connector

Unfortunately not all of us are so lucky.
I have a 1999 JDM E6 RS2 with NO white initialization socket in that location.
Is there another alternative location?
Sanctifier

Postby Rotawerx » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:11 pm

Just find out if the wire is supposed to be grounded or whatever and do it at the ECU plug.

I do that when setting base timing on FC RX7's when the plug appears to be missing for that function...
Rotawerx

Postby todd-w » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:45 pm

you can run a separate comm wire from the ecu plug for to re-map a 5/6 ecu in a 4,the wire goes to plug b-62 pin79 , there isnt any connection in the plug,you will need a proper connection on the wire that will clip into the plug, i got one from a scrap mitsi.
todd-w

Postby todd-w » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:49 pm

Sanctifier wrote:
BarryC wrote:I have been investigating this and yes the EVO 4 has only the black standard OBDII connector
but my EVO 5 and I know for a fact that the EVO 6 have the white reflashing connectors pics
attached, and the tatrix cable fits in and is connected to the pin inside the connector

Unfortunately not all of us are so lucky.
I have a 1999 JDM E6 RS2 with NO white initialization socket in that location.
Is there another alternative location?

i looked in a vi gsr jdm the other day to see what the i/socket was like,it wasnt there either,il have a look again next week see if i can locate it.
todd-w

Postby bugs1011 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:47 pm

Looking for a way to flash my ecu for myself, using ecuflash or similar program. I have a '98 evo V rs. Hey BarryC did you ever get any versions that work for you? please let me know.
bugs1011

Postby BarryC. » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:00 am

bugs1011 wrote:Looking for a way to flash my ecu for myself, using ecuflash or similar program. I have a '98 evo V rs. Hey BarryC did you ever get any versions that work for you? please let me know.

no there are no versions or software thats easily available like Ecuflash tha will support our ECU's, I am trying to gather enough info to swap my standard ECU for one from an Evo 7, there is a guy on here that has done it, I am hoping that he will give me some advice and solutions to the technical problems associated with the swap.
if I can do it I will post a how to so all us CP9A people can benefit from this mod.
but I am kinda hoping that he will do this first as he is the expert on this subject.

Please Evo4mad
BarryC.

Postby nu-kee » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:23 am

BarryC. wrote:
bugs1011 wrote:Looking for a way to flash my ecu for myself, using ecuflash or similar program. I have a '98 evo V rs. Hey BarryC did you ever get any versions that work for you? please let me know.

no there are no versions or software thats easily available like Ecuflash tha will support our ECU's, I am trying to gather enough info to swap my standard ECU for one from an Evo 7, there is a guy on here that has done it, I am hoping that he will give me some advice and solutions to the technical problems associated with the swap.
if I can do it I will post a how to so all us CP9A people can benefit from this mod.
but I am kinda hoping that he will do this first as he is the expert on this subject.
Please Evo4mad

There must be hope for us to flash the Evo 5 & 6 Ecu's. If EcuTek can do it, that means there's a way. We jus have to figure it out. What makes the Evo 5/6 ecu's different from newer Evo's?
nu-kee

Postby Sanctifier » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:14 pm

BarryC. wrote:... no there are no versions or software thats easily available like Ecuflash tha will support our ECU's, I am trying to gather enough info to swap my standard ECU for one from an Evo 7, there is a guy on here that has done it, I am hoping that he will give me some advice and solutions to the technical problems associated with the swap.

Please Evo4mad

That's the same conclusion that I arrived at.

I face even more "double jeopardy" than most.
I also have an Xede piggy-back for over eight months.
No software version available for the Evo 6 either. :roll:

Preparing for AutoX with complete rebuild soon.
I bought JDM E7 GSR ECU & harness just in case ECUFlash for E5-6 doesn't happen soon.
If nothing happens on either issue, I'll rewire with Evo 7 harness.
Still missing section under dashboard with "initialization plug" but I'll buy that and
reflash E7 GSR ECU. I won't wait anymore after the rest of the "prep" is finished.

As a last resort... E7 ECU + ECUFlash + E8 Xede maps + more tuning for my Evo 6 RS2.
Sanctifier

Next

Return to Reflashing Software