No secrets here... I'll get to it soon.

Colby
cboles
Site Admin

Postby maalanar » Tue May 30, 2006 2:18 pm

any updates on the 1.3M schem?
maalanar

Postby LogicGateX » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:27 pm

Would we be allowed to make our own cables with the schematics?
LogicGateX

Postby cboles » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:03 pm

You can certainly experiment with the design for your personal use. The design is copyrighted, so you couldn't reproduce it and sell them to others.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby LogicGateX » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:18 pm

cboles wrote:You can certainly experiment with the design for your personal use. The design is copyrighted, so you couldn't reproduce it and sell them to others.

Understood and agreed. I will be awaiting the schematics :) Thanks
LogicGateX

Here is the schematic

Postby cboles » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:53 am

Here is the schematic. This is for a version that I have yet to make that includes voltage regulator for reflashing WRXs. You can omit this and it is basically the Mitsubishi version of the design.
Attachments
openport13.pdf
(334.74 KiB) Downloaded 14974 times
cboles
Site Admin

Postby imprezarsx » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:50 pm

I rather just buy it.
YUCK

I'm an electrician and I don't want to build it. Thank you very much for doing it for us!
imprezarsx

CBUS2?

Postby coder » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:49 pm

Universal cable would be great, shame that the current EcuFlash does not use CBUS2 to switch the 12V programming voltage for non-DBW Subaru modes, seems that for now we are stuck with RTS voltage control in the old fashion COM port mode (or maybe I’m missing something)

One question, why would you hook up HC257 A/B to RTS rather than to VCC?
coder

Postby cboles » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:23 am

EcuFlash doesn't use CBUS2 right now for Subarus because the current Subaru cable doesn't use that. It will in the future. I switched to using the CBUS lines for these signals because it safely keeps them away from being accidentally changed by serial port activity, such as legacy PnP serial enumeration in Windows. Turning on the Mitsubishi init line resets the ECU, for example, so you don't want that to accidentally happen while you are driving.

The HC257 mux allows the ability to swap the K and L lines. Some vehicles can do K type communications on the L line, and this allows you to do this. Better yet, it creates an easy way to do 5bps signaling on the K line by simply swapping the lines and then using the serial line which normally controls L to bit-bang. You can do OBD stuff this way without having to use the FTD2XX.DLL if you don't want to.
cboles
Site Admin

Charge pump

Postby coder » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:32 pm

Thank you for explaining the purpose of the K/L RTS inverter, controlling flashing voltages on CBUS outputs makes perfect sense.

I have one more technical question regarding the OpenPort 1.3 Mitsubishi cable. I’m assuming that it is using the same charge pump inverter based on 555 timer as the universal cable.

Is there a reason why you hold VCC voltage on BOOT line when 555 is not active, or is it just because you didn’t want to hold +12V

I also came across some weird issues with my OpenPort 1.3 Mitsubishi, somehow I can no longer download rom images from the cars that used to work perfectly fine before. I have a couple of your cables and both of them behave in exactly the same way basically failing the initialization stage. The air con relay and clutch are clicking as they supposed to be but on the third attempt I’m receiving code FFFF.

I have tested your cable on the bench and BOOT voltage is around 16.2V however it drops to 13.7V when plugged into ECU. I have also noticed that the VCC voltage is changing depending on the laptop I’m using (assuming vcc at standby on BOOT is completely irrelevant).

I noticed that other people experienced similar problems with initialization, have you found the solution? (it happens to me on EVO9 and EVO8 that used to work with your cables and software a couple of months ago)
coder

Postby cboles » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:50 am

The 1.3 Mitsubishi version uses the same charge pump.

The 5V is kept there out of simplicity. I have reverse engineered at least 5 different Mitsubishi ECUs, and this should not be a problem. With nothing connected, most cars will be close to 5V on this pin anyway.

I'm not sure how the 16V supply could be degenerating. I added an output resistance to help protect it, since the output really only needs to drive a failry high impedance divider network in the ECU.

You definitely should not see VCC changes from your laptop - this would indicate problems at your USB hub... What is the VCC you are seeing?
cboles
Site Admin

Re: Here is the schematic

Postby hmaki » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:31 am

cboles wrote:Here is the schematic. This is for a version that I have yet to make that includes voltage regulator for reflashing WRXs. You can omit this and it is basically the Mitsubishi version of the design.
¨

But this is not current Mitsubishi version? Am I right?
hmaki

Postby cboles » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:19 pm

It is. It just doesn't include all of the parts shown in the schematic.

Colby
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Jon [in CT] » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:19 am

I see that Tactrix is now selling an OpenPort Universal cable (1.3U) which supports Mitsubishis and Subarus (including 2001-5 WRX). I guess the schematics posted earlier in the thread are for this new 1.3U.
Jon [in CT]

Next

Return to OpenECU Hardware