Help Identifying CAP specs, OP1.3U

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Help Identifying CAP specs, OP1.3U

Postby mikec96 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 am

Like the title says. I need a little assistance in identifying what capacitor to order to do a repair on my OP1.3U cable. I have the schematic for the cable, C4 got burned to a crisp somehow. Not sure what happened, cable is pretty old and has a lot of use. USB cord has been replaced about 3 times now. Best I can figure just by using Google and better judgment...

2.2Uf, 16V, Tantalum, w/built in fuse...

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... -ND/819240

All help would be appreciated

Mike.
mikec96

Re: Help Identifying CAP specs, OP1.3U

Postby radsdau » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:06 pm

A little more info would be helpful, perhaps a photo, or a snippet of the schematic, or what C4 is described as on the schematic.

If it's tantalum then they can fail spectacularly if reverse voltage is applied; perhaps this one was put on wrong in factory and decided to fail just recently.

When you replace it just use a voltmeter to make sure a replacement one goes back on the right way. Buying from digikey is probably the best way; they probably have zillions of them.

What else do you need to know?
radsdau

Postby mikec96 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:24 am

The little Yellow cube is the CAP in question. Well not "The" cap in question, the one that burned up was identical to this one. luckily there are 3 CAPs on the schematic that are all rated at the same 2.2uf... Problem that is all the schematic says. It doesn't give voltage range or type of CAP, or does the type of CAP even matter? I Am thinking that I am going to check the cable again and if it is indeed logging fine then I am gonna upgrade to the OP2.0 and hang onto this one for logging. I think the CAP that burned up goes to the circuit that supply's the ECU with 12V to put it into "learn" mode.

Mike
mikec96

Postby mporeda » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:52 am

I thought I'd be able to get that capacitor value for you but I just realized it's not a Tactrix unit so I'm not sure what was originally used.
mporeda

Postby radsdau » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:30 pm

106 == 10uF
I'd be going for at least 25V rating (I couldn't tell from the markings what the voltage was; could be 10V, but go 25 if it will fit).

Go to digikey.com and search for "10uf 25V tantalum"... take your pick. :)
radsdau

Return to Interface Hardware