Unable to overwrite a tuned rom

Developer topics relating to software that reflashes or modifes ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Unable to overwrite a tuned rom

Postby foxbat » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:03 am

An 08 EDM STi which was previously tuned with ecuflash (not ecutek) Now, I'm unable to flash it back with the original stock rom! I'm getting the following message "the image you are trying to flash contains changes to protected areas! exiting" I've never seen such error before!
Any ideas how to go around it?

I did extract the tuned file, rom id is the same as the stock rom.
foxbat

Re: Unable to overwrite a tuned rom

Postby radsdau » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:33 pm

The bottom 2 flash regions are protected by ECUFlash because there is information in them that changes between cars (I don't know what it means though). If your tuning changes are in these regions then I would expect this error message.
If you read the file from the ECU and tune on from there, it should be ok. If not, I really don't know what to suggest, other than see if any tuning changes exist in the bottom 2 blocks and reverse them.
Let us know if you find a solution.
Good luck!
radsdau

Postby foxbat » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:26 am

radsdau wrote:The bottom 2 flash regions are protected by ECUFlash because there is information in them that changes between cars (I don't know what it means though). If your tuning changes are in these regions then I would expect this error message.
If you read the file from the ECU and tune on from there, it should be ok. If not, I really don't know what to suggest, other than see if any tuning changes exist in the bottom 2 blocks and reverse them.
Let us know if you find a solution.
Good luck!

Blocks order depends on the xml definition file, the bottom two that I have are 'idle control' & 'diagnostic trouble codes' are these the meant two blocks? Strangely, I'm unable to flash the car own original stock file over the current tuned one! Two years ago I flashed the car with an updated rom version without any issues.
foxbat

Postby radsdau » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:42 pm

Yeah, I think the code protection logic was introduced in between that time.
Read out the ROM and tune based on that, not the factory ROM you read a while back. See how that goes.
Or try using a really old version of ECUFlash (at your own risk).
radsdau

Postby foxbat » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:07 pm

radsdau wrote:Yeah, I think the code protection logic was introduced in between that time.
Read out the ROM and tune based on that, not the factory ROM you read a while back. See how that goes.
Or try using a really old version of ECUFlash (at your own risk).

I'll attempt to solve it tomorrow, I'll inform you if I'm successful
Thanks
foxbat

Return to Reflashing Software