Subaru ROM patching for logging

Re: Subaru ROM patching for logging

Postby mdedwar » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:54 pm

cboles wrote:I'll take a look at that ROM. There must be something different in the parameter read code...

mdedwar wrote:This was the first forester to come out with the canbus in Australia. CAN logging works fine.

Here is a link to the base ROM http://www.romraider.com/forum/download/file.php?id=5659

Hi Colby,
Did you get a chance to look at this?

Cheers,
Matt.
mdedwar

Postby cboles » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:14 pm

Digitalfiend wrote:What sort of speed improvements are we talking about here? Would it be realistic to get 5-6 samples per second with 6-8 parameters?

I assume this patch will obviously not work with any of Cobb's maps, right? I'm using an AccessTUNER Race right now on my '08 STI and use my Tactrix 2.0 cable to log, but if the speed improvements are significant, I might consider porting everything to ECUFlash/RomRaider and going from there. I find the current resolution of 300-450ms for 6-8 parameters a bit too coarse for my liking.

CAN logging on Subarus is already fast. This patch lets you get to the RAM parameters, which is key for getting at a lot of the full 32-bit floating point values. I also made the communications a little more compact, which could make it even faster. Honestly, the limitation right now is that I need to redo part of the filesystem code on the OP2 to do file i/o in the background so that I can go to higher logging rates without running into issues when SD cards have delays while re-writing data. Right now you should be able to log multiple parameters at 20Hz though. Faster in the future when the file i/o gets better.

c
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Digitalfiend » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:26 pm

It's definitely the RAM parameters that I'm interested in. So, theoretically, 20 samples/sec with multiple parameters. Now THAT is logging. :) I'd even settle for 10 samples per second. Excellent work.

Out of curiosity - and I'm sure it was probably answered in this thread somewhere - but when you say "CAN logging on Subarus is already fast", I assume this is something specific to the new OP2 standalone beta logger? RomRaider uses SSM over 9141 and doesn't do SSM over CAN, right? Perhaps I'm just confused.

Awhile back I was looking into using UDS service 23 (ReadMemoryByAddress) to grab ECU data over CAN but could never get it to work (I don't think the ECU was in the correct diagnostic mode or needed a call SecurityAccess - not sure.) I never got around to trying SSM over CAN. Duh. :P From what you're describing it sounds like your standalone logger is using SSM over CAN, which I believe doesn't support reading of those extended parameters, hence the need for the patch. Therefore, if I can deal with only logging standard parameters with my Cobb maps, the standalone logger is the way to go?

Thanks again.
Digitalfiend

Postby cboles » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:32 pm

Yes - I have been logging SSM over CAN for a while now, but the problem had been the extended parameters. I don't use Enginuity, but I believe they are just doing K-line. I can't speak for the Cobb reflash, but I would imagine they left the SSM CAN stuff intact.

Digitalfiend wrote:It's definitely the RAM parameters that I'm interested in. So, theoretically, 20 samples/sec with multiple parameters. Now THAT is logging. :) I'd even settle for 10 samples per second. Excellent work.

Out of curiosity - and I'm sure it was probably answered in this thread somewhere - but when you say "CAN logging on Subarus is already fast", I assume this is something specific to the new OP2 standalone beta logger? RomRaider uses SSM over 9141 and doesn't do SSM over CAN, right? Perhaps I'm just confused.

Awhile back I was looking into using UDS service 23 (ReadMemoryByAddress) to grab ECU data over CAN but could never get it to work (I don't think the ECU was in the correct diagnostic mode or needed a call SecurityAccess - not sure.) I never got around to trying SSM over CAN. Duh. :P From what you're describing it sounds like your standalone logger is using SSM over CAN, which I believe doesn't support reading of those extended parameters, hence the need for the patch. Therefore, if I can deal with only logging standard parameters with my Cobb maps, the standalone logger is the way to go?

Thanks again.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby cboles » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:38 pm

mdedwar wrote:
cboles wrote:I'll take a look at that ROM. There must be something different in the parameter read code...

mdedwar wrote:This was the first forester to come out with the canbus in Australia. CAN logging works fine.

Here is a link to the base ROM http://www.romraider.com/forum/download/file.php?id=5659

Hi Colby,

Cheers,
Matt.

I did. The code is a bit different and smaller, so I will have to re-work my patch code to see if I can make it fit, otherwise part of the patch will have to be put somewhere else in the ROM. I was able to neatly fit all of the additional patch functionality within the original code (which was bloated due to innefficient compiler used by denso) for the newer cars.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Mart » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:39 am

dont forget that for some reason, SSM is running at 4800 bauds. I would love to see a patch that will increase the baud rate and solve those problems :)

Mart

Digitalfiend wrote:What sort of speed improvements are we talking about here? Would it be realistic to get 5-6 samples per second with 6-8 parameters?

I assume this patch will obviously not work with any of Cobb's maps, right? I'm using an AccessTUNER Race right now on my '08 STI and use my Tactrix 2.0 cable to log, but if the speed improvements are significant, I might consider porting everything to ECUFlash/RomRaider and going from there. I find the current resolution of 300-450ms for 6-8 parameters a bit too coarse for my liking.
Mart

Postby cboles » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:41 am

I haven't. I'm working on a patch for that too, as well as support in EcuFlash for connecting to cars at odd baud rates. Keep in mind that there are often reasons that some ECUs work at slow baud rates - they still need to run the engine and depending on the cose don't have a lot of time to be servicing serial port logging requests... The multibyte request patch will really help with the K-Line SSM speed as well - each request for 4 bytes is only 3 bytes long, not 12.

Mart wrote:dont forget that for some reason, SSM is running at 4800 bauds. I would love to see a patch that will increase the baud rate and solve those problems :)

Mart

cboles
Site Admin

Postby parso_rex » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:16 am

mdedwar wrote:

Hi Colby,

Cheers,
Matt.

I hate to add myself to the list of those with CAN ecus that don't see the patch option. I'm another aussie except this time with an LGT 07 spec B.
A2UG002T
ID 4B52584207
The same Rom file is located here ->
http://www.romraider.com/forum/download ... hp?id=5716

No dramas if its a work in progress I just thought I'd let you know theres another one. Everything else works brilliantly and It logs pretty quickly anyway but I'm keen to speed it up
Cheers

Mark
parso_rex

Postby mdedwar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:48 pm

Hi Colby,
Any further updates on the new patch version? Are you able to confirm it will work with the ROMs that are slightly different?

Cheers,
Matt.
mdedwar

Postby Merp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:31 am

Colby, do you have an ETA for the K-line patches and adjustable baudrate in ECUFlash?

I've been looking at the 7058 serial comms code, and I'm wondering if I should even bother working on a new SSM routine to adjust the baud rate on the fly. If ECUflash will support new baud rates in the near future, it would eliminate the need for such a routine as we can simply set the new baudrate in ROM with a flash and be done. Also, if you need any help rewriting/adding to SSM for the compact multibyte read, I'd be glad to help out.
Merp

Postby cboles » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:50 pm

Dude. I am getting about 1000 parameter samples per second on my 2008 STI. I typically sample up to 20 params at 50Hz... You can literally follow the air and fuel through the motor...

:)
cboles
Site Admin

Postby cboles » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:54 pm

Merp wrote:Colby, do you have an ETA for the K-line patches and adjustable baudrate in ECUFlash?

I've been looking at the 7058 serial comms code, and I'm wondering if I should even bother working on a new SSM routine to adjust the baud rate on the fly. If ECUflash will support new baud rates in the near future, it would eliminate the need for such a routine as we can simply set the new baudrate in ROM with a flash and be done. Also, if you need any help rewriting/adding to SSM for the compact multibyte read, I'd be glad to help out.

Sorry for the slow response, I need to fix this forum, as it apparently isn't sending me any email notifications... I haven't had a lot of time to do this lately, so if you come up with any mods, that would be great, and I can include them in EcuFlash as well. Take a look in IDA as to what my CAN logging patch does so you can see what I'm doing. It would be great to do something similar for the K-line, and then up the baud rate in addition to that. A routine to change baud rate would be a better choice since that would allow OEM tools to continue working.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby mdedwar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:21 pm

mdedwar wrote:

Hi Colby,

Cheers,
Matt.

Hi Colby,
Now that your back did your have a chance to look at this????
mdedwar

Postby cboles » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:27 pm

I did look at it back when you sent it. The code is fairly different, and more compact, so I will have to develop a different patch that is located somewhere else in the ROM so that I can do the same thing. Just a little short on time lately :)

mdedwar wrote:
Hi Colby,
Now that your back did your have a chance to look at this????
cboles
Site Admin

Postby mgv101 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:28 am

So how exactly does the patching work?

Does EcuFlash simply carries a broad set of instructions to study and determine whether the ROM loaded could be patched and build its own patch if it is able to. Or is each patch specific to a list of ROM and if the ROM's ID is not in the pre-specified list where a specific patch had been made available, EcuFlash will not give you a patch option.

I also am unable to see a patch option for my ROM too
JDM Legacy BP5 Type E AT MY08.hex
(1 MiB) Downloaded 1531 times
and is interested in finding out what determines a ROM could be patched or not.

Thank you for all the great work so far!
mgv101

PreviousNext

Return to Openport Stand-Alone Logging Beta