How many times will the ECU take a reflash before failing?

User topics relating to software that reflashes or modifes ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Postby C6ect.ect » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:33 pm

JRSCCivic98 wrote:
C6ect.ect wrote:Im using a 20' extension USB to reach my car in the garage, will this cause anything?

So, do you push the button and then run to turn the key on to flash or do you yell down the hall to someone to do so? :lol:

No, the opposite - I turn the ignition to "on" then run across the laundry room to hit the enter key, about 1.5 seconds. If my kids are around I instruct them to hit the "enter" button when I say so.

All I can say is THANKS to those who revolutionized Evo tuning technology who made it possible for children to tune a car. I've paid $400 for less!

I wouldn't think the noise picked up from the extension would be any more than through the keyboard it plugs into.

Funnier yet, when my wife isn't around (and since I don't have a laptop) I plan to take her PC, monitor, keyboard, and mouse hooked up to a DC to AC converter and seat belt it into the passenger seat so I can do some datalogging with the evoscan technology :lol:
C6ect.ect

Postby laakness » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:22 am

I would love to pull up next to another car and see an entire PC in the passenger seat. I'd be speechless :lol:
laakness

Postby C6ect.ect » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:31 am

Datalogging successful with home computer!

Front pass seat sat the computer, keyboard on the floor, mouse on center console, 500 watt inverter wired to battery with 8guage, and lastly - a 16" (NOT flat!) monitor in the back.

$50 for inverter and wire is a lot cheaper than a laptop :wink:
C6ect.ect

Postby 05GarnetLGT » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:14 am

you can get a cheap laptop on ebay for 50 bucks.
hell, I have *2* old laptops that I could use for datalogging.
05GarnetLGT

Postby C6ect.ect » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:47 pm

05GarnetLGT wrote:you can get a cheap laptop on ebay for 50 bucks.
hell, I have *2* old laptops that I could use for datalogging.
I can paypal you $50 this week for one, interested?
C6ect.ect

Re: How many times will the ECU take a reflash before failing?

Postby MeOH » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:04 pm

3 years later, still no over flash related errors?

I'm thinking it's not like an analoge tape, more like editing and saving a word document. Works forever if done right. :D

Flashed at least 4-7 X a week on average for the past four years. Thats up to 1300+ flashes! Back in the old days I would pay someone $100+ for a flash, enough to purchase a 09 GT2
MeOH

Re: How many times will the ECU take a reflash before failing?

Postby taug6 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:33 am

MeOH wrote:3 years later, still no over flash related errors?

I'm thinking it's not like an analoge tape, more like editing and saving a word document. Works forever if done right. :D

Flashed at least 4-7 X a week on average for the past four years. Thats up to 1300+ flashes! Back in the old days I would pay someone $100+ for a flash, enough to purchase a 09 GT2

To be honest, even if it wasn't (working for ever) that shouldn't be a big problem :)

There are methods for balancing the reflashing memory wear.

E.g.

1) swapping memory areas every now and then so that you don't have to write to the same memory blocks (I know not very nice when you have to change the .def files - but who knows, memory a reprog-counter offset could be associated with them :) )

2) writting to spare areas in the flash memory :)
taug6

Previous

Return to Reflashing Software