Can anyone help with this ECU error

Links to datasheets, websites, etc. relevant to the project

Moderator: Freon

Can anyone help with this ECU error

Postby pinchers » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:57 am

driving home from work on friday and the CEL light came on, so i finally got a chance to plug in the tactrix cable to read the ECU error and this is what i got

(Manifold absolute pressure/barometric pressure circuit range/performance)

(Didnt realise the pic was so small)

took it for a quick spin today and the idle keeps dropping out when putting the clutch in, feels like a vacuum leak.

Can anyone help or tell me how to reset the fault with the software with out resetting the whole ECU or what could hae caused this problem.

Cheers
pinchers

Postby Freon » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:06 pm

You should use a real OBD-2 scanner to read codes. The code readers that use the Tactrix cable are not 100% reliable. Ecuexplorer, ecuedit, and I've heard even Cobb and Deltadash are hit or miss as well.

If that really is the CEL read by a real handheld OBD-2 scanner, you should pick up the Subaru tech manual and read what the CEL really means. I imagine it is expecting MAP to behave in a certain way. Perhaps compared to the MAF and engine load it expects the MAP to be within a particular range. Or perhaps it thinks MAP is reacting too slowly with throttle angle changes.

Since it is MAP related you might try logging manifold pressure and make sure it looks reasonable compared to throttle angle, MAF, and engine load. Engine load at 0 psig should be around 1.2-1.4 for a 2.5L motor and about 1.0 for a 2.0L motor, and around double that for 14-15 psig. -9 to -11 psig when idling.

Exactly what year, make, model, and market car is this?
Freon

Postby pinchers » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:23 pm

Its a UK WRX impreza with the PPP package, (2005 blob eye), it normally idles at -0.6 bar and max at boost 1.5 bar
pinchers

Postby haha » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:30 pm

that error code is typical of "boost cut" being activated
you boosting 1.5 bar on std td04 turbo ?
what boost gauge ?
has the ecu boost cut been raised ?
haha

Postby pinchers » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:54 am

Yeah its a standard td04 turbo, the gauge is a prosport gauge, ive heard with the Proddrive map the car can get 1.5bar, the CEL light came on with normal driving tho, no boosting at the time. ive not been playing about with the map or anything either.
pinchers

Postby Jon [in CT] » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:21 am

haha wrote:that error code is typical of "boost cut" being activated
Actually, it isn't. P0244 is what you get when you overboost.
I would check the throttle body and make sure it's bolted tightly to the manifold and make sure the pressure sensor is bolted securely to the throttle body.
Jon [in CT]

Return to Technical Information