Lots of questions!

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Lots of questions!

Postby BigToe » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:27 am

Hi guys, I've spent the last couple of days researching on google to find the info I need, with no luck. I've tried searching on this forum too but can't seem to find the basics. Well, I did find some stuff on Subarus and Mitsubishis, but I'm not sure that will help me.

Ok, let me explain my situation. I have a 2004 Renault Clio 1.5 dCi (common rail turbo diesel) and I would like to learn how to edit the ECU myself to improve performance (or upload a pre-tuned map if possible). I don't want to buy one of those expensive tuning boxes or pay £250+ for a remap. I would like to be able to map my friend's vehicles later on if I gained enough knowledge.

What I need to know is:-

• Can I tune the ECU via the OBD II port? I read somewhere that you can only reset error codes via the OBD port?

• Would I need a specific Renault cable, or does a universal cable exist?

• Does all software work with all cables/vehicles? Or again would I need specific Renault tuning software?

• Are there such websites around that offer pre-tuned maps for download?

I'm just looking for a starting point really, and so far I seem to be going around in circles. How do the professional tuners do this stuff?

I would really appreciate it if you could throw some tips this way to get me started, or perhaps let me know of somewhere I could get some.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
BigToe

Postby Morfeus » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:28 am

You can download/upload Delphi ECU (2004 Renault Clio 1.5 dCi 62hp/85hp/101hp) with kwp2000/kwp2000+/Galletto/cmd tools,
and edit programm with soft like WinOls.

• Can I tune the ECU via the OBD II port? I read somewhere that you can only reset error codes via the OBD port?

- you can do all things via OBD II port.

• Would I need a specific Renault cable, or does a universal cable exist?
- as I remember OBD II Renault port has not any difference on other.
There are 3 wire + 12V; graund; K-line;

• Does all software work with all cables/vehicles? Or again would I need specific Renault tuning software?
- 4 software for this - kwp2000/kwp2000+/Galletto/cmd

• Are there such websites around that offer pre-tuned maps for download?

- if you send me original, I'll do some help for you.
Morfeus

Postby BigToe » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:22 am

Hi Morfeus,

Great post, very informative thank you!

Let's see if I have understood correctly:-

•I use a 16-pin OBD -> USB/serial cable to connect the ECU to laptop.

•I download the ECU ROM using software such as kwp2000/kwp2000+/Galletto/cmd tools

•I backup then edit values within this file using something like WinOls, or I obtain a pre-tuned ROM for this car.

•I then upload the modified/new ROM using the using software such as kwp2000/kwp2000+/Galletto/cmd tools again

Am I right thinking any standard 16-pin OBD II -> USB/serial will work?

I found this cable for example HERE, would this be ok?

I don't need any expensive kit such as THIS? Or some sort of handheld flashing device?

Thank again!
BigToe

Postby Morfeus » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:54 am

BigToe wrote:Hi Morfeus,

Great post, very informative thank you!

Let's see if I have understood correctly:-

•I download the ECU ROM using software such as kwp2000/kwp2000+/Galletto/cmd tools

•I backup then edit values within this file using something like WinOls, or I obtain a pre-tuned ROM for this car.

•I then upload the modified/new ROM using the using software such as kwp2000/kwp2000+/Galletto/cmd tools again

Am I right thinking any standard 16-pin OBD II -> USB/serial will work?

I found this cable for example HERE, would this be ok?

I don't need any expensive kit such as THIS? Or some sort of handheld flashing device?

Thank again!

It's correctly.

>I found this cable for example HERE, would this be ok?
It's just 3 wire - it's not correctly.

>I don't need any expensive kit such as THIS? Or some sort of handheld
>flashing device?
Yes, You need device (and cable - 3 wire) like this.
But I think 300 euro is too murch (may be 300$ - if you will not find I'll find and give you right link).
Morfeus

Postby BigToe » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:21 pm

Thanks!

What about THIS?

Seems like a good price?

Or maybe THIS?

Is there a big difference between them? Is it worth getting the plus version for more money?

Also, I notice they only mention 1.9dCi engines - not 1.5dCi. Would they really not work with my car at all? Actually, looking at the KWP2000+ it mentions Renault Delphi - that would mean my car yes?

If you can suggest a better interface, I'd like to hear about it :)

Thanks
BigToe

Postby BigToe » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:22 pm

Oh, just found THIStoo - what do you think?
BigToe

Postby Morfeus » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:00 pm

BigToe wrote:Thanks!

Is there a big difference between them? Is it worth getting the plus version for more money?

Also, I notice they only mention 1.9dCi engines - not 1.5dCi. Would they really not work with my car at all? Actually, looking at the KWP2000+ it mentions Renault Delphi - that would mean my car yes?

I think you are right. You can use KWP2000+ and KWP2000 is useless for you. It's my fault.
Morfeus

Postby Morfeus » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:26 pm

BigToe wrote:Oh, just found THIStoo - what do you think?

I don't recomend you to use ebay for chiptuning tool/soft/tuned files.
I think you have to ask info about your car from Galletto/kwp2000+ clone producer (like
http://www.tek-tronics.co.uk/product_in ... ucts_id=57 ) .
Does not matter is your car in list of this clone or not.
Morfeus

Postby BigToe » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:42 pm

Hi Morfeus,

They only had 2 left today so I got a bit too excited and ordered the Galletto from eBay before you replied :oops:

But it did say on the advert that it supported Renault 1.5 dCi, so I hope it works alright! I suppose if it's no good for me I can put it back on eBay.

Would you recommend me to start looking for a pre-tuned map now? Or should I try to edit my own?
BigToe

Postby Morfeus » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:54 am

They only had 2 left today so I got a bit too excited and ordered the Galletto from eBay before you replied :oops:

But it did say on the advert that it supported Renault 1.5 dCi, so I hope it works alright! I suppose if it's no good for me I can put it back on eBay.

Would you recommend me to start looking for a pre-tuned map now? Or should I try to edit my own?

There are many bad Galletto 1250 (exactly 1250) clones on the "market".
You will read your car (with Galletto) then you'll give me original and I'll tell you that read-file is ok (or not). If ok you will write this ori-file in
your car. If your device is bad this action (writting) will no start (it's commonly for bad clones READ-yes, Write - not or READ and Write - not ). I don't know about cases of damage with writting but eBay is eBay.
We will think about it before writting but you can read your car with Galletto without any risk.

> Would you recommend me to start looking for a pre-tuned map now?
> Or should I try to edit my own?
Don't worry about it so far.
Just let me see ori-files.
Morfeus

Postby BigToe » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:33 am

Hi Morfeus,

Thanks so much for the help. I didn't realise this hardware was cloned by other manufacturers. I hope mine is a good one, or an original. Anyway, as soon as I receive the interface I'll try to read the ECU and send you the file.

Thanks
BigToe

Postby Morfeus » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:31 am

Thanks so much for the help. I didn't realise this hardware was cloned by other manufacturers. I hope mine is a good one, or an original. Anyway, as soon as I receive the interface I'll try to read the ECU and send you the file.

Thanks

It's not origina. Original has very very other price :-).
But I hope that it's good at least for your dci too :-).
Morfeus

Postby BigToe » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:56 pm

Really? :o

How much would an original cost, and where would someone be able to buy one?
BigToe

Postby Morfeus » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:58 pm

BigToe wrote:Really? :o

How much would an original cost, and where would someone be able to buy one?

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfis ... flli.it%2f

I don't know the price but > 1000 Euro.
Owner does not refresh data on his site.
Morfeus

Postby BigToe » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:58 am

Looks like I won't be getting an original any time soon! :shock:
BigToe

Next

Return to General Discussion