Information from EcuTeK

Announcements, dicussion about any topic that would have broad interest to the forum members

Moderator: Freon

Information from EcuTeK

Postby David-EcuTeK » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:57 am

EcuTeK LLP wishes it to be known that it owns copyright in EcuTeK software and its supporting documents and that it will act to protect these rights.

If you are concerned that you might have infringed our copyright or other intellectual property rights, or that you might do so in the future, we would be happy to discuss ways that a reasonable and amicable solution might be found.

David Power

EcuTeK
7 Union Buildings
Wallingford Road
Uxbridge
UB8 2FR
ENGLAND

Tel: (+44) 01895 811200
Fax: (+44) 01895 811611
sales@ecutek.com
www.ecutek.com
Please visit our EcuTeK Technical Forum
forum.ecutek.com
David-EcuTeK

Postby mumbles » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:29 pm

Where specifically are we doing this?

We have posted code about the ROM, but nothing about your software... that i'm aware of?

-B
mumbles

Postby cboles » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:33 pm

Many people have received a PM like the one I have responded to below. I thought I would share my response with you.

-------

Hello David-

I'm not sure what has given you the impression that EcuTek's software copyrights have been violated be me from any postings I have made on the openecu.org site. The purpose of the forum is the discusssion of Subaru ECU communication protocols for ECU reflashing and datalogging, which I will assume EcuTeK holds no copyrights to unless you inform me otherwise. I assume no responsibily for what others may discuss on this forum, but I have created a "Legal" sub-forum in which users can discuss the legality of various actions. The posting you have made to the Legal sub-forum regarding EcuTeK's copyrights, inviting discussion, is appropriate and encouraged. Ultimately it is the individual's responsibility to behave in a legal manner. It is not the intention or purpose of the openecu.org forum to promote violations of copyright laws. If you believe that there is content on the forum which violates EcuTeK's copyrights, please let the posting individual know and also contact me and I will try and assist you.

Colby

----

It has come to our attention that you appear to have been reverse engineering or assisting in the reverse engineering our automotive software products and publishing or assisting in the publishing the results of this work.

This is to inform you that copyright subsists in all EcuTek automotive software and its supporting documents and that we intend to protect these rights. We are currently taking legal advice to this end and, unless we hear from you in the meantime, you will shortly receive further correspondence on this matter from our legal representatives.

David Power

EcuTeK
7 Union Buildings
Wallingford Road
Uxbridge
UB8 2FR
ENGLAND
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Nemis » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:41 pm

same mail to me
but sorry i have reply in my language to do not translation mistake :-(

(i have also mail to ecutek that an parallel import say they have an evo ecu that actually not exist , and write this on forum.ecutek.com)
Nemis

Postby Kha0S » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:55 pm

Similarly, a number of screenshots of ECUtek's software in action have been published openly in traditional print media outlets, and as such, that information (which carried no intellectual property notification or designation of trade secret or proprietary nature) can be used by individuals who are researching the technology.

/Andrew
Kha0S

Postby happasaiyan » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:11 pm

apparently ECUtek owns the right to reverse engineer the subaru ECU? :roll:

sounds like they are scared.

if they wouldve given us what we want (user tunable reflash) from the beginning, we probably wouldnt be here. but they chose to ignore potential customers.

...and where are we even mentioning ECUtek?
happasaiyan

Postby Imp Guerra » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:32 pm

Do not pay any attention.
They have their own forum to post things like that.

They do not own any Subaru, EVO, and other protocol rights.
But in case of revealing flashing they will be without their money for every flash in the world.
They are selling their bites for quite a long period. Sell practically nothing for 1000$. Lets they go on with their software.

There are a lot of soft that can be flash various cars.
Like FlashBooster. And there are a lot of diagnostic scanners (Carmanscan-II, Lounch X-431) those have a lot of various protocols for many models and cars inside. And car-producers do not object it. Cos those devices help to repair their cars.

I use internet. Should I pay to inventor of TCP/IP for every minute of internet connection ?

1992-1996 Subarus have spare chip socket. And a lot of companies sell chips that improve Legacy's performance.
Then, in 1997 the controller was changed.
Only piggy / doggy and other "unichips" can modify intup/ouput signals but in general these are poor devices.

In 1999 FHI changed the controller once more.
It obvious that they changed it for the perpouse of tuning!
Nissan Skyline and EVO can be chipped ("flashed" is much correct). FHI would not to lose to competitors.
A lot of aftermarket ECUs are designed. Apexi Motec Link and so on.
But Subaru can be flashed only by Ecutek now.
With their exorbitant price for licensing for every flash.
It is monopolist in your market. And what is about anti-monopolist law :)
Microsoft pays some fine for such a policy.
And this english company is not an exeption.

Nissan ZX soft costs 150 euro for a copy. U can reflash as many cars as u want. And author published the schematic of the PC-ECU adaptor for DIY work.

Eric is cool fellow. :)
ecutek is greedy :evil:
Openecu is necessary and useful site!

P.S.
...and where are we even mentioning ECUtek?

They consider abbreviation DD to be their intellectual property!
Imp Guerra

Postby cdvma » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:08 pm

I talked about my software that is similar to DD...maybee they got confused? For the record I purchased DD because it is such a fantastic peice of software. I won't hesitate to sell it if they thing that open development of tools to support the community is infringing on anything of theirs.
cdvma

So much for "good will"

Postby bofh » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:13 pm

I had heard a lot of good things about the [i]product abbreviated by repeating two letters found close to the beginning of the alphabets, but not stated here for fear of (C) infringement[i] and was considering getting one to supplement my tools until we had something solid. Not anymore. I don't like companies that use the courts to insure profit. I haven't bought any new music in a few years either. I think this should be leaked to the public.
bofh

Postby Imp Guerra » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:19 pm

u see i know some people that never buy dd but can sell or send u it as a gift :)

but i never tell their names esp. on legal forums cos i obey the international law

P.S.
by DD i imply "Dual Duplicator"
and what do you think ... :)))))))))))))

P.P.S.
visit Cobb-tuning forum. They call the competitors app like "XYZ"
i think they also have some questions from greedy overseas
Cobb post their re-maps bins at their site.
but without MD5 check sum unfortunately.
When will XYZ post smth similar ?
Next century, when all Imprezas will be eaten with rust!
Imp Guerra

Postby stanton » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:57 pm

I think people are over reacting here. All EcuTek said was that they own copyright in EcuTek software, and that they will work to protect their ownership.

Who doesn't understand "don't steel our stuff"? Their software is not public domain, so don't copy it without their permission.

If you're not touching their stuff, then no need to be bothered here. They aren't telling you to stop everything else you're doing, you rebel, so lighten up. If I spent time and/or money to develop software it's my right to own it. If I don't want to share the source, it's my legal right not to. EcuTek's statement is a fair warning, which could keep you from getting in trouble in the future.

If you plan on breaking the law please leave the board now.

(I am not a lawyer. If you see something wrong here, please enjoy correcting me.)
stanton

Postby mumbles » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:30 am

Yeah posting here is fine. Sending me an email when i haven't touched their software nor do i intend to.... please. :roll:
mumbles

Postby VectorBundle » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:08 pm

Imp Guerra wrote:Nissan ZX soft costs 150 euro for a copy. U can reflash as many cars as u want. And author published the schematic of the PC-ECU adaptor for DIY work.

that's cheap. where i get this softw? it comes w/ flasher? or if not, what flash interface it's compatible with?

-alex
www.PCMperformance.com
VectorBundle

Re: Information from EcuTeK

Postby SilverBack » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:10 pm

David-EcuTeK wrote:EcuTeK LLP wishes it to be known that it owns copyright in EcuTeK software and its supporting documents and that it will act to protect these rights.

If you are concerned that you might have infringed our copyright or other intellectual property rights, or that you might do so in the future, we would be happy to discuss ways that a reasonable and amicable solution might be found.

David Power

EcuTeK
7 Union Buildings
Wallingford Road
Uxbridge
UB8 2FR
ENGLAND

Tel: (+44) 01895 811200
Fax: (+44) 01895 811611
sales@ecutek.com
www.ecutek.com
Please visit our EcuTeK Technical Forum
forum.ecutek.com

As an induvidual can I purchase ECUTek software for use on my own car?
SilverBack

Postby Evo4Mad » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:15 pm

How can you even copyright a set of Fuel and Timing figures for a factory ECU ???
Evo4Mad

Next

Return to General Discussion