New GUI version of EcuFlash

OpenECU software executables and source code

Moderator: Freon

New GUI version of EcuFlash

Postby cboles » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:37 pm

Here's a new GUI version of EcuFlash for people to try out. It doesn't add much functionality over the command line version yet, but it's built upon a platform that allows adding a lot of features. I hope to add a map editor to the tool next. Once I get the details worked out, I should also be able to support Mac and Linux release with the same GUI. The download is a bit large because it contains Qt and VC runtime DLLs. Future updates should be much smaller. Let me know what you think...

Colby
Last edited by cboles on Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Jeramie » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:00 am

The new Gui looks great. You did a great job. I assume it's been tested and works reliably? Just want to make sure before I begin using it. Thanks
Jeramie

Postby qoncept » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:07 am

Colby, I haven't used it yet, but it looks great! I did get an error on my friend's laptop when I tried to run it. Something about a missing DLL I believe. I'll check it out next time we get together.

Edit: It's doing it on my laptop too. The error is "The procedure entry point setvbuff could not be found in MSVCR71.DLL"
qoncept

Postby cboles » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:31 pm

Yes, it's been tested - I wouldn't want to turn anyone's ECU into a paperweight... Obviously, it's still wise to start out reading or test writing to the ECU just to be sure things are running smoothly.

qoncept: did the installer place msvcr71.dll and msvcp71.dll in your EcuFlash directory (where ecuflash.exe is)?
cboles
Site Admin

Postby qoncept » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:38 pm

cboles wrote:Yes, it's been tested - I wouldn't want to turn anyone's ECU into a paperweight... Obviously, it's still wise to start out reading or test writing to the ECU just to be sure things are running smoothly.

qoncept: did the installer place msvcr71.dll and msvcp71.dll in your EcuFlash directory (where ecuflash.exe is)?

Colby, for some reason the installer isn't copying the files there. Is there another place I can get them? I tried opening the exe with Winzip but it wouldn't open it.
qoncept

Postby cboles » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:45 pm

I see the problem now. It is fixed. Try downloading and installing again.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Spiider » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:49 pm

Hey, those dll's don't seem to want to work with my WinXP home.

What I did was delete them and the software ran fine without them in the directory.
Spiider

Postby cboles » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:40 pm

I don't know what MS was thinking, but there are different versions of MSVCP71.DLL and MCVCR71.DLL. I read somewhere on MSDN that you should put these in you application dir instead of installing of the $SYSTEM$ dir for this reason. It's been a few years since I've had to distribute VC++ apps, so I'm not sure what people need for a complete redistribution. Maybe I'll just pull those DLLs out of the package for now. Anyone running XP should probably have them.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Spiider » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:55 am

I guess you need to determine operating system in your installer and branch for dll's or no dll's.

Its not a big deal though, XP users just need to delete the dll's in the ecuflash directory and then ecuflash will use the system ones.
Spiider

Postby Jeramie » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:43 am

"Yes, it's been tested - I wouldn't want to turn anyone's ECU into a paperweight... Obviously, it's still wise to start out reading or test writing to the ECU just to be sure things are running smoothly. "

I figured, just wanted some reasurance. Thanks.
Jeramie

Postby cboles » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:37 pm

Spiider wrote:I guess you need to determine operating system in your installer and branch for dll's or no dll's.

Its not a big deal though, XP users just need to delete the dll's in the ecuflash directory and then ecuflash will use the system ones.

I just changed the installer to do just that. If you have the DLLs in you system dir, it does nothing. If you don't, it puts them in the app dir.

I tried statically linking the runtime, but I was having a lot of headaches making static runtime versions of the Qt DLLs. I might do that down the road though.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby NeverLies » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:52 pm

I just tested it Colby and it seems that synchronisation with the ECU is not as easy as with the command line version.
I need to press OK and turn on ignition at the same time to get it work.
If I turn on ignition first and then press Ok, I get no communication with the ECU.

Have you modified something on this sequence ?

Anyway, it's working fine with XP pro and XP Home (just need to delete DLL with XP Home)
NeverLies

Postby cboles » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:55 pm

What model car? Is it the equivalent of the 2002-2003 USDM WRX?
cboles
Site Admin

Postby NeverLies » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:33 pm

Yes, we were using this mode ;)
NeverLies

Postby cboles » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:57 pm

I'm testing a fix right now. Basically, a signal should be turned on before the instructional dialog you see at the start of the operation.
cboles
Site Admin

Next

Return to OpenECU Software