Giving up...Help me "kernel get version" error

User topics relating to software that reflashes or modifes ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Giving up...Help me "kernel get version" error

Postby badkulo » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:45 am

I was so excited about this diy tune on my 02 usdm wrx until i was stuck on this "kernel get version" error for the past 3 days; and thats with reading up on the procedures prior to the attempted read/reflash.

so, for the past 3 days, i have been searching ways to troubleshoot this error and this is what i did: reinstalled ecuflash, installed drivers for tactrix cable from ecuflash folder, followed the connectng procedures from scoobypedia with/witout the boot jumper, connecting the green plugs before/after clicking read from ecu button...but with no success of course.

some how i get the same error with the OBD-II cable disconnected from the OBD-II port. does this mean that the cable is bad? also, could the problem be with com port conflcts? being that tactrix cable is on com4, how do make sure if ecuflash is set up correctly since i dont see any settings that allows me to change com ports in ecuflash?

sorry guys, im just very frustrated. i guess couple of sleepless nights can do that to you. if anybody can shed some light on this for me it would be greatly appreicaited.
badkulo

me too

Postby tverdek » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:52 am

I have also been having the same problem. I however have a '00rs with '02 wrx usdm swap and using a '03 wrx usdm ecu to run it. i am using the tactrix cable and ecuflash/enginuity/ and even ecuexplorer... I can log data and such no problem, but cannot download or flash...

ecuflash:
[00:37:54.718] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start
[00:37:55.953] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start
[00:37:57.187] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start
[00:37:58.437] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start
[00:37:59.687] denso02_bootloader_cmd_start
[00:38:00.140] kernel get version

ecuexplorer:

ecuFlash [13/12/06 @ 20:12:36]
1452 byte kernel read.
kernel checksum is valid (n = 2).
kernel image loaded and verified.
denso02_bootloader_cmd_start
kernel flash disable
rkrv: preamble 1 no response

I've tried many times to quickly turn the key on and even had someone simultaneuously hit the read button but to no avail.... the fans cycle and cel flashes

i mimiced the green connectors and flash connector being jumpered per the wiring diagrams. I double checked all my connections with an ohmeter, double checked my wiring architecture, made sure my battery is charged up (even read the voltage with enginuity and it was fine)

I notice that i get the same message if i try everything w/o having the cable hooked up... so its really wierd.

I've searched all over on different sites an no on can explain to me why the problem is occurring. i found some posts where they eventually got it, but no explanation as to what was happening to cause the error. :x
tverdek

Postby wrx_aruba » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:36 pm

iam having kinda same problem cant connect to read my rom,

but mines a 2005 wrx, i will try to use the white connectors tonight but i dont think that could be it since the cars stays in diagnoses mode,

what i have noticed is that my car goes into diagnoses mode very quickly, so i must be lighting quick to connect?

i also have search the forum fully but most of the users who managed to get it work did not say how they did it :roll:
wrx_aruba

Postby wrx_aruba » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:36 pm

doublepost
wrx_aruba

Postby Twinturbo » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:01 pm

wrx_aruba wrote:iam having kinda same problem cant connect to read my rom,

but mines a 2005 wrx, i will try to use the white connectors tonight but i dont think that could be it since the cars stays in diagnoses mode,

what i have noticed is that my car goes into diagnoses mode very quickly, so i must be lighting quick to connect?

i also have search the forum fully but most of the users who managed to get it work did not say how they did it :roll:

No, you can take your time. Sometimes it takes several minutes before I connect in diagnosis mode (sometimes I forget to start up ecuFlash).
Twinturbo

Postby wrx_aruba » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:31 pm

i have tried everything...

even connect the flash block (white) but it doesnt do anything no differnce i still cant download my rom..

i must have the world rarest ecu :) (thinks that to stop trying)
wrx_aruba

try one more thing

Postby tverdek » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:05 pm

i looked at my wiring at the data link connector and I swear I'm missing the green w/black wire in position 10 that is called the ssm/gst line... i count 7 wires and the diagram says 8 should be connected to the data link connector.
could this be the problem? wierd thing is i never even touched it during the swap so per 00RS wiring diagram it should be there but i don't see it??? i'm going to look again tomorrow and make sure and if its missing try hooking it up.

what does ssm/gst stand for anyway?
tverdek

found the problem

Postby tverdek » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:40 am

look at wiring diagrams for both your stock wiring/data link connector(dlc) and the transplanted engine wiring/data link connector

i was missing a yellow w/green wiring at position 8 on my dlc and found that once hooked up at that position it downloaded/flashed perfectly

not sure if this answers all the: "kernel get version" problems, but it worked in this instance
tverdek

Postby Assami » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:01 pm

can you post a photo ... that will help allot.

thanks
Assami

Postby tverdek » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:43 am

i don't think a picture will help really...

reason i say this is that each variation of swap of engine A into chassis B will be slightly different in how you solve the problem. exactly what i did only really pertains to an 00-01' USDM chassis with 02-03' USDM wrx engine. It may actually be the same for other combos but i can't really vouch for that.

what you need to do is the following:

1) go to this website and DL your chassis and engine wiring diagrams and ecu pinout documents :

http://www.northursalia.com/modificatio ... iring.html

2) then go to the page in the documents that shows the wiring architecture of the data link connector (OBD-II port). there are only 6-8 wires attached to the available 16 or so slots...

3) trace each wire to its terminal end in both diagrams(i.e. the ecu at connector X pin Y)

4) then compare each data link connector(dlc) pin between both cars and figure out which wire is present on the engine's dlc and not present on your chassis dlc- or any other differences you notice. most should match straight up and go to the same basic places. in my case there was 1 extra wire present on '02 dlc that was not present on my '00 dlc. basic rule of thumb is to mimic the wiring architecture of the chassis that the ecu came from that you want to flash.

5) then run a wire from the terminal end (conector X ecu pin y) to the appropriate place on the dlc

6) you also need to to do the same thing for the wiring that puts the car into diagnostic mode.

7) again you look at what is supposed to happen on the chassis of the ecu you want to flash, and then mimic that on your chasiss wiring so that the ecu is accepting of a flash

hope that helps!
tverdek

Re: me too

Postby renhoek » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:51 am

tverdek wrote:snipped... I can log data and such no problem, but cannot download or flash... :x

How did you get it to log data? I haven't figured out how to do that yet.. :? (typical newbie). Are the green connectors joined? Reflash block too? Do you have a sequence of tasks I could follow?

Thx
renhoek

Re: me too

Postby Kosti » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:48 pm

renhoek wrote:
tverdek wrote:snipped... I can log data and such no problem, but cannot download or flash... :x

How did you get it to log data? I haven't figured out how to do that yet.. :? (typical newbie). Are the green connectors joined? Reflash block too? Do you have a sequence of tasks I could follow?

Thx

Hi mate,

This is what I've done on my Liberty B4 Twin Turbo.

[1] Find the cables and connect the two green plugs together, then plug in the white block connector as well.
[2] open up ecuflash and hit read rom.
[3] from the menu choose the year model for your car in my case 2003 which worked under 2001-2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
[4] Once ready you need to have your brant immoboliser off in order for it to set the ingnition to "ON" (this was what was causing my errors) But in other software like ecuexplorer I didn't have this problem, then actual name of the car would come up.
[5] This should then start the read process, once finished you need to save it some how to a xml, which is were I stopped.
[6] Turn off, remove test (green plug) and white loop block.

Hope this helps you out

Cheers
Kosti
Kosti

Postby Evo4Mad » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:46 pm

I too have this problem, after flashing the ecu a couple of times, ( I dont think I turned the car off after I flashed) I then went to try and compare the ecu with what I just read, and I can hear relays clicking after the INIT 0x01 but no response after resetting everything.

I have tried different laptops/different cables/different ecu.

The cable is fine, the laptop is fine,
Evo4Mad

okay problem found

Postby badkulo » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:52 pm

Hi, just want to let everyone know that the problem was due to defective cable. everything runs fine after i i got the replacement cable from tactrix. thank you all for your help.
badkulo

Re: okay problem found

Postby zigzagzok » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:48 pm

badkulo wrote:Hi, just want to let everyone know that the problem was due to defective cable. everything runs fine after i i got the replacement cable from tactrix. thank you all for your help.

hmm how did u know ur cable was broken?
zigzagzok

Next

Return to Reflashing Software