ECU Flash RAM Dump?

Developer topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

ECU Flash RAM Dump?

Postby ev8siv3 » Thu May 11, 2006 9:01 am

Can we get an option to DUMP the RAM as well? Like a seperate "READ From RAM" that dumps the 32kb RAM heap from 0x20000 to 0x29FFF? I know that ECUExplorer can query that range but this option would be very helpful for Realtime Tuning Research..? How about it :lol:

BTW, I dumped the first 8kb of RAM with EcuExplorer and it took 15 minutes! Mainly due to the "on screen" display of the dump as it happened. It would also crash if you clicked anywhere outside of the screen.
ev8siv3

Postby cboles » Thu May 11, 2006 3:31 pm

It's possible. SSM limits the range of ram addresses you can read, and also "remaps" some of the addresses so that certain parameters always appear at the same addresses even when they are actually stored somewhere else.

Colby
cboles
Site Admin

Postby ev8siv3 » Thu May 11, 2006 3:49 pm

cboles wrote:It's possible. SSM limits the range of ram addresses you can read, and also "remaps" some of the addresses so that certain parameters always appear at the same addresses even when they are actually stored somewhere else.

Colby

Even if we could start with the first 8kb that would be a huge help. Anything faster than EcuExplorer!
ev8siv3

Postby cboles » Thu May 11, 2006 3:56 pm

Well, pulling the RAM over SSM isn't going to be fast, period. Unless I change the baud rate and make the protocol more compact...
cboles
Site Admin

Postby calvinc » Thu May 11, 2006 11:42 pm

Anything faster than EcuExplorer!
its not ecuExplorer that is slowing the transfer rate down. its the SSM protocol as colby said. the baud rate is only 4800.

calvin.
calvinc

Postby ev8siv3 » Fri May 12, 2006 12:12 pm

calvinc wrote:
its not ecuExplorer that is slowing the transfer rate down. its the SSM protocol as colby said. the baud rate is only 4800.

calvin.

Thats awful! However in ExuExplorer if I put the query window in the backround or click out of the query window while its running the program locks up and the query stops. I think the dump to file is sufficient but the on-screen seems to cause problems.

I hope Colby can find a way to speed up that rate or at least just make an easier method to dump the RAM even if it takes 15 mins per 8kb.
ev8siv3

Postby ev8siv3 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:25 pm

ev8siv3 wrote:
calvinc wrote:

calvin.

Thats awful! However in ExuExplorer if I put the query window in the backround or click out of the query window while its running the program locks up and the query stops. I think the dump to file is sufficient but the on-screen seems to cause problems.

I hope Colby can find a way to speed up that rate or at least just make an easier method to dump the RAM even if it takes 15 mins per 8kb.

I was able to do a full 32kb dump in 15 minutes by moving the window as far left as I could where I could still barely click the Query button. It's something with my laptop display I guess.
ev8siv3

Postby xswrex » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:59 pm

it is the redraw of the window and the method for reading. As i have seen in ecuexplorer source, it reads multiple addresses (not memory block read) and updates the screen contents for each one.

correct me if i am wrong with this.....the baud rate being at 4800, estimate the overhead for packet headers,checksum blablabla,transmit and receive, 380-400 bytes/sec average sounds like is a realistic value for transfer. Using block transfer, the time required would be merely 80-90secs. I guess i will have to test this with the communication app i am building.
xswrex

Postby ev8siv3 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:10 am

xswrex wrote:it is the redraw of the window and the method for reading. As i have seen in ecuexplorer source, it reads multiple addresses (not memory block read) and updates the screen contents for each one.

correct me if i am wrong with this.....the baud rate being at 4800, estimate the overhead for packet headers,checksum blablabla,transmit and receive, 380-400 bytes/sec average sounds like is a realistic value for transfer. Using block transfer, the time required would be merely 80-90secs. I guess i will have to test this with the communication app i am building.

Thanks for looking into this for me, theres no need to see it onscreen and I figured doing it similarly to ECUFlash with the progress indicator would save a lot of time.
ev8siv3

Postby wheelerjb » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:47 pm

Can you then use the RAM dump info to read all of the "learned" values?
wheelerjb

Postby NeverLies » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:18 am

For sure you can. You just need to know exact adress of each value ;)
NeverLies

Return to Tuning Software