Attempting to write new DBW ECU ROM w/o success

Developer topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Postby RICK SCHU » Tue May 09, 2006 10:16 am

The 04 FXT has the immobilizer feature? If so, you couldn't take the ROM from and flash it to a different car. Even if that is not it, what I would do is make copies of your 2 ROMs and then use a hex editor with a compare feature and compare the differences in the 2 ROMs (this will only work if they are the same revision). Then, very carefully, change the hex on ecutek map originally on the car to match all the difference on the 2nd rom. If you see a bunch of differences on the first part of the ROM, then you probably have 2 different revisions.

I'm pretty sure that ECUTEK encryption is only for their software. So, the ECUTEK software reads some bit on the ECU and if it is set for encryption will not allow the tuner to read the maps. But downloading/flashing the ROM should make no difference.
RICK SCHU

Postby Freon » Tue May 09, 2006 3:08 pm

This is a separate issue to the immobilizer.
Freon

Postby Freon » Tue May 09, 2006 3:56 pm

Sorry guys. Still a no go.

I flashed with the fix as pictured on my other post to get rid of the supposed checksum problem and the car still doesn't run properly. The throttle pedal in fact does almost nothing.

Flash back to the stock image and it is fine, however.
Freon

Postby cboles » Tue May 09, 2006 4:05 pm

What else are you modifying in the ROM? Could you maybe email me the two files so I can take a look?

Colby
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Freon » Tue May 09, 2006 5:39 pm

I went back and did ONLY the checksum disable and it works.

http://freon.shackspace.com/car/ecu%20a ... HACKED.hex
Original, factory:
http://freon.shackspace.com/car/ecu%20a ... ORKING.hex

So maybe it is working... Hard to tell though.

I'm going to play around more flashing very minor changes here and there one step at a time to see what else I could've messed up.
Freon

Postby Freon » Tue May 09, 2006 6:28 pm

Ok I'm a moron. I missed the initial checksum start address value on the one I was flashing. That one value somehow didn't get saved into the ROM I was flashing. I at least have picture evidence that I was at least trying... :? I guess I forgot to save after that change.

Checksum hack definitely works. I retried, many changes to WGDC, ignition, desired boost, rev limit. Works fine. Image
Freon

Postby cboles » Tue May 09, 2006 6:32 pm

Thanks for the update. You had me worried. I've been staring at IDA trying to figure out what else could be wrong.... :)
cboles
Site Admin

Postby twg » Tue May 09, 2006 7:44 pm

sorry, been busy... I'll try the checksum fix tomorrow and post results, it sounds like that's what my problem is.

Couple of answers to Qs asked:

-04 FXT does NOT have immobilizer.

-ECUtek only encrypts the files on the PC, the data that is written to the ECU is not encrypted, and in fact replaces standard tables, how ECUtek prevents another tuner from reading this information, I don't know.

Thanks for your help Colby and Freon... quick responses indeed!

Sure would be nice if future ecuflash versions could automatically update the checksum value... ;)
twg

Postby cboles » Tue May 09, 2006 8:57 pm

I will have a version tonight that fixes the checksum in real-time while you edit. I call it achecksum module, and in the future there can be different modules watching over different ROM types. Because it works just like the ECU itself, it won't attempt to fix checksum entries which are already correct. That also means that if you do the hack I posted on the wiki page that Freon has tried, the checksums will be untouched because they are already valid.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby xswrex » Tue May 09, 2006 10:11 pm

Freon wrote:swifty: if that were the case, I would say the reason would be that the Ecutek software doesn't read the ROM at all, it only writes. All source files would be present on the PC, not in the ROM. That seems like a simpler explanation.

this IS the explanation, i only add that the PC side does all the rest, encrypt/decrypt, licences etc. From the moment that the rom is uploaded to the ecu, you can kiss all these rest goodbye :lol:

Freon wrote:I'm not sure it matters. I'd bet you can openly read, modify, and reflash a previously Ecutek'd ECU without any more issues than doing the same on a stock reflash when using the openecu tools.

If you can dump the rom, you can do whatever you want with it. Simple as that
xswrex

Postby swifty » Wed May 10, 2006 1:38 am

So does the ecutek license actually get installed on the ecu or does it reside on the PC of the tuner who sold the license to the car owner ? If it stays on the PC how does a 2nd tuner know if the car owner has bought a license in the first place or not, given that the software doesn't read, it only writes. Perhaps the license is checked as part of the write process ?

I'm just wondering how a tuner can tell if it has been done before as they charge different prices depending on whether a new license is required or not. Not that it makes a great deal of difference because I am using ecuedit and ecuflash and doing the mapping myself, I just like to be able to know what people are talking about when I read these ecutek threads.

Thanks
swifty

Postby Spiider » Wed May 10, 2006 3:58 am

Their software adds a couple small entries at the end section of the rom where it is mostly empty anyway.
Spiider

Postby twg » Wed May 10, 2006 7:33 am

YES! I can confirm that it worked!

I disabled the checksum by writing 0 to 0 as the checksum block. I didn't bother calculating the proper CRC... although I plan to once I'm finished tuning...

I was able to disable some CEL and raise the rev limit...
twg

Previous

Return to Tuning Software