Identifying different manufacturers rom images

Developer topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Identifying different manufacturers rom images

Postby qoncept » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:56 pm

I was planning on tweaking things to make Enginuity more friendly to other manufacturers than just Subaru later, but from a design standpoint, I think it would make more sense to do it sooner than later, and I want to start getting an idea now. Basically, I have cars I'm most interested in tuning, which are influencing the way I'm going. I have my WRX, my buddy's 95 Integra GSR (low priority because he's using Crome now), an RSX Type S (K series, with 4D maps) and my wife's Sentra Spec-V.

It seems the Honda guys are kind of dragging their feet with the latest ECUs and concentrating more on chipping old OBD-I units, so I don't have a rom dump to look at for the RSX. I've looked at a few of the older OBD-I maps, and haven't found a way to consistently find the ECU revision or even version. Some have it, some don't. It could be that some of the ROMs I'm looking at have been altered, though.

With Enginuity, I, perhaps incorrectly, assumed it'd be easy enough to identify what map you're opening and have the XML parser automatically searching for the appropriate definition. I'm going to go ahead and guess that this will work on most images, but I'm still going to add a definition chooser. It would sure be nice to have it work automatically in as many cases as possible, though. Maybe the internal storage ID will end up having to be a random, unique string of bytes, but it would be worth it in my opinion. If I'm just missing something and these ECUs do have the data stored, it'd be better.

More information here:
http://forum.pgmfi.org/viewtopic.php?p=61480
http://www.enginuity.org/viewtopic.php?p=213
qoncept

Postby cboles » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:06 pm

Since I'm only dealing with Mitsubishis and Subarus at this point, I haven't had a problem using a definition system that just matches a XML defined string of bytes at a XML defined particular address. If you knew there was some larger chunk that had a fixed pattern, you could just match a CRC32 of that area. I might add that feature to EcuFlash, but like I said, I haven't run into the need yet. You can always use multiple strategies like this to find the best match.
cboles
Site Admin

Return to Tuning Software