OpenECU tuning guide? Can we start one?

Developer topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

OpenECU tuning guide? Can we start one?

Postby gethin » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:17 am

Greetings,

I've been using my UTEC for over a year now and quite comfortable creating my own maps and have a firm grasp on what numbers mean what in each map cell, and when I change values what they will mean to my end result.

Over the past few weeks i've been using the tools from here namely Enginuity, ecuflash and ecuedit. Brilliant!

Can we start some sort of tuning guide, much like Mick the Ginge's UTEC tuning guide but for the OpenECU tools?

I am not 100% clear on what each cell value represents and if I change the values to what percentage i'm changing them. I have all the tools like wideband, EGT etc but it would be nice to know what resolution and units the values represent. I could randomly hack at them and see what I end up with but i'd be much happier knowing what the values mean before I go ahead and test some of my changes! The boost map is quite straight forward but the fuel, timing, timing correction and wastegate duty values are a bit of a mystery.

I understand that the IAM affects if it uses the low det or high det maps, that's about it!

Maybe we can start a basic tuning "what the maps mean" guide? Or does there already exist some soft of guide to how the stock ECU works?

Cheers!

Gethin.
gethin

Postby qoncept » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:34 am

I think it's a good idea. I think a wiki would probably be the best way to do it -- keep things organized while allowing everyone's input.
qoncept

Postby intrawrx » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:55 am

I second that idea, i posted exactly the same idea on the Tari forums.
:D
intrawrx

Postby Kha0S » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:32 am

The Wiki idea is a good one... anyone have resources to set it up?

Also, I know that one of the guys here (the name escapes me) has concentrated a lot of the raw knowledge over at www.scoobypedia.co.uk ... he's already running it as a Wiki. The reflash tools are covered, just not the tuning side of things.

Perhaps we should all sign up over there and start feeding the Wiki! :D
Kha0S

Postby qoncept » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:11 am

That's right, I forgot that was a wiki. That sounds good to me -- someone already interested in doing and has put a lot of work in to it.

In addition to tuning, yeah, it'd be great to tell people the entire process, especially since right now there are no 100% integrated tools. It'd also be nice to tell people how to do things like fix CELs (ie, Enginuity .14a fixed the up pipe cat cel by raising the allowed EGTs)
qoncept

Postby gethin » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:04 am

I guess the Wiki idea is the best! Who's brave enough to start it? ;) Might as well use scoobypedia as it's already set up!
gethin

Postby intrawrx » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:10 pm

Either that or i can set one up.

Not a real issue.

Let us know what he general consensus is.
intrawrx

Postby crispyduck » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:59 pm

Guys, would love you all to use my Scoobypedia site. More than happy to help lots here. May I suggest we all have a few days brainstorming ideas, topics, structure in no particular order. This will help me start an initial structure which we can all evolve in to the best OpenECU tuning guide on the 'net.

So to get this started I've started a page here:

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/ ... uningGuide

Simply go to the page, click edit, enter your nickname in the Author field, start typing, hit preview, then save.

This Wiki support multiple edits. Recommend you invest 10 mins looking at the great documentation here:

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/ ... ationIndex

Also feel free to email me info or post info here and I'll start collating it all and working with you all to get it up and running.

-Steve.
crispyduck

Postby gethin » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:29 pm

"Bobb's" street tuner (cough cough) documentation has some interesting reading too.............
gethin

Postby gethin » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:10 am

I've taken a first stab at it.

There are lots of tables though and there seems to be a confusion and lack of understanding on my behalf between which tables do what between the 2 editing software suites, ECUEDIT and Enginuity.

For example I take my ROM file, edit the boost map using ECUEDIT, save it then load it back into Enginuity and the boost values are unchanged? I notice there is a countdown when I save the map using ECUEDIT and it mentiones that it's a DEMO version, so maybe it's not actually changing anything at all!

If I use Enginuity it works fine, but i'm not sure which maps i'm changing, there are a lot less of them than ECUEDIT finds.

I know i'm bumbling along, but i'm not an expert! ;)
gethin

Postby crispyduck » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:48 am

Also the E****K / DeltaD*** docs provide good background info as does ecuExplorer's own user guide, especially with regards to a few basic tuning 'rules'.
-Steve.
crispyduck

Postby Kha0S » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:15 am

gethin wrote:I notice there is a countdown when I save the map using ECUEDIT and it mentiones that it's a DEMO version, so maybe it's not actually changing anything at all!

Oh, no, I can guarantee that it's saving the ROM. :D
Kha0S

Postby qoncept » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:02 am

gethin, the tables are very limited in Enginuity because I didn't provide a way for users to add their own in the old version and was busy working on it rather than adding support. When the new version is released, I'll have XML definitions so users can add ecu versions/tables themselves.

Another thing I forgot to mention is another little tricks guide, like how to fix the OL/CL delay in 04+.

At some point I think it would be good to have a library of images, with maps like Cobb has for the AP and such.
qoncept

Postby MRF582 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:24 am

This is a great idea. I've already started posting on it.

Particle Man, Particle Man
when he's under water does he get wet
or does the water get him instead
Last edited by MRF582 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MRF582

Postby gethin » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:14 am

Cool !!

My knowledge is pretty limited but i'll ad as much as I can!

Cheers.

Gethin.
gethin

Next

Return to Tuning Software