Tactrix + ???? = Road Dyno-ish output?

Developer topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Tactrix + ???? = Road Dyno-ish output?

Postby The Chris » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:59 pm

I know Enginuity and the Tactrix is a powerful tool and can spit out lots of logs.

I've searched a bit and can't seem to find out how to make it happen.

I've got a 2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT.

Thanks,

-Chris
The Chris

Postby S54fan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:22 am

RPM log and Dataloglab.
S54fan

Postby testes1010 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:12 pm

I saw this thread a few days ago...downloaded the free demo & wrote a Enginuity Log definition file....After a bit more playing w/ the software I will purchase it. Just log RPM, you'll get much better resolution.

attached...enjoy...

please place in 'C:\Program Files\DataLogLab\Universal Data Log Formats', then load using Menu > Customize > Options > File Locations & Power Graph 'Tab' > 'Path & Filename of Universal Data Log Definition File', then click 'Load'.
Attachments
Enginuity_WRX_DataLogDefinition.txt
(932 Bytes) Downloaded 955 times
testes1010

Postby LGT-3-6 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:14 pm

What kind of results are you guys getting? I could not get the resolution I wanted due to wideband noise in the RPM signal, but I have some suspicion this is due to the dual mass flywheel in my car.

Basically it was the difference between a novelty number and a tuning tool, like a load based dyno.
LGT-3-6

Postby Freon » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:19 pm

RPM is always noisy. It seems to be true for more than just our stock ECUs as well. I've seen it on a few other engine management systems, even on other cars. I suspect it is just because RPM is logged as an instantaneous measure, and the ECU is calculating RPM as an incredibly high speed (possibly several times per crank rotation even at high RPM). The crank is not rotating at a uniform speed. It could also be due to inaccuracy in how RPM is calculated, but I tend to lean towards the extreme speed hypothesis. Flywheel inertia could play a part.

So, basically you have to smooth the data.

Here's some playing I did with different window functions to create a road dyno, though I never bothered to finish it. It needs all the factor labels and units of measure worked out, maybe some sort of wind resistance and friction compensation, and a lot of polish. You can at least get the idea on the window functions.

http://freon.shackspace.com/car/ecu%20a ... adDyno.xls
Freon

Return to Tuning Software