ecuEdit v2.4 - ECU Tuning & Logging solution

Developer topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Postby Tea cups » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:51 am

xswrex wrote:I made this xml building app for FREE to support ALL the map editors and you are accusing me?

Xmlwrite has been an incredible help in jump starting the Subaru definitions, getting us to the point we are now and letting us know what is possible. So I, for one, thank you for creating it. I don't think there's a need to update it as we (as a community) already have learned enough to continue updating the defs for the future. It is just a matter of people getting off their arse, learning how to do it and contributing regardless of the software (even help create defs for Ecuedit :D ).
Last edited by Tea cups on Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tea cups

Postby Nemis » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:55 am

Nemis wrote:ps what is "Innovate Motorsport Copyright" in your soft?

@epifan ...
Nemis

Postby x99percent » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:58 pm

Nemis wrote:
Nemis wrote:ps what is "Innovate Motorsport Copyright" in your soft?

@epifan ...

The Innovate SDK for the wideband interface.
x99percent

Food for thought

Postby Hobbes » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:37 am

The demand for this OpenECU was based on cost. A lot of you people did not want to pay the high commercial cost of reflashing. So the inception of this forum came about. Free verses pay can be debated as you have but you will never avoid the bottom line. MONEY!

These formums cost, the programming cost, the time spent by the developers to support you cost. A feature request takes you 2 minutes to ask for but how many hours does it take to develope. While you are lounging or playing around someone has to hammer out the code after work or whenever they can. This takes away from their down time (working on their car, racing or what ever). In the work place you are compensated by something called over-time. These guys are not. It will be a time when this may not be worth if for them. When that happens well.......

Now to the point. epifan chooses to get his donations up front because he feels that he may not get compensated enough by a donation button. The other guys chooses to use the donation button.

Now the question is "How often is the donation button being pushed and how much is being dropping in the bucket". The product that you are getting saves you at least $400's if not more, and now what was your donation and when did you make it last?

We need to make it worth while for these guys to keep plugging along and the only way to do it is to give them what they ask. If epifan asks for $120 for his work ok, if Coby asks "just hit my donation button" then hit it a few times a year. Notice that I said a few times a year. Getting a flash program for $10 or $15 is stealing in itself!

These guys are doing all the work and if they can get a little something fine. Its free enterprise. They are creating the big savings for you.

As soon as epifan get back I'm buying his full kit and making a donation to the forum too! because these guys are deserving of it for what they are saving me.

If you only want to make a one time donation then at least make a fair value donation. If you can only spare a few dollars then do it a every quarter. If anything go to Mc Donalds and eat a burger instead of Applebees, that should save you at least $15.

Hobbes

Have you made a donation?
Hobbes

Postby Freon » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:08 pm

It seems like those complaining the most the ones contributing the least.

I make a choice when I post on here to present that as free information. I don't expect others to feel obligated to do the same.

It's pretty easy to say anyone charging for a very powerful program is doing so on the back of others' work. It's obviously true. But I don't understand the supposed obligation.

Epifan hasn't included or relied on any information or programming that wasn't chosen by its author to be free. Perhaps it is a wakeup call that people are going to charge for some of their products. Ecuedit has had a demo warning in it for months when saving a file! This shouldn't be a surprise. Expect more commercial products to appear. Just don't be so surprised next time.

Ecuedit is easily the most powerful single program here. It's logging and tuning portions easily eclipse everything else out there.

Right now the typical user can still get away with an $80 cable and free software. Even if you choose to buy Ecuedit 'cause it kicks so much ass you're still looking at an investment for $200 to do what only one other commercial product offers at about $800. I even expect some of ecuedit is better than Cobb's ST, from what I've seen of the screenshots (3D display of maps, 3D logs, etc).
Freon

Postby 05GarnetLGT » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:21 pm

how is it complete? it relies on another person's software for 2 different things!
05GarnetLGT

Postby Freon » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:22 pm

05GarnetLGT wrote:how is it complete? it relies on another person's software for 2 different things!
Seriously, move on. Everything here relies on other software. Everything. There is no one piece of software here that does everything.

You're accomplishing nothing and just picking fights. There are plenty of other pieces of software for you to use rather than bitch, whine, and moan about this one.

I ran a highlight on "complete" and haven't seen anyone call it complete for days. In fact, it seems you, JRS, etc are the only ones using the "complete" word. It is highly debatable what "complete" means. Drop it already...
Freon

Postby 05GarnetLGT » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:40 pm

I guess I just resent doing beta testing for commercial software, especially since I didn't find out until later that I was beta testing... :roll:
the enginuity to ecuedit converter also pisses me off.
05GarnetLGT

Postby JRSCCivic98 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:25 pm

I'll post it ONE LAST TIME so that everyone here including Epifan can get it! Make ecuEdit come with ALL freaking XML def files for every ROM available (well, at least 90% of them), make the defs 100% correct and I and everyone else WON'T have a problem paying for the program. Yes, it really is that simple.

THAT IS ALL!!!
JRSCCivic98

Postby Freon » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:48 pm

You obviously don't want to pay money for it, so why don't you just move on with your life?

So what if it never comes prepackaged with XML data? Are you going to go beat him up and take his lunch money? Tell his mother on him? I have no idea what you're trying to prove here.

JRS, you have made a choice in YOUR mind that the editor MUST come with all 100% correct XML data. No one can offer that. Prepare to be disappointed. I will again make the suggestion that you should maybe come back in 6 months or a year when things are a bit more settled. Perhaps a Cobb AP + ST for $800 would more closely meet your demands.

XML data is not easy to create or verify. You're going to be sorely disappointed if you think anyone is going to provide 100% ECU coverage, and 100% verified and validated data anytime soon. So again, prepare for stark disappointment from the Openecu project as a whole. If you want to get all sour about, take it back to NASIOC, please... The rest of us are pretty grateful at what we can do. You seem quite bitter than things aren't going YOUR way. Grow up.
Freon

Postby monsta11 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:47 am

JRSCCivic98 wrote:I'll post it ONE LAST TIME so that everyone here including Epifan can get it! Make ecuEdit come with ALL freaking XML def files for every ROM available (well, at least 90% of them), make the defs 100% correct and I and everyone else WON'T have a problem paying for the program. Yes, it really is that simple.

THAT IS ALL!!!

You obviously have no idea how labour intensive completely defining the roms are. It takes a lot of us on this site to help colby with finishing the work and we only touch the tip of the iceberg of the work he does.

Piss off and go get pay for an ECUtek
monsta11

Postby disque71 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:23 am

what is ecuecits main site?
disque71

Postby Tuned by LIM » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:04 pm

disque71 wrote:what is ecuecits main site?

ecuEdit Forum.

http://www.epifansoft.com/phpBB2/index.php
Tuned by LIM

Postby can_sti » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:34 pm

I just can't beleive this thread !

Just a buch of guy using stolen software claiming to be their own... the bashing the starter of this entire bullshit because he want's to pocket some !

YOU are simply a bunch of Americains !

How low can you guy get ??
can_sti

Postby 05GarnetLGT » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:25 pm

since when is being called an american an insult?

what is stolen?

do you have any constructive purpose for being in this thread?

does this call for a trollban?
05GarnetLGT

PreviousNext

Return to Tuning Software