Nico Analyze

Developer topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Nico Analyze

Postby qoncept » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:18 am

I'm not sure how people have been finding the data locations in images, but I just thought I'd share what I do. I use a program called Nico's Analyze that I found on pgmfi.org. It makes it a whole lot easier to find trends because it colorizes each byte, and you can change the width, resolution and offsets to make tables pretty easy to see. And it just so happens theyre in yellow and red, just like Enginuity, which makes it even easier. :)

Hopefully someone else will find this useful as well.
Attachments
Analyze.zip
(282.93 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
qoncept

Postby crispyduck » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:19 am

qoncept,

Thanks for that. I've had a go at using Nico Analyze and with reference to your existing notes on MY03 EDM WRX Offsets I can see the 'patterns'. I can see that identifying these patterns/tables is hard enough, let alone knowing which ones represent BOOST_RPM_START or BOOST_THROTTLE_START. Perhaps one day someone will write something up about this i.e. what maps an ECU uses and how granular the maps one should be identifying. Perhaps someone has already?

At the moment it all looks like black magic and I was happy to take a look to have some appriciation of the process. Even more so to understand how easy it would be to make a mistake - note worthy for when I eventually get up to speed and feel confident enough to reflash an altered image to my ECU.

Thanks again for your commitment and hard work to this community project. This is excellent work.

-Steve.
crispyduck

Postby qoncept » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:25 am

Identifying tables isn't too hard. If I'm looking for, say, a boost table, I'll open up Enginuity and load an image that I already have the boost table implemented in, and just look for the same thing in the ROM. Usually I just start by looking for tables and then figure out what they are and if it's relevent. It also helps that they're usually around the same part in each ecu revision -- usually above 0x29000. That's why I'm having more trouble with the EDM image, which is quite a bit different.

It helps to look at a few first. Timing and fuel tables are 16 columns, wastegate duty and boost are 8. Sometimes you'll find an oddball timing table that's only 15, but thats easy enough to account for.
qoncept

Return to Tuning Software