First time tuning

Developer topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

First time tuning

Postby BarryC » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:30 pm

ok I have a good grasp on ECU tuning just lacking the experience and points to start with,
I have sucessfully downloaded my cars rom changed my speed limiter and written back to it,
horray you say,
but I want to map for the fuel octane grade here which is 95RON and I want to know where to start tuning,
I currently dont have a wideband yet but is it possible to start tuning with datalogging software,
where is the first point to start on the map and which map do you modify first,
is their a write up for the actual tuning process anywhere,
BarryC

Postby Freon » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:55 pm

There is no "the tuning process."

I suggest picking up a few books.

Forced Induction Peformance
A. Graham Bell

Maximum Boost
Corky Bell

How To Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems
Jeff Hartman

You can find them on Amazon.com .

It is not a simple or easy process. You really need to understand what you are doing rather than read a two paragraph description on the internet.
Freon

Postby Rotawerx » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:02 pm

I advise looking at EFI University, and maybe do one of their courses. They make it (almost) idiot proof to tune your car.

http://www.efi101.com/efi101.html
Rotawerx

Postby dynowog » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:47 pm

the best advice on general tuning i can give is you need an afr/lambda meter if its the only tool you have its necesary

the logging from what i can see from reading some posts shows knock

firstly i would start by deciding on a power level / intended use for the vehicle then from there you can choose what mods you need and where to start on the tune

assuming you just want a bit more power and keep the car std to run 95 ron, i would leave the boost as is, check your afr's as they will be overly rich at higher load's get them close then add timing to increase the burning eficiency of the engine.

then recheck the afr's as you increase timing

using this method i have raised the power from 95 awkw to around 125awkw on a 00 wrx

these figures are in respect to my dyno and may differ from other dyno's and countries specs

hope this gave you some insight to the correct process with tuning your car
dynowog

Return to Tuning Software