EDC16 failed while writting. ECU locked?

Developer topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

EDC16 failed while writting. ECU locked?

Postby lqbweb » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi,

I tried to flash my Fiat ECU EDC16 with MagPro and suddenly started to appear some faults in the DashBoard, the program asked me to turn off the key and then the car is not work anymore. I think the ECU is kind of locked.

Any help would be appreciated... Why could it happen?

Thanks!
lqbweb

Re: EDC16 failed while writting. ECU locked?

Postby radsdau » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:19 pm

More likely the ECU is 'bricked' rather than 'locked'. Bricked means that it becomes basically like, well, a brick... not good for much else. To repair it can be difficult without the correct tools. Some ECUs can be reflashed with an on-board bootloader, if the reflashing software supports it. Others need a low-level flash, like a "background diagnostic mode" (BDM) etc. You'll have to work out what microcontroller is in your ECU.
If it were me, I'd be contacting the producers of the reflash software and asking for their help; they've most likely encountered this sort of thing before and may know what to do.
Let us know how it goes.
radsdau
radsdau

Postby lqbweb » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:27 pm

thank you :) that is what im gonna do...

but im more interested to know why happened... I dont want it happen again :S

Is it possible that my previous map got any special protection to avoid being modified?

Thankss
lqbweb

Postby radsdau » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:10 pm

Possible but unlikely in my experience. Bad flashes just happen sometimes. For Subaru at least, the trick is to not turn the key off after a bad flash else it bricks the ECU, just retry. That may be the same with your ECU, I can't say.
Perhaps the flashing software isn't suited for exactly your model, and the flash method is slightly different; it may have gotten through the erase process then failed to flash, leaving the ECU erased; it depends on how far through the process it actually got, which you don't say.
radsdau

Postby christiangoodwyn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:41 pm

The car's ECU might not be complicated to work with your system! Hopefully the car would turn on so you can keep driving coz it's really hard to tinker with the electronic stuff especially the ECU.

Postby tl22bq » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:36 am

on some fiat (ex edc16c34) when flash tool tell you tu turn off ign you have to take out the key from ign and wait fore dash to be dark in at lest 3 min or nozzelcodes will be lost then you need dealerships tool to code them.
tl22bq

Postby Marcello » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:54 am

you can restore that obd if you have good tool like cmdflash official tool

anyway even if not possible to repair obd you can also do it bdm but need to repair file
don't write in bdm mode make sure to have the crasched bdm file and that it's correctly read before write anything !
Marcello

Postby Marcello » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:56 am

tl22bq wrote:on some fiat (ex edc16c34) when flash tool tell you tu turn off ign you have to take out the key from ign and wait fore dash to be dark in at lest 3 min or nozzelcodes will be lost then you need dealerships tool to code them.

hum that aren't really fiat Edc16C34 is only used onPeugeot citroen platform vehicles they may been branded fiat but in reallity are peugeot citroen

fiat use edc16C8 9 or edc16C39 or edc15C7

psa use edc15C2 and edc16C3 and C34
Marcello

Return to Tuning Software