Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 4/5/6/7/8/9 EvoScan Project

Developer topics relating to software that logs data from ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Postby Second Chance » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:16 pm

Is that image actual size? 732px x 602px Same size when viewing guages/graphs? Or is it scaleable as my display is 800x480
Second Chance

Postby alwaysinboost » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:11 pm

I don't what to be a PITA but can we get an honest release date? Its said "just a few more evenings" for almost two weeks now...
alwaysinboost

Postby Evo4Mad » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:27 pm

I would release it to you if the graphs and gauges were finished, I only just put the graphics onto the main form yesterday, also I want to get my waterpump fixed on my Evo4 and then I'll finish it and put out an initial release. The logging is working perfectly, just hope the data is accurate.. but people will give me feedback on what is and isn't hopefully. This is still just an in-development topic. I will not fold to the pressure and release a substandard product :) This is just a hobby for me, it depends how much time I can get away from my wife :)
Evo4Mad

Postby donour » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:56 am

Evo4Mad

Sorry to bug you this close to the release, but is there any chance I can convince you to release the communication code under a free (as in freedom) license? I'm sure I could raise a reasonable monatary donation for your trouble.

donour
donour

Postby hexman » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:02 am

Evo4Mad wrote:This is just a hobby for me, it depends how much time I can get away from my wife :)

I hear you brother! I am frequently in the dog house...
hexman

Postby alwaysinboost » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:51 am

nobody is asking you to release a substandard product. at this point anything you provide will be better then whats out there now, which essentially is nothing unless you want to spend $$$ on ECU+ or something.

If you at least have the capablity to log and view data that will be enough for most of us to get started tuning. Which is what we really want to do. I don't care as much about graphing at this point as just seeing the raw data, but it will be a nice option in the future. Besides isn't that what software revisions are for anyway.

In addition to that if you make the code public you will have a whole lot more help in completing the project.

Just some ideas from an anxious EVO owner.
alwaysinboost

Postby the-moss2 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:19 am

alwaysinboost wrote:nobody is asking you to release a substandard product. at this point anything you provide will be better then whats out there now, which essentially is nothing unless you want to spend $$$ on ECU+ or something.

If you at least have the capablity to log and view data that will be enough for most of us to get started tuning. Which is what we really want to do. I don't care as much about graphing at this point as just seeing the raw data, but it will be a nice option in the future. Besides isn't that what software revisions are for anyway.

In addition to that if you make the code public you will have a whole lot more help in completing the project.

Just some ideas from an anxious EVO owner.

As an Evo owner I understand the frustration and impatience. But as a developer I can totally relate to Evo4Mad, everything always takes longer than expected, you run into problems and delays especially when doing it on your free time. As the impatience there is a lot of pressure from people to get unrealistic release dates.

Remember, as soon as this is released Evo4Mad is going to be swamped with feature requests and probably bug fixes from everyone using this. So I think it is better that we let him get on with the development and get it to a stage he is happy with. Once he has what he thinks it needs then he will release it and be ready to receive the huge amount of feedback that he's going to get.

Let's just try to be patient, not have this product rushed (mistakes could be costly for the user). I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
the-moss2

Postby jmoudry » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:35 am

Let’s give the man a break he is doing a great service to the EVO community by taking on this project. No one is paying him for his time and the only mention of payment I saw ($15 including all future updates) is minimal compared to the other options available. Soon we will have a tuning package ECUflash, this datalogger and the 1.3m cable that cost under $110. That is really great for the DIY EVO enthusiast.
jmoudry

Postby mchuang1 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:06 am

Just continue doing what you doing man, there is no pressure especially since this is freeware or only($15.00), beggars cant be choosers.
mchuang1

Postby andenbre » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:15 pm

jmoudry wrote:Let’s give the man a break he is doing a great service to the EVO community by taking on this project. No one is paying him for his time and the only mention of payment I saw ($15 including all future updates) is minimal compared to the other options available. Soon we will have a tuning package ECUflash, this datalogger and the 1.3m cable that cost under $110. That is really great for the DIY EVO enthusiast.

+1
andenbre

Postby Evo4Mad » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:30 pm

Yes all my windows forms I create allow them to be resized/scaled nicely, but by default it will reset themselves every time you reopen the main form, I will add to the program to save its last main form sizing. It already does this for the gauge screen positions and sizings. Each gauge is zoom resizable too, they look really nice whether showing 1 full screen gauge or 20 gauges :)

Second Chance wrote:Is that image actual size? 732px x 602px Same size when viewing guages/graphs? Or is it scaleable as my display is 800x480
Evo4Mad

Postby laakness » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:57 pm

That is a good idea. It's going to be awesome.
laakness

Postby domsub » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:05 am

Is it an opensource project ?
domsub

Postby djmikeymike » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:06 pm

bump for a update 8) ......... i have 5 gallons of 103 race gas i need to tune for :twisted:
djmikeymike

Postby chrisw » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:39 pm

Evo4Mad wrote:I would release it to you if the graphs and gauges were finished, I only just put the graphics onto the main form yesterday, also I want to get my waterpump fixed on my Evo4 and then I'll finish it and put out an initial release. The logging is working perfectly, just hope the data is accurate.. but people will give me feedback on what is and isn't hopefully. This is still just an in-development topic. I will not fold to the pressure and release a substandard product :) This is just a hobby for me, it depends how much time I can get away from my wife :)

I would be happy without the fancy gauges to be honest.
chrisw

PreviousNext

Return to Data Logging Software