Need help testing for new mobile logger

Developer topics relating to software that logs data from ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Need help testing for new mobile logger

Postby galvitron » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:47 pm

Hello all,

I have been having trouble finding devices that will recognize the tactrix cable. So I created a test app that will find out. If you have a device with Windows Mobile or Pocket PC and the device has an onboard USB port, then you can test with the tactrix cable. As soon as I can find out which devices will run this, I can get the mobile logger out sooner.

Wouldn't it be cool to log on your small mobile device versus a bulky laptop? But I need the community's help!

Supported devices are WinCE 4.2 and later, which include:

WinCE 4.2
PocketPC 2003
Windows Mobile PocketPC 5.0
WindowsCE 5.0

So I have put a small test app up for download at:

http://files-upload.com/124734/testsetup.CAB.html

The app is NOT a logger, it is just a testing tool.

To install the test app, simply connect your device via activesync to your pc. In the activesync window, hit explore or browse and you will be presented with an Explorer window. From here go into "My Device" and copy this file into some folder. Once the copy is complete, go to the mobile device and browse to that file and run it. It will install the test app and put a shortcut in the startmenu.

You will also need the .NET compact framework 2.0 and the FTDI driver for your device (most cases ARM).

You may want to try getting the tactrix cable recognized first as this app is useless without that.

Once you have it up and running, use the following buttons:

1. "Init". This will enumerate the devices and fill the dropdown
2. Choose the device in the combo. If it is not there...problem
3. Hit "Open". This will init at the Evo baudrate and send the 5 baud + extra init crap
4. Pick or type some data to send into the "Send..." box. The response will show in the listbox.
5. Close

If you can, try this out and let me know which devices will or will not work. Thanks in advance!!

Jeremy
galvitron

Postby Evo4Mad » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:21 pm

I couldn't find any mobile devices at work that would work, and we have hundreds.

I am looking into the Bluetooth obdII connectors.. now that would be cool, lots of phones are bluetooth enabled. The bluetooth chipsets are still a little too pricey though. Might be able to make a bluetooth cable for $100, anybody seen any around?
Evo4Mad

Postby The Chris » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:39 pm

I'd love to help out, but I can't for the life of me get my Toshiba e755 with Windows Mobile 2003 to identify the Tactrix cable. I have tried all the FTDI drivers with no luck.

Does anyone know how to get these drivers to load? I followed the directions exactly as the Upgrade.txt file told me to do.

-Chris :?:
The Chris

Postby Evo4Mad » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:06 pm

did you set the vid to CC48 ?
Evo4Mad

Postby The Chris » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:46 am

Evo4Mad wrote:did you set the vid to CC48 ?

???

I can't get the driver to load for the cable. ftdi_sys.dll

It asks me to enter the name of the device, I copy the DLL and INF files into \\Windows like it says, I enter ftdi_sys.dll to name the device, it doesn't error out, it just asks me again to enter the name.

Lost here.
The Chris

Postby twinky » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:11 am

Onboard USB? how many devices actually have that? mine (and most PPC devices) are miniUSB. now if we could use a USB to mini usb converter, then we are cookin'.
twinky

Postby BoxerFan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:04 am

Most PDA's do not have USB host functionality. :cry:

USB host is needed to detect Tactrix cable.
BoxerFan

Return to Data Logging Software