Yamaha Waverunner ECU

Developer topics relating to software that reflashes or modifes ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Yamaha Waverunner ECU

Postby VL400 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:51 am

Hello everyone, I have a ECU from a Yamaha Waverunner that I want to be able to reflash. Its made by Mitsubishi Electric and looks to have the same/similar CPU as the Evo X - a M32R. The ECU was first used in 2008 for the 1.8L NA and supercharged jet ski's, there are companies reflashing these so it is def possible. There is a wiki I have added some pictures to of the ECU that might help, it was fully potted so have removed it all from a spare ECU .. http://yamahaecu.wikispaces.com/ECU+Har ... nformation

The ski uses a k-line data interface to communicate with the dash. On the ECU PCB of the bottom side there are a series of 5 pads labelled JP1 between the harness connectors - it has ignition voltage, earth, k-line data and an unknown signal I am tracing on the PCB.

Am happy to try anything on this spare but dont want to erase the CPU before I can get the rom out!

VL400

Re: Yamaha Waverunner ECU

Postby radsdau » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:20 pm

Well done getting that potting off- that's some task!!
See if you can locate the equivalent of the Test Mode Voltage line, the one that gets driven to 15-18V on EVO 7-9 to enter reflash mode. The *might* be your unknown signal; careful though, if it's not, 18V will probably damage the PCB.
Then with any luck you *might* be able to read it with EVO8 or 9 method or similar.
radsdau

Postby Sasha_A80 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:33 pm

I am afraid Evo 8/9 has another processor chip.
M32R is used for EvoX and Hitachi made Subaru NA 4-cyl engine ecu's.
Sasha_A80

Postby VL400 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:16 pm

Can anyone explain the hardware requirements for the reflash read/write process? From the release notes...
"Later processors like the SH2 and M32R generate this reflash voltage internally, and have minimal current requirements, which is why the Openport 1.3 works with the Evo 7/8/9 without a problem. "

I would say this applies to the ECU I have, so no need for VPP. Is there still a boot mode connection/wire that the Tactrix cable uses to put the ECU into a bootloader mode? Is there any pinout information of the Tactrix cable as I dont have an OBDII port on the ski I can plug it in to? I know which pin will be K-Line, battery volts and ground from the OBDII spec but unsure which is the boot mode wire (if there is one?).

And finally, if I was to try ECUflash on the ECU, is there any risk in erasing the CPU by trying to read it or is that just not possible?
VL400

Postby Sasha_A80 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:18 pm

You do not need Vpp. But applicable ecu pin may be useful to put the processor into bootmode.

Read carefully chapters 6.6 and 6.9 of the manual.
You are to trace the pins needed.

After that read Renesas application notes on serial interface for M32R flash programming.
Sasha_A80

Postby VL400 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:42 pm

Thanks, have been reading the Renesas PDF and the flash process but have not seen the user manual yet.

Have not got a read of the ECU yet, didnt want to break it before I fully understood the process. Being from a background of PCMs that have either removable EPROM memory or flash based memory that can be desoldered and read, a ECU with internal memory I wanted to make sure it does not get erased before a sucessful read! Am also looking at a cheaper solution, your system as good as it is is way out of my price range! If you have a read of a standard ECU and want to share please PM me :D
Last edited by VL400 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VL400

Postby Bruce Willis » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:30 am

MMCflash can read and write this ECU
Bruce Willis

Postby Leendert » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:39 pm

MMCflash? With what hardware cable and pinouts?
Leendert

Postby Bruce Willis » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:58 am

Hardware open port 2.0 + senselock key
Bruce Willis

Postby EvilevoIX » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:12 am

Hey Guys I know this thread is a little stale but I was hoping to shed some light on it. I actually have a 2009 FX SHO by Yamaha and wish to have access to the ECU. Is there a way to unlock it and even have access to some maps?

Thanks guys!
EvilevoIX

Postby EvilevoIX » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:28 pm

I just want to upload a Flash to my Yamaha FX SHO 2009. It is SO expensive to flash these things.
EvilevoIX

Postby VL400 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:23 am

Just wanting to upload a flash? Does that mean you have a bin file from one already? Would really like to get hold of a bin to find some tables and functions in it.
VL400

Postby Hexec » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:22 pm

Has anyone been successful reading this ECU?

Where do I get the tools to interface with the FX SHO? I'd like to buy or build the interface. Whatever is available. Thanks.
Hexec

Postby Bruce Willis » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:48 am

Post a photo of ecu
Bruce Willis

Postby Hexec » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Bruce Willis wrote:Post a photo of ecu

VL400 posted great photo's on a link in the very first post of this thread. Here it is again (thanks for the hard work VL400).

http://yamahaecu.wikispaces.com/ECU+Har ... nformation

The ECU in Yamaha FX SHO Waverunner is a Mitsubishi and runs on the M32R MPU. I would like to begin by first purchasing or building the hardware interface to read and write to this ECU. I understand that its done through the service port on the Waverunner.

I am a noob right now on these ECM's. However, my goal to to learn much much more about them.

Once I have a clean read of the PROM, I'll begin mapping out the tables. There must be some good tools already to disassemble the code or even simulators.

Anyway, lets start with determining the requirements to read this ECU through the service/diagnostics port.

TIA
Hexec

Next

Return to Reflashing Software