Looking for cross-compiling gnu toolchain for H8/500 series

Developer topics relating to software that reflashes or modifes ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Looking for cross-compiling gnu toolchain for H8/500 series

Postby cboles » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:16 pm

I'm starting to write a kernel for the H8/500 which is use in some older Mitsubishi ECUs. I assumed that I could use to crosstool to build a gnu toolchain for h8500, but it looks like h8/500 support was dropped a while back and you need to buy GnuPro to get current gnu tools which support it. It seems like I should be able to dig up old enough gnu source a build a version which supports h8500, but I don't really know what issues I'll run into trying to build a cross-compiler with an older version like that. Does anyone have move experience in this area who might be able to help?

Colby
cboles
Site Admin

Postby GTODesign » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:57 pm

Not something I have direct experience of I must admit. I am however dealing with a few companies that might. I'm trying to source one of the Renesas H8/539F in-circuit programming boards/software from them so I'll ask them about your question and see what they say.
GTODesign

Postby cboles » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:26 pm

Thanks. If I can find a compiler, I should be able to write a kernel which supports 96-99 DSM vehicles that have that CPU, such as the Eclipse. I have a free assembler already, but after writing one kernel in assembly, and 4 others in C, I'd definitely prefer to keep using C...
cboles
Site Admin

Postby NeverLies » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:48 am

GTODesign wrote:Not something I have direct experience of I must admit. I am however dealing with a few companies that might. I'm trying to source one of the Renesas H8/539F in-circuit programming boards/software from them so I'll ask them about your question and see what they say.

Do u know if this company supports others H8 ? Do they have any datasheet available ?
NeverLies

Postby evoman » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:35 pm

cboles wrote:Thanks. If I can find a compiler, I should be able to write a kernel which supports 96-99 DSM vehicles that have that CPU, such as the Eclipse. I have a free assembler already, but after writing one kernel in assembly, and 4 others in C, I'd definitely prefer to keep using C...

Hi cboles!

I can send C-compilers for H8 and SH series MCU. This is free tools taken from Hitachi's '96 Electronic Components Databook CD.
Both are pure DOS only versions.

Pass this for your requirements?
evoman

Postby GTODesign » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:14 am

Well I've been faced with nothing but dead ends from my searches. I've found software claiming to be H8 compilers only for them to support H8/300 only.

If you could upload your Hitachi software that would be great.
GTODesign

Postby cboles » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:22 am

Yes, please email me or post a copy of this. When you say DOS-only, I assume you mean that I can't run it in a command shell under XP? I have to look around, there must be a free DOS emulator I can use so that I don't have to boot DOS on a machine.

Colby
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Freon » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:31 am

XP has several DOS/Win98/Win2k emulation options. Just right click on the shortcut to the application. May or may not help...
Freon

Return to Reflashing Software