Can I overwrite EcuTek?

Developer topics relating to software that reflashes or modifes ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Postby Tea cups » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:18 am

imprezarsx wrote:wow... so basically, you pay 650 bucks to lease an ecu from ecutek. Because once they flash it, it's thiers.... sounds almost illegal.

I will NEVER go with ecuTek unless they change.

What they say doesn't make a lot of sense. So either it's BS or something unique to the Ecutek flashing process. The openecu community has never had a problem reflashing (straight failure not due to stupidity) and many people have reflashed to different revisions which can sometimes be almost completely different than the old revision. Ecutek's license, from what I've seen, consists of a small amount data in an unused portion of the rom near the end. Other than that, you have the additional programming for boost/wg map switching and user-tune, but I don't see how there can be a high failure rate in reflashing a completely stock image unless their flashing software is buggy.
Tea cups

Postby fasterthanurwrx » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:59 pm

You should go on Aktive Matrix website and see what they said about the ecu lock.

When I asked them if there going to make a unlock program for the subarus they said that they need to see two ecus... 1 locked, and 1 unlocked...and the ecus need to be similar...
fasterthanurwrx

Postby swifty » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:23 am

well my guess would be that they don't want to remove the license because you have paid for it and then you may be in a position to either ask for a refund or have it put on another ecu, either of which would cause them to lose out.
swifty

Postby imprezarsx » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:54 am

true, but I still think there is some legality to this. It's YOUR ecu! Not thiers. You should be able to do whatever you want to it. If they don't want to restore it to it's untouched config, they should give you a new ecu, and you ship the licensed ecu to them. Then the next guy who wants an ecuTek can be shipped your ecu. and they'll have another stock ecu on hand. They'll make out this way.
They don't have to give a refund. they did their part of the service, the customer just changed their mind.
imprezarsx

Postby swifty » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:53 am

Yes, it's your ecu and it's your license if you paid for it, although I don't know what the terms of the license are, do you have to accept anything when you get ecutek'd ?

Are they saying we will unlock it and leave the license on there if you go back to the stock map, but want to leave it locked if there is a custom map so that you can't see what the mapper has done ?
swifty

Postby Tea cups » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:28 am

swifty wrote:Are they saying we will unlock it and leave the license on there if you go back to the stock map, but want to leave it locked if there is a custom map so that you can't see what the mapper has done ?

According to Ecutek, this is the reason they put the lock in there in the first place - because tuners were complaining that people were able to view their tunes and were passing them around.
Tea cups

Postby Kosti » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:30 pm

They've been making to much money on us and this technology, now it's time for us to take control of our own ECU.
Kosti

Postby SubieGuy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:37 am

I was just wondering if this is the same case for Prodrive Pack. Is it possible to revert to stock ecu after you have the prodrive power pack installed?
Would we risk the same ECU failure Ecutek is afraid of? I have bought my car with PPP installed, but now that the warranty period is over I would like to reflash to reflect my add-ons.
SubieGuy

Postby deceit » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:57 pm

Thats odd, I wasn't aware of any of this and I just got my ecutek tune a week ago...

Now I cannot read my ecu with ecuflash.

At no time did i hear the word 'license' mentioned or the fact that i wouldnt be able to do tuning on my own ecu unless i spend a shit load on their dongle/software.

not happy...
deceit

Postby Freon » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:16 am

Sell your ECU for a swap of a stock one, get Openecu, get your tuner to use it to start with. Problem solved!
Freon

Postby Kosti » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:02 am

Freon wrote:Sell your ECU for a swap of a stock one, get Openecu, get your tuner to use it to start with. Problem solved!

I know this is an old thread, but I'm hung over from all the drinking for the start of 2007 :D Happy NEW YEAR peoples!!

Now what's the point of replacing the ECU - I thought we were trying to reverse engineer the ECU in our various cars, and be able to do what ever we wanted regardless of who locked it.

No offence Freon :lol:

Kosti
Kosti

Postby gethin » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:07 pm

The point of openecu is to allow changing the stock ROM, not to unlock a "copyrighted" ECU. With the tools available on openecu you dont need to get it locked out in the first place, but if you happen to get your foot shot off by ECUTEK the cheapest way to get it ampuated is getting a spare stock ECU for a hundred bucks and swapping it out.
gethin

Postby Kosti » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:04 pm

Agreed, but after having your foot shot off, you get a knew one, only to find out the shoe doesn't fit.

As far as I'm aware you can't get your keys programmed with opensource apps, so a new ECU would be useless unless you take it to either Subaru or ECUT3k shop.
Kosti

Postby Freon » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:52 am

The point of selling it is to get back some of the money you paid for the Ecutek in the first place. Someone may give you more money for a flashed ECU so they get the license than they would for a stock ECU.

Since Ecutek is now locking the ECU this makes the most sense.
Freon

Postby zigzagzok » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:42 pm

Freon wrote:The point of selling it is to get back some of the money you paid for the Ecutek in the first place. Someone may give you more money for a flashed ECU so they get the license than they would for a stock ECU.

Since Ecutek is now locking the ECU this makes the most sense.

what wld happen if there are software upgrades? from subaru? and subaru cant flash into the ecutek'd ecu just because it is locked - whose fault is that then? i know the BOSCH ECUs found in cars like Volvos get regular updates
zigzagzok

PreviousNext

Return to Reflashing Software