Openport serial protocol description?

Developer topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Openport serial protocol description?

Postby poly_poly-man » Sat May 22, 2010 10:56 am

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong place - it's so close to both the software and the hardware, I wasn't sure.

I'm a computer software/hardware developer at heart, and an auto enthusiast second. Naturally I'm very interested in the openecu project. I just got my openport 2.0 for my birthday (still don't have the car I bought it for, but I figure being able to datalog a potential car will give better information than anything I can ask the seller. [/dumbintroduction]

Anyway, I'm looking to start developing some software with the openport for linux, where the development seems to be lacking. If someone can point me to a complete description of the serial protocol used to talk with the device, that would be wonderful, as I can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance.
poly_poly-man

Re: Openport serial protocol description?

Postby hahahaha » Sat May 22, 2010 11:31 pm

google for ssm - subaru select monitor

download ecuexplorer.exe by calvin cestari

calvin and colby have got descriptions of the ssm protocol available
hahahaha

Postby poly_poly-man » Sun May 23, 2010 5:43 am

Okay, I think I get it now - you talk serial to the device, which gets translated instantly to ISO9141 packets?

Is there any way to talk, for instance, CAN to the car (not that I want to - just an example)?

Also, is there a method for out-of-band communications? I know the firmware gets updated somehow, for example; are there other things you can get the device to do not relating to the car?
poly_poly-man

Postby TiCPU » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:15 pm

No way.

The way the interface works, it appears as a CDC Modem which takes AT commands including commands to send bytes to the bus.

If only we would have a command list and some documentation, we wouldn't have to reverse engineer the whole thing to make it work on Linux!

Don't you have enough to reverse engineer ECUs ?

Edit: That is for OpenPort 2.0.
Edit2: A list of AT commands could be placed in a Wiki, either Tactrix owns or a new one for Linux development.
TiCPU

Return to Interface Hardware