OBDii to RS232 chip - ELM323

Developer topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

OBDii to RS232 chip - ELM323

Postby DaveImpreza » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:15 am

Hello !

I'm new here.
I ever wanted to build a monitor display for my car and luckily i found this website !! nice !!

Maybe you know this chip : ELM323, made by www.elmelectronics.com

This appear to be a chip which connect directly to the diagnostic link connector and offer an rs232 interface on the other site, for communication with pc.

The datasheet say :

"The ELM323 is a 14 pin integradet circuit that, with only a few external components, is able to convert between the OBD data format and the standard RS232 serial data format. This allows virtually any personal computer or PDA to communicate with a vehicle using only a standard serial port and a terminal program. If desired, hobbysts can even create their own custom scan tool by adding an interface program."

I don't know now if this is maybe what you searching for, but as i want only a monitoring tool for temperatures, speed, rpm, or else, i think this chip is what i need for my purposes.

I got the service manual for my car, where you can find the significate of vary PID codes an modes, this is a good start.

Now i will order a pair of this chips, build the simple circuit which comes with the datasheet and then i post my results for who is interested.

Sorry for my poor english, i speak italian :)

David
DaveImpreza

Postby cdvma » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:00 pm

That would be great for OBD, but I think we are trying to stay away from that and use the SSM protocol - its faster and will allow us more access.
cdvma

Postby DaveImpreza » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:31 pm

What is SSM protocol ? Where i can find infos about them ?

Thanks
David
DaveImpreza

Postby Nemis » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:45 pm

DaveImpreza wrote:What is SSM protocol ? Where i can find infos about them ?

Thanks
David

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=5 pag 2

and some code :
http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=8
Nemis

Return to Interface Hardware