Ecuedit freezes when using serial to usb adapter

Developer topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Ecuedit freezes when using serial to usb adapter

Postby LuSTi » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Well I recently got ecuedit so I could start logging my 05 STi and learning what it likes and whatnot. The 1st night I tried it on my friends laptop I used the cable from my Cobb Accessport straight into the serial port on my friends laptop and it worked like a charm. I loved the program and couldnt wait to learn it better and start taking some good logs. The next night though I tried it on my laptop, which doesnt have a serial port on it, using a Belkin serial to usb adpter that I used before when logging with Ecuexplorer. I had no problems using this cable in conjunction with Ecuexplorer. When trying it with Ecuedit I ran into some problems. It connects to the ecu just fine, but when I try to log it reads the data for a split second then just freezes up. I tried some mroe tonight with a friend of mine who is more familiar with the software and we got it to log for up to 30 seconds before it froze. Also when I close the program it has an error saying "FTDI not found" I downloaded and installed the FTDI drivers, but no change. Any ideas are welcome, and Im sure its something dumb that I just didnt know or think to do. Thanks.
LuSTi

Postby Freon » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:32 pm

The FTDI driver is for the Openport cable. It is the chip inside the cable that does the serial data coversion to USB, among other things. You have a device driver for your USB to serial cable that handles that that either you installed off a CD or Windows found itself when you first connected your adapter cable. The Cobb serial cable itself requires no device driver.

Not sure of the error or your problems, though.
Freon

Postby LuSTi » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:09 am

Yea the drivers I had to install are for the Belkin serial to usb adapter Im using with the Cobb cable. Again it works just fine in Ecuexplorer, just not in Ecuedit.
LuSTi

Return to Interface Hardware