Openport Stand-Alone Logging Beta

Re: Openport Stand-Alone Logging Beta

Postby MechEE » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:18 pm

mfb wrote:
MechEE wrote:For me the sample config file was wrong. I used

Confirmed for me as well: 0x0101 is the correct paramid for logging lambda on the LC-1. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I was getting such a strange calculated AFR (~72:1) after flashing to the latest OpenPort firmware. It turns out it was a combination of an error in the sample LC-1 logcfg.txt suggesting the paramid should be 0x0102 and the infamous LC-1 reset bug that had a stoich of ~4.7:1 set. Oops!

Yep, I got this one too. Only problem is we all followed the address in the sample file. No biggie... :-) Its one or the other, haha There's only 2 channels to choose from. If you look at LM programmer, you'll see it there.

Just be careful to make sure that you only pull the lc1 plug or attach it to OP2 if LC1 is off meaning ignition is off. Not doing so and operating this while on may cause LC1 to be sent a "recalibration" command and you will just get a 7 or 22 afr reading. This happened to me thrice already and in Colby's post here, it confirms and solved my issue. You can see it here http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=4319&start=420#p23313

I think I covered this somewhere before - it is basically a minor hw/sw design flaw in the LC-1 that can cause it to lose its settings when you you plug it into another device. What happens is that the tip terminal of the 2.5 plugs can get grounded as you plug them in, which is not a big deal in itself since it is an input, but some unfortunate protocol choices can make that glitch look like some sort of "clear calibrations" command. This isn't speculation - I heard this from the engineers at Innovate. So the solutions are to:

1) Plug the LC-1 in to the OP2 only when the LC-1 is off
2) Let the OP2 take care of the AFR scaling so that you don't notice the problem

Best to make OP2 do the scaling as per the sample file. Btw, once you got it calibrated and working, dont be surprised to see a custom settting when you go back to LM Programmer. I just chose gasoline again. I dont know why it went to custom, maybe it because Im using ethanol 10 based gas? But non issue as we scale using OP2.

My understanding is that the accidental "clear calibrations" command only affects things if you rely on the LC-1 to do the fuel-specific gain from lambda to AFR. Since we're doing it now within the OpenPort software, this shouldn't be an issue any longer, correct? "Clear calibrations" seems like a strange name though... that suggests it will clear the sensor calibration, possibly initiating a new sensor calibration when the sensor isn't in open air.
MechEE

Postby hta68 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:16 am

I am not about to read through 32 pages for my answer, so sorry if this has been asked. I have a 2007 USDM wrx and I need to know which .txt file i need to save to the Micro SD card. Through deductive reasoning I assumed the subaru k-line adc lc1 (because i have a lc-1 wideband), and i believe CAN is only 2008 and newer, however this did not work so please direct me to the right file.

Thanks,
hta68

Postby mfb » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:47 am

MechEE wrote:My understanding is that the accidental "clear calibrations" command only affects things if you rely on the LC-1 to do the fuel-specific gain from lambda to AFR. Since we're doing it now within the OpenPort software, this shouldn't be an issue any longer, correct? "Clear calibrations" seems like a strange name though... that suggests it will clear the sensor calibration, possibly initiating a new sensor calibration when the sensor isn't in open air.

The lc1 gets a false command from inserting or removing the male plug while Lc1 is on. So its best to only insert or remove where there is no power to lc1 (igintion off). Im assuming that a ground occurs when plugs are inserted/reinserted with power on that sends the recalibration command similar to LM programmer command.

I havent had any recalibration issue ever since following what Colby has suggested.
mfb

Postby hta68 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:31 am

after installing the new ecuflash I looked at my ROM in ECU flash and my tinyrex patch is gone, I also opened my original tinyrex patched rom and again it is not there. did this happen to anyone else?
hta68

Postby cboles » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:08 am

are you referring to a definition you had in one the ecuflash\rommetadata directories? if so, it has been copied into one of the backup folders. if you are working with modified definitions much, it is better to have your own rommetadata directories outside of the installation ones, and point EcuFlash there.

hta68 wrote:after installing the new ecuflash I looked at my ROM in ECU flash and my tinyrex patch is gone, I also opened my original tinyrex patched rom and again it is not there. did this happen to anyone else?
cboles
Site Admin

Postby hta68 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:56 am

cboles wrote:are you referring to a definition you had in one the ecuflash\rommetadata directories? if so, it has been copied into one of the backup folders. if you are working with modified definitions much, it is better to have your own rommetadata directories outside of the installation ones, and point EcuFlash there.

hta68 wrote:after installing the new ecuflash I looked at my ROM in ECU flash and my tinyrex patch is gone, I also opened my original tinyrex patched rom and again it is not there. did this happen to anyone else?

Thankyou, it was in the backup folder and i have fixed it. and i have pointed ecu flash to a new directory for my patched roms, thanks again.
hta68

Postby LM_logger » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:02 pm

LM_logger wrote:Hi Colby,

Could you PM me your email address. Not sure if you're using the standard admin<at> one. Have an offer of a loan of LM-1 for you and want to pass on personal details as person has a few queries.

Cheers

Maybe you missed it :lol: it would be a shame to miss the offer of a loan of one. I've done all I can Colby :wink:
LM_logger

Postby MechEE » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:43 pm

mfb wrote:
MechEE wrote:My understanding is that the accidental "clear calibrations" command only affects things if you rely on the LC-1 to do the fuel-specific gain from lambda to AFR. Since we're doing it now within the OpenPort software, this shouldn't be an issue any longer, correct? "Clear calibrations" seems like a strange name though... that suggests it will clear the sensor calibration, possibly initiating a new sensor calibration when the sensor isn't in open air.

The lc1 gets a false command from inserting or removing the male plug while Lc1 is on. So its best to only insert or remove where there is no power to lc1 (igintion off). Im assuming that a ground occurs when plugs are inserted/reinserted with power on that sends the recalibration command similar to LM programmer command.

I havent had any recalibration issue ever since following what Colby has suggested.

Understood... but if one lets the logger do the x14.7 scaling, then you can hot-plug all day long (causing loss of the lambda-to-AFR conversion data in the LC-1) with no downside (as far as I understand).
MechEE

Postby Tephra » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:41 pm

no.

when inserting the lc1 serial OUT connector into the OP20 or the serial cable adapter the pins get shorted.

this shorting creates an unstable stream of data to be sent to the LC1.

noone can predict what this data will say, so sometimes it might have no affect, sometimes it might ask for a AFR recalibration, other times it might just clear the gas type...

thus - at NO time should you disconnect OR connect the LC1 serial OUT connector when the LC1 is powered.

I would even go as far to say wait 30 seconds for all currents to drain before connecting or disconnecting it....

the LC1 is very very power sensitive, so its best not to tempt fate...

remember you are modifying basically the biggest thing (AFR) that causes engine failure based on data you are getting from the LC1 - so its best not to fuck with it :)
Tephra

Postby LM_logger » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:55 pm

Tephra wrote:remember you are modifying basically the biggest thing (AFR) that causes engine failure based on data you are getting from the LC1 - so its best not to fuck with it :)

simple, eloquent and to the point :lol:
LM_logger

Postby MechEE » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:22 pm

Tephra wrote:no.

when inserting the lc1 serial OUT connector into the OP20 or the serial cable adapter the pins get shorted.

this shorting creates an unstable stream of data to be sent to the LC1.

noone can predict what this data will say, so sometimes it might have no affect, sometimes it might ask for a AFR recalibration, other times it might just clear the gas type...

thus - at NO time should you disconnect OR connect the LC1 serial OUT connector when the LC1 is powered.

I would even go as far to say wait 30 seconds for all currents to drain before connecting or disconnecting it....

the LC1 is very very power sensitive, so its best not to tempt fate...

remember you are modifying basically the biggest thing (AFR) that causes engine failure based on data you are getting from the LC1 - so its best not to fuck with it :)

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like some poor protocol decisions from the Innovate team. :)
MechEE

Postby Tephra » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:29 pm

just a poor connector design... they should have gone with a mini-din plug instead of mini-jack

offtopic - I have installed a simple 555timer controller delay ON circuit for the LC1 so it doesn't turn on until after cranking... otherwise the cranking upsets it...
Tephra

Postby mfb » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:44 pm

Tephra wrote:just a poor connector design... they should have gone with a mini-din plug instead of mini-jack

offtopic - I have installed a simple 555timer controller delay ON circuit for the LC1 so it doesn't turn on until after cranking... otherwise the cranking upsets it...

What do you mean by "Upsets it"? Is there an error that you saw before? LC1 led blinks while 02 sensor bung heats up upon start up. At this time, LC1 isnt measuring afr yet so this is already a delay.
mfb

Postby Tephra » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:54 pm

two things I have observed.

first occasionally the LC1 settings will be wiped... This is without the serial jack/plug connected at all - so its not being wiped due to that known problem

second the LC1 will give out Err4 (voltage to low from memory) maybe 10% of the time...

with the delay circuit I am guaranteed (unless I take a long time to crank after switching the key to IGN) to avoid a low voltage condition...

It' a simple circuit - only $20 of parts from the local electronics store.. can post the circuit diagram if you like...
Tephra

Postby mfb » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:06 am

Tephra wrote:two things I have observed.

first occasionally the LC1 settings will be wiped... This is without the serial jack/plug connected at all - so its not being wiped due to that known problem

second the LC1 will give out Err4 (voltage to low from memory) maybe 10% of the time...

with the delay circuit I am guaranteed (unless I take a long time to crank after switching the key to IGN) to avoid a low voltage condition...

It' a simple circuit - only $20 of parts from the local electronics store.. can post the circuit diagram if you like...

So far, Im fortunate not to have the issues you have mentioned. Took extra care about where I tapped power and where the ground went, not sure if we did anything different. Appreciate if you can post the diagram, thanks! I havent had my lc1 settings problematic other than those I caused (insert/reinsert jack while lc1 is on) Its been weeks since I last calibrated, so far so good!
mfb

PreviousNext

Return to Openport Stand-Alone Logging Beta