Australian Delivered Evo IX Map - 88580013

Australian Delivered Evo IX Map - 88580013

Postby bpi » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:09 pm

Hi,

I have just read the ECU for my Australian delivered EVO IX. The ID read from the ECU was 88580013. The file size is 512kb. I understand its actually 8858, version 13.

I have attached the ROM that was read from my car to this post.

The problem I am having is that I cannot see any meaningful data through any of the maps that are currently available for ECUFlash. Obviously the addresses are different between USDM, JDM and AUSDM.

I can see some data using the definition for 88840016 but it's not much. Certainly nothing like the number of maps available with a USDM Evo using the 88590015 definition. I can even view a UK FQ340 map using the 88570008 definition!! BTW the FQ340 definition has extra maps for Octane Initialisation, Lean Spool Disable RPM, Lean Spool Enable RPM and some extra ones that the US def doesn't have. Anyone got any ideas/comments on this?

So, can anyone help me out with a definition for the Australian delivered Evo IX? If so it would be fantastic.

Also, if (in the case of the 88840016 definition) only partial maps are available, could someone provide me with some guidance as to how to decode the rest of the maps? I'm a programmer by trade and a pretty cluey guy, but I'm at the foot of the cliff at the moment - if someone can give me a leg up that would be awesome.

So basically if someone wants to tell me HOW they would go about writing the full definition (without doing the work themselves) then I would love to do the work. Otherwise if someone already has a def I'd love to see it.

Any help I can receive would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Brendan
Attachments
AUS-EVO9-88580013.hex
(512 KiB) Downloaded 903 times
Last edited by bpi on Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpi

Postby S54fan » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:54 am

The US Evo IX looks a good match for some/many of the maps, with some others just needing a bit of lining up by changing the address.

The RPM and load scales are often off so you'll need to update those.

I used ECUedit's hex editor to look for patterns for known areas in the US ROM and then searched for similar in my JDM ROM that at the time wasn't decoded.

There is a header to most of the 3d maps that is 03 00 ff ff ww xx ff ff ww zz LL where wwxx and wwzz are ram addresses where there is info about the maps and LL is the length in bytes of each load column as displayed in Evoscan.

You can find the row and column headers by disassembling the rom in IDA Pro, finding where the routines are linked to in the code, and you'll find lookup routines that lookup the load and RPM.

Once you've done this, please help with the disassembly effort as linked on www.aktivematrix.com and in the ECUflash section of forums.evolutionm.net

Long term aim is custom comms including the real load value, live mapping, speed density etc.
S54fan

AUSDM 88580013 Map Definition Completed

Postby bpi » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:07 pm

I've been able to complete a map definition for my Australian Evo IX with ECU ID 88580013.

I did this by referencing US, UK, JAP roms and cross referencing the addresses in their map definitions.

I'd like to get my hands on IDA Pro to be able to conclusively verify the addresses of all the data and the axis but I haven't got the program at the moment.

There were also two tables (lean spool) in the UK map that referenced what seems like valid address data in the AUS map. Can anyone shed some light on these two tables?

Let me know what you think of the definition.

Is it possible for someone to please run the above hex file through IDA Pro and send me the disassembly? I'd like to look through the disassembled code myself to see if I can verify the table addresses.

I can't wait for the source code for EcuFlash to be made available. I'd love to be able to contribute to this awesome project.

3D maps are obviously some nice eye candy that would be useful. I did some map definition translation to view the High Octane Fuel Map in EcuEdit and it's a great tool to be able to see the 3D representation of the data.

Thanks,
Brendan
Attachments
88580013.xml
(14.41 KiB) Downloaded 938 times
bpi

Postby nvr2fast » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:00 pm

Wouldn't the EDM (european market) definitions be more appropriate for your ADM car than the USDM definitions? Just a guess...
nvr2fast

Postby bpi » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:38 pm

Yep the European definition was closest, but I also used definitions from US and EUR and primarily compared ECU (hex) data from US, EUR, JAP.

BTW, the EcuEdit HEX editor is great for comparison of ECU data.

My main concern now is that I don't know if I have defined all of the available maps. I've only defined maps that were in existing xml definition files. I really want to be able to conclusively say that I have all the maps for the Evo. I guess the only way to do this is to disassemble the ECU?

For example, the lean spool maps came from a UK definition, but without that, I wouldn't have known they existed at all.

BTW, how are people coming up with the names of each map? Surely the ECU doesn't store a human readable name?
bpi

ROM Disassembly Download

Postby bpi » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

As mentioned above, I am in the process of disassembling the ROM for my Australian delivered Evo IX (ID: 88580013).

I thought that I would share with everyone what I have done so far. You can view my progress and download the ROM file and the disassembly at:

http://www.atomware.com.au/evo/ECU/8858 ... fault.aspx

I will endeavour to keep this page updated with my status and the latest disassembly file.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Brendan
Last edited by bpi on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpi

Postby nvr2fast » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:38 pm

Wow you should try and mate it to the new Evo IX FQ-360.

Apparently, they've tweaked the ECU (along with JUST a Walbro 255 fuel pump and high flow cat) to have 260HP and much increased torque!

So basically, 90% of the power increase comes from the ECU tuning!

Amazing stuff!
nvr2fast

Postby bpi » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:47 pm

If anyone has a ROM from an Evo IX FQ-320 or 340 or 360 I would love to see it.

Obviously I would like to modify the maps in my Evo IX to something a bit closer to the FQ-XXX but also, I'm tired of looking at stock maps and just want to look at something that's been modified!!

So, if anyone has an FQ-XXX ROM, you can PM me anytime, or post it right here! :) BTW, I mean a REAL FQ-XXX ROM, not your own personal ROM that you've modified (I've also got plenty of those!).

FYI, MRT in Sydney, Australia, claim a 20kw (at the hubs) improvement with just ECU tuning, and a 40kw (at the hubs) improvement with fuel pump, exhaust, and ECU tuning. But thats using the evil ECUT*K software which I refuse to pay for.

So yes, the EVO has some good scope for power improvements with simple tuning. But you still need to know a bit about EFI principles and have good diagnostic equipment (wideband AFR, EGT, inertia dyno) before you start twiddling!

Thanks,
Brendan
bpi

Postby nvr2fast » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:32 pm

Aside from the FQ-360 tune (which right now, is the best "stock" tune with basic bolt-on Walbro255 fuel pump, high flow cat/decat exhaust), you could always pay for one you know... hehe

Actually I will be getting one from JESTR myself. Friendly fellow... and one of the ONLY guys who will provide an E-flash for a non-USDM car! :D
nvr2fast

Postby bpi » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:06 pm

Let me put it nicely... I do NOT pay for labour... ;)

I previously owned a 200SX and did every single thing on the car except the fitting of the clutch. The list was:

- Made tuned length manifold (hi mount turbo)
- Made 3" turbo back exhaust including dump pipe
- Fitted HKS intercooler
- Fitted Earls oil cooler and remote oil filter mount
- Fitted Sparco Evo race seats and harnesses
- Fitted 3 x autometer gauges into custom made console below head unit
- Fitted low pressure in tank pump, surge tank, high pressure feed pump
- Fitted bonnet pins
- Fitted wheels, tyres, suspension

I work on my own cars - I am happy to buy parts from a workshop but don't believe in paying a workshop to do something I could do better.

Before EcuFlash I would have been happy to take my car to a workshop to have the ECU tuned. But now we have the tools to tune the car ourselves! And damned if I'm taking my car into a workshop so they can rip me off and do a job I could do better.

Yes it sounds arrogant, and yes workshops have "experience" but most workshops couldn't give a f*ck about you or your car at the end of the day. They do their job, get paid, and move on to the next car. The only way you'll get respect from a workshop is if you put 6 figures into your car and pay it all to them and give them heaps of publicity.

Anyways, that's my rant about workshops... back on topic now!!

I've been working through some more datatables today and have commented the disassembly more thoroughly. Keep checking the URL above for the latest disassembly.

I'm really keen to get the opinion of people who may have disassembled other ROMS and can provide some advice on what I'm doing right or wrong.

Thanks,
Brendan
bpi

Postby S54fan » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:42 am

I have an FQ320 ROM. The FQ320 is a richer fuel map during spool but otherwise the same as JDM. The previous owner of my FQ340 had it tuned before I had the car.

I have been working on disassembly as well, and Bez Bashni has found hundreds of variables. See threads on www.aktivematrix.com
S54fan

EVO 9 ECU Australian deliverd

Postby smsevo » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:08 pm

Hi Brendan

I also have a evo 9 australian delivered and i and playing with the ecu but and have trouble with some of the definitions lining up right to be able to veiw the maps. I would really appreciate it if you had a .hex that was working with the australian car? Thanks look forward to hearing from you. Cheers Scott
smsevo

Return to Mitsubishi (all models)