hi / lo fuel and timing map question

hi / lo fuel and timing map question

Postby Mr. Evo IX » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:39 pm

I was reviewing my tune and noticed that the low octane maps are identical to the high octane maps (this map was tuned by a professional tuner), The car runs strong. From what I understand this would limit my vehicle to protect itself when it detects knock. I'm guessing that the reason for this is that it is tuned to run on a certain octane with some degree of safety but I still dont understand why the low octane maps would be modified at all. Can someone pipe in here?
Last edited by Mr. Evo IX on Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Evo IX

Postby Mr. Evo IX » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:38 pm

Ok, found the answer myself. Having the lo / hi maps the same does not prevent the ECU from pulling timing as necessary. Not to mention the amount of knock that would cause a car to run on the lo octane map. What are your views of this tuning style. If I wanted an additional layer of safety should increase the fuel trims a little and pull some timing on my low octane maps?
Mr. Evo IX

Postby evo400 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:32 pm

May be sone tuner is not sure what is the right map for normal mode and high octane, so he modified all maps and hopes for some good end. :lol:
evo400

Postby SilverBack » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:22 am

Mr. Evo IX wrote:Ok, found the answer myself. Having the lo / hi maps the same does not prevent the ECU from pulling timing as necessary. Not to mention the amount of knock that would cause a car to run on the lo octane map. What are your views of this tuning style. If I wanted an additional layer of safety should increase the fuel trims a little and pull some timing on my low octane maps?

From what I understand, timing will still be pulled as it is based on the knocksum but if both maps are the same then the octane number becomes 'pointless'. You would have no long term timing trim for lower octane fuels or bad knock. But I'm no expert...
SilverBack

Postby Mr. Evo IX » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:14 pm

I found out that this particular tuner does this to all of his maps and the car runs amazing so I'm not too worried about it. I am however going to datalog the car (at least to look at knock counts, I have a WB but its not hooked up yet). I've been driving the car on the stock map for a few months and when I put this tune back on my car.. WOW what a difference.. amazing. Mostly I was just concerned about the maps being the same and that I got my car tuned in February and it was 40 degrees outside and now its 105 degrees outside..
Mr. Evo IX

Return to Mitsubishi (all models)