Trying to read an EcuTek flash

Trying to read an EcuTek flash

Postby AutoXer » Thu May 25, 2006 11:03 am

What technically stops the ECUFlash from reading the EcuTek flash? Does the EcuTek flash change the init string? The kernel doesn't have to be loaded to do a read does it?

BTW, I'm just trying to read the immobilizer code. I'm not trying to do anything against EcuTek.
AutoXer

Postby Stew » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:19 am

From what I understand, ECUTek changes the lookup table for the key/seed algorithm so only ECUTek will be able to re-flash the ECU in that vehicle. The dealer can't even touch it any more. There was a big thread on NASIOC about this..
Stew

Postby AutoXer » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:26 am

Stew wrote:From what I understand, ECUTek changes the lookup table for the key/seed algorithm so only ECUTek will be able to re-flash the ECU in that vehicle. The dealer can't even touch it any more. There was a big thread on NASIOC about this..

I'm aware of the NASIOC thread. I read most of it. I'm still unable to read or flash the current EcuTek flashed ECU in my car. I'm also unable to get my spare ECU to work in my car because I can't read the immobilizer code in my EcuTek flashed ECU. Its just frustrating for me. I feel locked out of my own car. :evil:
AutoXer

Postby Stew » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:31 am

That's ECUTek for ya. As far as I know, there is no work-around yet except to wait for that "unlocking" software they were claiming they are about to release to their dealers..

ECUTek = :roll:
Stew

Postby gregsachs » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:05 am

Thinking ahead, once the source is released, I'd imagine a frustrated owner could try and do a small app that did a brute-force attempt at this, but it would be easiest done via a bench setup. I firmly don't believe ecutek is smart enough to have done anything really robust. Ethically/legally, this behavior would be just as, if not more questionable as ecutek's locking. For sure, I think they would pursue anyone sharing their maps(and i've got no issue with that), but what about revealing how to reflash a locked ecu? it is possible, based on what they have said, that they have broken the read feature completely. Thoughts?
gregsachs

Postby mlr » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:02 am

I dont think ecutec flash is worth of reading with serious efforts.
I dont think they 've done somthigk special we cannot achieve making own flash via existing abilities of ecuedit
mlr

Postby Tea cups » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:09 am

Some guy named MailbuJack on the evolutionm.net says he's found a way to overcome the Ecutek lockout, at least on Evos. He's not sharing yet until he verifies it on more than one ecu.
Tea cups

Postby krafty » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:34 am

Tea cups wrote:Some guy named MailbuJack on the evolutionm.net says he's found a way to overcome the Ecutek lockout, at least on Evos. He's not sharing yet until he verifies it on more than one ecu.

He has already released it. It's available on his forum http://www.aktivematrix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=33 You have to register to download it.
krafty

Postby Tea cups » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:16 am

He's mentioned that it will only overcome the factory encryption that some Mitsu's have.
Tea cups

Postby AutoXer » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:21 am

Tea cups wrote:He's mentioned that it will only overcome the factory encryption that some Mitsu's have.

Can you site where you saw him mention this? I don't think anything gets encrypted with the "locked" ECUs. They just use a different init string and some add license info to the ROM.
AutoXer

Postby Tea cups » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:56 am

AutoXer wrote:
Tea cups wrote:He's mentioned that it will only overcome the factory encryption that some Mitsu's have.

Can you site where you saw him mention this? I don't think anything gets encrypted with the "locked" ECUs. They just use a different init string and some add license info to the ROM.

This is what he said in response to someone mentioning Ecutek:
"There are quite a few locked ECU types out there, ralliart, some non-evo mitsubishis.. Basically anything that may typically fail in ECUFlash you can try with this, and it should work. This is mitsubishi specific though. So it won't work on other locked ECU's"

It's not clear, though, if he means it only fixed factory locked ecus or ecutek locked ecus.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread ... ge=1&pp=15
Tea cups

Postby AutoXer » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:33 am

Tea cups wrote:This is what he said in response to someone mentioning Ecutek:
"There are quite a few locked ECU types out there, ralliart, some non-evo mitsubishis.. Basically anything that may typically fail in ECUFlash you can try with this, and it should work. This is mitsubishi specific though. So it won't work on other locked ECU's"

It's not clear, though, if he means it only fixed factory locked ecus or ecutek locked ecus.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread ... ge=1&pp=15

I think he meant Mitsubishi ECU specific, not the stock Mitsubishi flash. In other words, it won't work on Subarus. Just for reference, I was able to retreive my EcuTek flash from my ECU.
AutoXer

Postby Tea cups » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:45 am

Ah, I see. I wonder if it could be implemented for Subarus as well.
Tea cups

Return to Mitsubishi (all models)