Changing maps that have many similar copies

Changing maps that have many similar copies

Postby S54fan » Wed May 24, 2006 11:11 am

Particularly since we have so many ignition maps on the IX, would you alter all the high octane maps together - say you want a degree less at 4000 RPM on full boost, you'd just click down every high octane map down by a degree from its starting position across a few load zones that you are likely to be dealing with? Do we have any insights into which maps are used or whether it dips between them yet?

Stock knock control seems OK. I have an ECU that has already been Ecutek remapped, and I have a knocklink, intermittent det can use and keen ears. I have heard little impressive until today when it was warmer when I heard a single tick of det in the cabin at 4000 RPM coming onto the throttle. Knocklink hit the red. It could not be repeated which suggests the ECU learned around it, although I'm surprised it went from nothing to quite loud knock - that is what my old EJ257 used to do LOL. The spool area is quite lean on my ECU, leaner than I like, so I'll soon be correcting this when I can write an image back to the ECU.

Not too worried about boost initially since I'm using an AVC-R, but there are boost maps that seem different in shape to the others and have quite high boost targets. There are some WG duty maps that are 100% and others that have a more expected shape.
S54fan

Postby AndyF_Evo » Thu May 25, 2006 6:47 am

John,
Is it not the case that the multiple maps are used as an ignition advance option for when the car isn't knocking i.e. it continually advances the timing until it finds a map that it's comfortable with?

If that's the case then I would have thought that just dropping the timing on the most advanced map would cure the problem with the knock.

Andy
AndyF_Evo

Postby S54fan » Thu May 25, 2006 7:01 am

I don't know. The Subaru used to have two copies of one of the ignition maps, and both were kept identical, but this sort of situation is always a bit confusing. It would be nice to work out the logic based on a sort of "ignition advance multiplier" or equivalent to work out the conditions of access to each map, but that is beyond my skill level :)
S54fan

Postby AndyF_Evo » Thu May 25, 2006 7:14 am

Beyond mine too :lol: but I'm having a crash course in assembly language at the moment and trying to diassemble/decipher a 'simple' Evo 6 ECU rather than the complex 7,8 and 9's.

Andy
AndyF_Evo

Postby burgers » Wed May 31, 2006 2:20 pm

Hi

What dissasemblers are you all using for this? I have a couple of hex editors that I've tried. I've had a little luck with my Evo7 JDM, but it's very hit & miss.

MB

Nice to see another MLR regular here.
burgers

Postby GTODesign » Wed May 31, 2006 2:39 pm

It depends what you're trying to acheive, hex editing and disassembly are 2 very different ball games.

For disassembly you want IDA Pro, with this you can break down the hex into assembly language and therefore decipher the programming itself. It's a VERY steep learning curve as I'm sure Andy will tell you :wink:

Hex editors are really good for finding 3D maps and 2D scales.
GTODesign

Postby AndyF_Evo » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:36 am

Very steep learning curve is a bit of an understatement Dylan. My head has exploded on numerous occasions and I'm still not particularly far forward with it :D:D

Andy
AndyF_Evo

Postby burgers » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:23 am

Hi

Trying to run before I walk s usual. I'll stick with the hex editor for now.

I'm still not getting very far ith my evo7 jdm map, after my intail sucsses finding the RPM & load to match the AFR map GTODesign gave me I've totaly stalled.

MB
burgers

Postby Second Chance » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:57 pm

Can one of you tell me whats the Processor type used for dissasembly? on the Rom's?
Second Chance

Postby AndyF_Evo » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:54 pm

Hitachi H8/500

Andy
AndyF_Evo

Postby GTODesign » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:25 am

AndyF_Evo wrote:Hitachi H8/500

Andy

Bear in mind H8/500 is only E5/6
GTODesign

Postby GTODesign » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:27 am

E8 processor documentation here...