canlogger to log evo x

canlogger to log evo x

Postby SilverJester » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:05 pm

Hopefully this is the right forum for this, if not please feel free to move it.

I found the canlogger code and compiled it so that I can sniff the evo x CAN bus. I have a project in mind but step one is to learn and decode some of the CAN messages. I'm really new to the reverse engineering thing and so far I have yet to get the results I expected using the canlogger program. Maybe I should begin with my expectation (because if those are then that explains my problem)...I expect that connecting the OP2.0 cable to the OBD2 and running the program I should start to see hundreds of packet data. However I have not seen anything except in one instance (which I can replicate) by using ecuflash to read the ECU rom and upon completion, I immediately run the can logger...this results in 4 received messages (always the same).

I am beginning to think that maybe my expectations are incorrect and that what is happening is that the OBD2 port (being on it's own bus separate from the other 2 CAN buses on the car), does not see the other bus' messages because the ETAC (which is the CAN bus gateway) is not allowing anything to pass through. Maybe the only messages that are allowed through to the OBD2 are Rx messages that first require a Tx message to be sent from the OBD2? And the only reason I am able to log the little data I did, is because ecuflash sent a Tx message while reading the rom and after completion the ecu sends back that last few packets of data??

If this is the case, could I just tap some can wires on the ECU's CAN bus and run them to the respective pins on the OP2.0 cable? All I care about logging for this is the CAN bus so I don't think any of the other pins from the OP2.0 cable would be needed for this correct (just the 2 pins for can-hi and can-lo)?
SilverJester

Return to Mitsubishi (all models)