Will Mak many Laugh

Will Mak many Laugh

Postby ChaiBororo » Thu May 20, 2010 8:54 am

This is something that may make many laugh , but i have a question. can flashing the wrong rom into your computer damage it?
ChaiBororo

Re: Will Mak many Laugh

Postby radsdau » Thu May 20, 2010 3:16 pm

Not a silly question at all.

If by 'damage' you mean physical damage, then that's unlikely, but I guess it's possible it some circumstances (e.g., driving device pins the 'wrong' way).

But if you mean that you won't be able to communicate with the ECU any more, then absolutely- this is very likely. Even if you put the correct ROM in with some invalid changes, it can make the ECU 'crash' and therefore not start the car. You may not be able to reflash either. You could consider this a 'broken' ECU, but this can be repaired.

Mitsubishi ECUs can generally always be reflashed even if the ROM is invalid (I've heard that you can programme in 'Mary had a little lamb' if you want and you can still reflash it afterwards). This is because Mitsubishi ECUs have the bootloader built in, and it is generally not erasable using ECUFlash.

Subaru ECUs on the other hand are different. The Bootloader is in the main code, so if you break that, the ECU becomes unresponsive.

It's always a risk you take reflashing your ECU.
radsdau

Return to Mitsubishi (all models)