New to Evos

New to Evos

Postby bmw5002 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:34 pm

Hey guys, Ive been tuning subarus for a few months now. I feel pretty confident. Ive gotten my own subaru with upgraded turbo to a nice state of tune and a friend's stage2 as well. I use enginuity and ecuflash with the tactrix cable. I have a few friends with evos, 8 and 9s, and they want me to tune their cars. Ive got a few questions for you evo guys.

1. is ecuflash the best reflashing software for evos?
2. What is the best program to log with?
3. with the tactrix cable, where does that extra connector for mitsubishi vehicles go? do you guys need to use that? i bought the subaru tactrix cable. can i use it with an evo?
4. do these cars have any quirks i should know about? anything special someone with general tuning knowledge should know? i assume fueling is the same, no? 11.5:1 range on 93 pump safe? i know the 16g is more efficient above 20 psi. i really have no idea how these cars act. any clues for me?

thanks
bmw5002

Re: New to Evos

Postby 06rexwagon » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:48 am

bmw5002 wrote:Hey guys, Ive been tuning subarus for a few months now. I feel pretty confident. Ive gotten my own subaru with upgraded turbo to a nice state of tune and a friend's stage2 as well. I use enginuity and ecuflash with the tactrix cable. I have a few friends with evos, 8 and 9s, and they want me to tune their cars. Ive got a few questions for you evo guys.

1. is ecuflash the best reflashing software for evos?
2. What is the best program to log with?
3. with the tactrix cable, where does that extra connector for mitsubishi vehicles go? do you guys need to use that? i bought the subaru tactrix cable. can i use it with an evo?
4. do these cars have any quirks i should know about? anything special someone with general tuning knowledge should know? i assume fueling is the same, no? 11.5:1 range on 93 pump safe? i know the 16g is more efficient above 20 psi. i really have no idea how these cars act. any clues for me?

thanks

1. Yes
2. I like evoscan ($25) because you can view the logs in a graph immediately after a pull and it has a built in road dyno. Mitsulogger is another option and is free. Both have plugins for multiple WBO2s.
3.That extra connector goes into the white connector right next to the obd. You have to use it.
4. The fuel tables are way off compared to a subaru. The table will be targeting 10:1 and you'll be running 11.2:1 at times. You absolutely need a wbO2 if you're going to mess with fueling. You can run 11.3-11.5:1 safely but on our 91 here I keep it 11.2:1 or richer. 21 psi is about as far as I push the 16g but many push it to 22-23. The think that will throw you off after tuning a Subar is that the load columns are in % instead of g/rev. Instead of watching IAM and KC like on a Subaru you'll keep your eye on knocksum. If it gets above 5 anywhere (especially above 4krpm) you need to do something about it.

Hope that helps you out. I too have recently moved to tuning evos after about 1.5 years of subaru tuning.
06rexwagon

Tuning an Evo

Postby jdmv8sti » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:43 am

hi. am currently considering moving over to a mitsubishi and have some questions.

would assume the tuning principles of timing, fueling and knock control are the same for all cars even between subarus and evos.

1. What are the different parameters we should be looking at for an Evo 8 or 9 and are there any tuning guide or procedures available to share.
2. With the subaru, you would normally start on the fuel before moving up the boost, whilst monitoring the knock and tuning on timing. Is this the same for an Evo 8 or 9?
3. Where can i get definition files for a JDM Evo 8 and 9?
4. Are they on 16bit or 32bit ecus?

thanks.
jdmv8sti

Return to Mitsubishi (all models)