Anti-lag

Anti-lag

Postby nvr2fast » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:24 pm

Hi all!

I see an "anti-lag" setting within ECUFlash...

Just wondering, but what does it do? Is it actually functional? What do you guys set it at?

I do lots of Auto-X and spool up is what really kills time, if the anti-lag would work somehow to reduce the spool time that would be GREAT (i know turbo life is cut shorter).

Any tips or helps would be great!
nvr2fast

Here is a try.

Postby mtcavity » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:02 pm

I am going to TRY to answer this but some help or confirmation would be nice.

When you look at the map it is set to a 1 - Low RPM, and 2 - Low Load.

I would suspect the Anti-Lag to have more to do with the fact of at Low Load the turbo will run slower. Slower than say at WOT spooling faster with a lot more exhaust flow.

The map seems to run the final ARF a little leaner, which in turn would create a hotter combustion. Turbos rely on the heat expansion of the exhaust gasses, in correlation to the density of the intake air (pre-combustion) for efficient operation. I’m thinking it makes up for the lack of Low Load (amount of air) in the exchange for a leaner and hotter combustion. This is possibly to give the turbo some kind of “alternative” energy to spool up at low RPM and Load.

I could see that there is less of a chance of knock or detonation at these Load/RPM ranges and could utilize this thinking to run the leaner AFR and safely give the car low Load boost.

It is neat on how they use this map to lean out (14.7 and higher) the AFR while the Fuel map runs the AFR from 14.7 and lower. I speculate that the alternative table is to directly address the issue of the “turbo lag” derived from the original Fuel AFR map, without running a less then stoichiometric AFR in the Fuel map . I WANT TO KNOW MORE ON THIS!

From this view it does not seem to help out if you are Auto–Crossing and running the car at higher levels of Load. More for a scenario of slow pace moving with the “potential” to give decent boost if needed. I would think your pushing the Load beyond the Anti-Lag function while Auto-Crossing (maybe).

I am looking at understanding EVERYTHING on the turbo maps in ECU Flash, but need some help also. So if anyone can correct me or confirm me, it would be nice.
mtcavity

Postby silex » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:38 pm

Dude, your post is too long and it's too late for my to follow along, lol. From my understanding those maps are defunct and are reminescant of the evo4/5/6 having the hardware to allow for antilag aka fuel injectors in the ehaust manifold. I was told that someday we will be able to flash to allow this via a "patch" from the mod on aktivematrix.com, but as of now we're plum out of luck. I of all people would love to get ALS running on my evo as well.
silex

Postby nvr2fast » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:05 am

mtcavity: Well the situations where the anti-lag would help (and this applies to auto-x) would be low load situations where, for example, you are in the middle of the turn, you may be half/partially/completely off the throttle (obviously not full throttle through through the turn), and are ready to go full throttle as soon as you are near the exit/end of the corner. Thats where the lag really hits... when you go from a no/partial throttle situation (which i assume is low load) to a full throttle situation (high load).

I thought the way anti-lag worked was actually opposite to how you are thinking... that it would enrichen the fuel (which is why you hear lots of POP-CRACKLE-POP from rally cars when they come off the gas going into a corner or braking).

Or maybe as Silex said, they are fake/useless entries and are only placeholders that do not do anything at all anyway.

Anyone have more info on this? :?
nvr2fast

Postby Hurrikain » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:32 pm

It says enlean in the VIII maps but that is counter to what is going on. Typically (not necessarily in the Evo factory anti-lag) timing is retarded to where combustion is continuing outside the combustion chamber and in the exhaust manifold. Some systems like the Autronic and AEM are purely electronic in nature and rotate between cylinders, 25* ATDC( in the case of the Autronic). With the Porsche style air injection antilag its the same principle just different implementation. The extra air injected into the exhaust manifold gets fuel and quite literally BOOM there is your spool, turbine action in the truest sense of the term.
Hurrikain

Questionable Maps.

Postby mtcavity » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:47 pm

This is in no way an argument, but I want a more through answer to why I am finding Boost Enhancement Maps on a majority of EVO ROMs? I will agree that they are not related to Anti-Lag.

I apologize for not understanding the Anti-Lag silex was referring to, but I have little understanding on race concepts. I am only familiar with production vehicle ROMs pulled from EVOs and have practically memorized there structure, and map locations.

Evolutonm.net was awesome for the videos that showed what Anti-Lag is. How practical is this on a production car? Looks like something that would beat up a turbo quick.

My explanation was geared to “Turbo Lag”, and seemed to fit in principal with the data presented in the ROMs. All the ROMs I ever dealt with were production vehicles, limited by emissions regulation and reliability issues. I doubt Mitsubishi would implement the Anti-Lag system in its production cars for the wear and tear on the car even on EVOs (imagine a 3 month warranty).

Without splitting hairs on what ECU Flash calls “anti-lag” to define the tables, I would like to know what the data represents in the ROMs. Why educated engineers would put “dead” maps in ROMs and only certain models makes no sense. ROMs tend to be very particular to input and output systems of the vehicle.

Now with TURBO LAG in mind, when you lean the fuel at lower load it runs hotter combustion, this in turn creating more pressure and a bit more boost. This also being the safest range to run the engine with a 16.7 AFR, while there is a huge reduction in the risk of knock. This seems like something that can be used on all turbocharged production vehicles. Are these maps TURBO LAG related? LET ME KNOW.

This follows the data in the maps and is found in a majority of EVO 7, 8, and 9 ROMs.
Don’t believe me, download and look for yourself in HEX or DEC.

I have refused to put any XML updates to the EVOs that have these maps (about all), until I have some explanation on there principal to the data represented in the ROMs. If you would like to VIEW (not use) these XML defs to help find out how they function, PM me and I’ll send them (for address locations).
mtcavity

Return to Mitsubishi (all models)