Here is something i find funny no one asks about ?

Here is something i find funny no one asks about ?

Postby wrx4mmp » Sun May 21, 2006 8:44 pm

I see all the up stage cobb maps but can someone please upload the map for economy mode. at $4.05 for 91 oct the hell with HP unless im at the track. yes i know :shock: $4.05 :shock: i understand, but guess what, the most affortable 91 here is ARCO at $3.87 and it is pure garbage, it knocks at idle, 3500 - 5000 rpm, and then again at 6500 rpm. so i do not care for it. Octaine boosters don't do jack, and i only have 18k miles on the car, so im not going to void warrenty with H2O or ALKY, just so i can patch up for using garbage for fuel.

Before anyone asks yes i did try to make my own map, and ive managed to only get 23mpg or so. slight boost over the stage 2 map at 18mpg.

the map i made:

pull timing, boost, low det and high det maps slightly.

i would like to see what cobb did to their map for economy, any help would be nice.
wrx4mmp

Postby JRSCCivic98 » Mon May 22, 2006 5:08 am

There are no uploaded Cobb maps here... at least I don't seem to see any. No one is posting that crap, nor should they. Also, if you want an octane booster you need one that works in raising actual "whole" points like xylene. The shelf type octane boosters might take your 91 octane to 91.7 if it's rated at 7 point increase. Over the counter badged octane boosters don't do crap.
JRSCCivic98

Postby Spiider » Mon May 22, 2006 6:38 am

I'd bet he is talking about the maps posted at enginuity.

IMO, they have been a little crazy/blatant with the Cobb maps. I wouldn't go that far over the line personally. Its one thing to look at what others are doing and build you own maps based on the principles you have learned, it is another to directly copy all the exact values over from street tuner or whatever they say they are doing.
Spiider

Postby ev8siv3 » Mon May 22, 2006 9:41 am

Spiider wrote:I'd bet he is talking about the maps posted at enginuity.

IMO, they have been a little crazy/blatant with the Cobb maps. I wouldn't go that far over the line personally. Its one thing to look at what others are doing and build you own maps based on the principles you have learned, it is another to directly copy all the exact values over from street tuner or whatever they say they are doing.

If you're responsible it would make sense. As I've always stated it's a good idea to see the values and build a map. If you choose to copy directly that's your own ignorance. Maps are provided for assistance, I believe in an open community with all tuner maps available for everyone.

As far as an Economy map goes, I have the c0bb map and all they do is turn off the boost control entirely and change a couple degrees of timing in the cruise range by 1.41 degrees or so.. The fuel map remains STOCK, and OL/CL isn't even touched. Quite possibly the worst "Economy" map I've ever seen.
ev8siv3

Re: Here is something i find funny no one asks about ?

Postby wrx4mmp » Tue May 23, 2006 8:01 am

[quote]the map i made:

pull timing, boost, low det and high det maps slightly.

i would like to see what cobb did to their map for economy, any help would be nice.[/quote]

As i read above, i woud like to see what they did, in order to improve my own map. i did not want or need to copy their map 100%. i just want to see what it is that they did, and if and how much good it did.

i just want to see what other people are doing to gain mpg, instead of hp. and to be honest ive looked and no one seems interested in mpg.

im sorry for any misspellings or unclarity in my post but ive just worked a 16hr shift.

I think the post should have been MPG instead of HP instead. i allso find it funny that everyone got mad about me asking for the COBB ECO map instead of 4.05 at the pump for decent gas.
wrx4mmp

Re: Here is something i find funny no one asks about ?

Postby ev8siv3 » Tue May 23, 2006 8:14 am

I think the post should have been MPG instead of HP instead. i allso find it funny that everyone got mad about me asking for the COBB ECO map instead of 4.05 at the pump for decent gas.

I don't have a problem with it. But keep in mind that our cars are running low compression, which means either way the engine has to work hard to keep the car moving. Even with a well tuned Economy map you won't see a huge jump in MPG. I took an 1800 mile drive with the C0bb economy map loaded and the highest MPG I got was roughly 26mpg.

With my current Stage 2 custom tune I get on average 21mpg. What's even funnier is that if I drive like a granny I get at best 22mpg. I flog the hell out of my car and I only lose 1mpg.. I choose to flog.

If you're really interested, I can assist you in creating a lower octane map. However I wouldn't recommend running anything lower than 89 and you would probably have to modify your wastegate actuator to allow less boost.

But the real question is, why drive a WRX if you're looking for economic value. The extra $5-10 a tank sucks but you bought a performance vehicle, not a prius.
ev8siv3

Postby JRSCCivic98 » Tue May 23, 2006 6:27 pm

Plagiarism is a bitch, ain't it?

BTW, I bet if you take your tuned map and just disable boost control so you only get 7 psi max your MPG would go up. It would definatly be a cool thing to have... a low boost map that can be considered an economy map. Give it a try and see how it works out. That way you're not running a crappy tune on the car, you're just limiting the higher load points of the map which tends to dump a lot more fuel. 7 psi should be enough to bring the 8.0:1 compression ratio to something drivable when you don't need power.
Last edited by JRSCCivic98 on Wed May 24, 2006 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
JRSCCivic98

Postby ev8siv3 » Tue May 23, 2006 6:58 pm

JRSCCivic98 wrote:Plagiarism is a bitch, ain't it?

Not sure who that's directed to, but when I used my eco map it was when I had an Accessport.
ev8siv3

Postby akcel » Tue May 23, 2006 7:50 pm

i thought the wrx was 8.0:1 comp ratio.
akcel

Postby JRSCCivic98 » Wed May 24, 2006 5:39 am

akcel wrote:i thought the wrx was 8.0:1 comp ratio.

Typo... I fixed it.

ev8siv3 wrote:

Not sure who that's directed to, but when I used my eco map it was when I had an Accessport.

Wasn't directed at you... just in general (pretend this thread represents everyone in it in a room)... I was speaking out loud so that everyone could hear. The second part was directed at you though...
JRSCCivic98

Postby Jon [in CT] » Sat May 27, 2006 1:05 pm

Imagine how you'd feel if you'd been making a bunch of money selling something that depended on plagiarism and then you find that someone else is plagiarizing YOUR plagiarism and giving it away free! You'd be mad as hell, but you'd have no legal recourse. That's the position in which Cobb and EcuTeK find themselves today.
Jon [in CT]

Postby LGT-3-6 » Sat May 27, 2006 2:18 pm

Jon [in CT] wrote:
Imagine how you'd feel if you'd been making a bunch of money selling something that depended on plagiarism and then you find that someone else is plagiarizing YOUR plagiarism and giving it away free! You'd be mad as hell, but you'd have no legal recourse. That's the position in which Cobb and EcuTeK find themselves today.
Welcome to open source! You wonder why microsoft is trying to move to a software a service model.
LGT-3-6

Postby JRSCCivic98 » Sat May 27, 2006 3:09 pm

Jon [in CT] wrote:

Well, in terms of all the other sections of the ROM that aren't changed from Subaru's values... I don't think you can actually call that plagiarism. If someone is flat out copying a map and posting it's values... that's more like plagiarism of someone's intelect. I will say this... based on what I have seen in terms of values in some of these maps. I laughed out loud when I saw them. Certain tuners don't touch much of anything in the maps and make it seem like it's fuggin genius work or something. Seems some well known tuners in the industry don't know much about tuning ALL of the tables in the ROM to get the best tune.

I'm even happier now with the tuner I picked for my personal needs. Their tunes are by far much more comprehensive... it's not even funny.
JRSCCivic98

Postby LGT-3-6 » Sat May 27, 2006 7:46 pm

JRSCCivic98 wrote:I will say this... based on what I have seen in terms of values in some of these maps. I laughed out loud when I saw them. Certain tuners don't touch much of anything in the maps and make it seem like it's fuggin genius work or something. Seems some well known tuners in the industry don't know much about tuning ALL of the tables in the ROM to get the best tune.

I'm even happier now with the tuner I picked for my personal needs. Their tunes are by far much more comprehensive... it's not even funny.

They are just gearheads... You literally have to be an engineer to understand the true effect of all these maps.. UGH. If I only had a dyno...

I'm really looking forward to the day when the science of tuning is boiled down to actual code, and it does it itself.
LGT-3-6

Postby JRSCCivic98 » Sun May 28, 2006 11:44 am

There's a few tuners in the community that know how to properly tune both the base and correction maps properly. All it takes is some brains and thinking without the blinders on.
JRSCCivic98

Return to Subaru (all models)