BSOD during reflash = dead?

BSOD during reflash = dead?

Postby Q2SubZero » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm

car: '00 RS with '04 STI swap.

So i did a test write(to the ecu) on a laptop I've never used to flash my ecu before, and it succeeded. So I turned the ignition off, then turned it back on, hoping this time to actually write to the ecu, and the laptop blue screens on me about 40% into the write and the BSOD screen labeled the com port driver as the cuase of the crash.

I did NOT know at the time i could have tried re-flashing if i didn't turn the car off, but of course i did.
the car cranks, but nothing happens, with the cables connected to flash the ecu, the emergency mode doesn't turn the fans on, or work at all i think.
ecu-flash cant read or write to the ecu as it sits right now. I've d/c the battery about 5 minutes ago, will let it sit for an hour, then try again.

Is there ANY way i can force my map onto the ecu? wires to cross?

Is my ONLY option to send the ecu in?

-Steve
Q2SubZero

Re: BSOD during reflash = dead?

Postby radsdau » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Yeah Steve- unfortunately the ECU is unrecoverable by 'normal' means after a failure of this nature. It is poor design on Subaru's part and one of the risks of reflashing.
Your only option is to send it to someone who can resurrect it for you. Search this forum for links.
Cheers.
radsdau

Return to Subaru (all models)