wrx convertion ecu immobiliser trouble - won't start

wrx convertion ecu immobiliser trouble - won't start

Postby coolguy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:06 am

hi everyone, i got a massive problem. i've bought a 2001 model wrx. and the previous owner had transplanted a 2006 wrx 2.5ltr running gear/computer into it.

now it won't start, and the key light flashes, i've been told its my immobiliser/ecu. so i called the key programmer, who programs keys. he came out,pluged in his key machine obd2 programmer. and it won't program the key to the ecu. so he told me something is wrong.

so i went out and bought a 2001 model wrx ecu/immboiliser thinking this would solve the problem. WRONG. my 2006 ecu is made out of plastic and has different connectors, where as the computer i bought off a 2001 is a metal ecu. not plastic,

it gets worse, my 2006 immobiliser is big and has a big plug, but the 2001 immobiliser is small and has two plugs?

whats even more confusing is my mates 1998 wrx has a big immobiliser that looks exactly the same as my 2006 one. ?

im really confused and don't know which way to solve this problem.

any help would be great.
my 2006 immobiliser

my 2006 ecu

the 2001 immobiliser i bought with the 2001 ecu. smaller with two connectors.

my 2006 ecu next to my 2001 metal ecu which i bought from the wreckers.

my 2006 immobiliser plug. its different and won't plug into the 2001 immobiliser.

any suggestions?
coolguy

Re: wrx convertion ecu immobiliser trouble - won't start

Postby hahahaha » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:09 am

with a hybrid like that unless you got the key transponder from the 2.5 and the barrel receiver forget it
just use the wiring diagrams and a multimeter and find out which pin on the ecu that should go hot once immob is verified doesnt actually go hot the way it should
and then just use an external fused relay to provide power to the ecu on that pin to fire things up
ie do it old school
bypass the immobiliser
not such a difficult task
study the 2.5 wiring diagram and determine on which pin 12v goes positive or maybe if you unlucky sinks to ground once immob is ok
then feed in that signal to the ecu
cut and splica
hahahaha

Re: wrx convertion ecu immobiliser trouble - won't start

Postby coolguy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:56 pm

trouble is ive been told that the immobiliser communicates via data bits to the ecu, and does not just simply put out voltage. remember this ecu is the drive by wire type, i think maybe the older types where simpler setup but this one is complex.
coolguy

Return to Subaru (all models)