Tip-in boost error question for experts...

Tip-in boost error question for experts...

Postby turbosetch » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:22 pm

So I am doing a tune for a FMIC on an 05 STI. I have not had to deal with much in the area of tip-in on this car so I was doing some research and came up with a question I can't seem to find an answer to.

Tables in question on the 05 STI map are:

Throttle Tip-In Enrich
Tip-In Comp (Boost Error)

When I read the notes it says the tables are based on boost error (the difference between target boost and actual boost). So with that being said what happens when the target boost is over run. For instance this car has an external electronic boost control so the ECU target boost is at stock 14.5psi or so. The car actually runs any where from 19-24PSI targets depending on settings.

So the questions are:

1. What happens logically with the Tip-In tables when that ECU target boost table is overrun?

2. Adding 10+ Feet of FMIC pipe means lower these TIP-IN tables to almost nothing? Based on results of course...

3. Should I just fix the target boost tables to reflect the real world numbers the car is doing with the EBC?

Any help here appreciated.

Thank you.
turbosetch

Re: Tip-in boost error question for experts...

Postby Xmicho » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:55 am

I'm not a 100% sure but isn't tip-in enrichment supposed to be a data table to regulate how much additional fuel is injected when the throttle is cracked open from closed position based on boost error. It's only in effect for the first few moments after opening the throttle. I think you can play with this to improve spool up but I'm not convinced that adding an FMIC would require these values to change.

Using a manual boost controller is a bad idea in my less than expert opinion.
Xmicho

Return to Subaru (all models)