Subaru CAN bus (2007 Tribeca) - unusual enquiry!

Subaru CAN bus (2007 Tribeca) - unusual enquiry!

Postby rjes » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:04 pm

Hello,
I'm new on here, and remapping ECU's / understanding software is totally beyond me, but I have a question about the CAN bus system used on recent Subaru's that some of you may be able to help me with. I have a very basic knowledge of how CAN bus works.

I make all the special components which allow you to install Subaru engines into VW's. I have wired many Subaru engines (1990 - 2005) to run in VW's, but am currently investigating the latest CAN bus engines. In particular I am interested in what is likely to be involved to get the engine to run without it's auto transmission. I have a theory that it should be possible to remove the transmission control module (TCM) too, to prevent it coming up with many error codes to do with no longer being connected to an auto box. However, in doing so, I would also lose one input signal which is needed by the dash instrumentation, and probably the engine ECU - the vehicle speed signal. From the wiring diagrams, I believe the signal from the gearbox sensor is converted into a CAN message by the TCM.

What I would like to know is has anyone on here investigated the CAN bus system as used on the 2004 --> Legacy and 2006 --> Tribeca? If so, has anyone come across any documentation on how the VSS CAN signal is addressed, or indeed whether this is common to all models (maybe following some standard or other)? Alternatively, does anyone have the necessary CAN bus analysis hardware necessary to identify the VSS signal?

My theory is that if the TCM can be successfully removed from the rest of the electrical system, and I can get the VSS CAN message reproduced using a generic CAN I/O module (I know some electronics engineers with lots of CAN bus experience, but not in cars), then these engines should work in a manual transmission VW.......

Thanks, and please don't give me too much stick if everybody on here thinks this will be totally impossible! There are obviously a lot of people a lot cleverer than me on here!
rjes

Return to Subaru (all models)