Technical Questions (2005 USDM STi ECU)

Technical Questions (2005 USDM STi ECU)

Postby cshepherd » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:18 am

First off, I’m not a programmer or engineer. My BS degree is in the computer engineering technology area, but it’s been over 12 years since I’ve worked in that field. Needless to say, I’m real rusty, but can fumble my way around if forced. I’ve designed and programmed a few PIC based control circuits for some simple projects I’ve worked on in the past few years, so I’m a little bit familiar with the general technology.

I’ll probably pull out my ECU this weekend to get this information, but want to get a jump start if anybody knows the answer already. I have a 2005 USDM STi & from my ODBII scanner I pulled this info: CAL = A2ZJB10J & AD3A101D; CVN = F118A080.

Does anybody know the answers to the following questions?

1) Does the ECU utilize discrete components for processing, static memory, volatile memory, and I/O?
2) What is the “ROM” (is it an EEPROM, Micro Controller, some sort of CMOS flash memory chip, etc.)?
3) What is the “ROM’s” manufacturer & part number?
4) Does anyone have manufacturer data sheets on these things?
4) Has anyone programmed any other functionality for the ECU besides the standard tuning parameter changes?

That about does it for now.

Thanks,
Chad
cshepherd

Postby Freon » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:06 am

You can download the data sheets for all the processors on the web. The 2.5L turbo DBW models all use a Renesas SH-2 based CPU, either a 7055 (2004) or 7058 (2005+). That should answer all of your questions. The same is true for the Motorola HC16 used in the 2002-2005 2.0L turbo cars. Just search the web, or goto the manufacturer's website.

All models use embedded (on-chip) RAM and flash ROM. This is entirely what we're doing here, just grabbing the entire embedded flash ROM image. That's all we need. The SH-2 is a very complete package. It has dozens of outputs. Several serial interfaces, several PWM controllers, several one-shot controllers, etc. Certainly there is some circuitry on the board, but most of the key processing is happening on the main CPU.

Some of the guys at Enguinity are working on moving tables to RAM, so they can be tuned live while the car is running, rather than having to shut the car down to flash the ROM. I'd suggest reading up on www.enguinity.org .
Freon

Return to Subaru (all models)