2002 WRX offsets

Postby wheelerjb » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:01 pm

so the info in the first post, what can you do with it, or what are you suppose to do with it?
wheelerjb

Postby Spiider » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:41 am

If you know hex you can tune your entire car with it.
Spiider

Postby cboles » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:10 am

...or this information can be input into EcuEdit, Enginuity, or the tuning program I am working on to allow you modify / view the data in a more human readable way.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Spiider » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:48 pm

Pffft...real men don't need fancy gui's.
Spiider

Postby wheelerjb » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:56 pm

2B3DA-2B3EB = DESIRED BOOST MANUAL RPM SETTINGS (VERTICAL)
2B3ED-2B3FC = DESIRED BOOST MANUAL THROTTLE SETTINGS (HORIZONTAL)
2B3FF-2B446 = DESIRED BOOST MANUAL DATA VALUES

please don't flame me, but I take it the 2B3DA-2B3EB are locations, and in these locations are values...which you can change, but how do you pull them from the ECU, and how do you load them? I have the Ecuexplorer program and a cable, so I have that covered. where is the best place to go learn about this, other than reading countless threads with countless replys by people who already know and make it sound as easy as buttering bread?
wheelerjb

Postby Spiider » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:16 pm

Well, I actually just use the original ecuflash, along with my "ecuflash gui v3" to dump and reflash. I just find it easier and simpler.

The new tools are probably even easier to use, I'm just comfy with the older stuff.

For a hex editor I like a couple different ones.
"Ultraedit" is my preference and I also like "hex workshop".

If you use Ultraedit, just go to the range I specified, and look at what you have there. For the rpm and throttle settings imagine that those are your columns and rows of your spreadsheet. The data values are the data thats contained in that spreadsheet. The data values fill the spreadsheet left to right row after row.

You can actually convert these hex values into decimal and then work with them easier. Some are direct values, but most need some conversion to be meaningful.

When you are done, replace the values you want to edit into the rom, then flash it back into your ecu. (Make sure you have a backup of the original first, in case you make a mistake.)

This was the explanation of the way us real men do it. Lol. The easy way is to just use something like "enginuity" to display graphically and change the rom.

Then use your reflashing software to put it back into the car.
Spiider

Postby qoncept » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:06 pm

wheeler, no one is going to flame you. :) Most of the stuff here is way over my head, too. I just picked out the part I can do. The simple answer is, for now, it just ain't that easy. Yes, those locations in the ROM are where the data is -- in bytes, not real numbers. This is where Enginuity and ecuEdit (and StreetTUner and ecutek) come in -- they interpret it for you and make the tables look like you expect so you can concentrate on tuning. The problem is they're incomplete and untested. I'm rewriting Enginuity so it should support any ECU image when I'm done and be a lot easier for me to get updates out. Should be done by the end of January as long as I can find the time to work on it. It's also more modular now so it should be easier to have other people contribute.
qoncept

Postby crispyduck » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:36 pm

wheelerjb wrote:... where is the best place to go learn about this, other than reading countless threads with countless replies by people who already know and make it sound as easy as buttering bread?

Wheelerjb, a lot of us are in the same boat - me personally only about one month ahead of you. Setting up to speed and finding the agreed way of doing things within the pages of a BBS is time consuming and difficult. This is why I setup my hobby web site called Scoobypedia.co.uk to unlock this valuable information, editable by anyone in a wiki-based system.

Most of the ECU knowledge information I've picked up on this forum will get people started quite quickly with all the tools they need. I'm currently researching the best and safest way to alter my ECU maps.

Hope this is any use. As always please feel free to contribute new articles or correct anything I've messed up.

-Steve.
crispyduck

Postby Navybluesubaru » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:37 pm

This is all great information. I saw something about injector sizing, but it seemed incomplete. Does anybody know the definitive offset for injector size? It would be nice to be able to reflash it to larger injectors just as a starting point. I would like to disable the maf scaling in my UTEC and this would be just the way to do it.

btw im working on a logging program, it might turn into more but its going to be 100% open source, VB6.

Jeff
Navybluesubaru

Postby crazymikie » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:58 pm

0x28AE6

The value should be 6442 (decimal).

Mike
crazymikie

Postby cdvma » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:01 pm

Navybluesubaru wrote:btw im working on a logging program, it might turn into more but its going to be 100% open source, VB6.

Jeff

I don't know how to phrase this without coming off the wrong way but no offence, but there is no way you can keep up with already existing software. If you want to dedicate time to the openecu community its probably better spent making the tools at hand easier to use or more standard. Tari already has a good free solution for SSM logging. The community has this problem where there is too much wasted effort where people are trying to recreate everyone elses work. AFAIK there is no SOLID map editor out there. People have made a few starts and there are other free packages out there but nothing has solidified very well yet. This is the next MAJOR step that needs to be taken. Loggers are cheap, easy, and far too in number.
cdvma

Postby Navybluesubaru » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:07 pm

cdvma - AFAIK nobody has written one in VB. I have wanted to do this for a while and eventually/possibly integrate it with my UTI program. I like the ecuExplorer program but it lacks auto-logging and other things, it just logs. I want more than that so im writing my own program. I dont take offense to your comments, you do have a valid point. Im doing this program more for myself but I am willing to let others benefit from my work if they can.

The next step for me will be to dive in the map editing and reflashing, but in order to be any good at this stuff I must crawl before I can walk/run, right?

crazymikie - How does 6442 translate into the actual size, i.e. CC or lb/hr?

Jeff
Navybluesubaru

Postby Navybluesubaru » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:36 pm

Bump to CrazyMike....how does the 6442 translate into the "420cc" or whatever they are stock?

Jeff
Navybluesubaru

Postby crazymikie » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:47 pm

It doesn't really translate directly- you would need to adjust proportionately for the injectors you are using. For example, going from 420cc injectors to 560cc injectors, you would do:

(420/560)*6442 = 4831

You can start there and then I would continue to adjust that value until the car idles and the fuel trims both sit close to 0%. From what I've seen, this value may have to be tweaked a bit, but the equation above should get you in the ballpark.

If you have more questions, you can usually catch me on AIM or feel free to email me as well.

THanks,
Mike
crazymikie

Postby Navybluesubaru » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:43 am

crazymikie wrote:It doesn't really translate directly- you would need to adjust proportionately for the injectors you are using. For example, going from 420cc injectors to 560cc injectors, you would do:

(420/560)*6442 = 4831
...THanks,
Mike

Well the reason I asked is because a lot of these values that are embedded in the rom need to go through a process like ([value]-128)/255 or whatever to get rpm or boost from what subaru programmed in there. Well I really thought that this would be the same thing but you are suggesting that its just your cc/min multiplied by 15.34~. This very well may be true but has anybody tested this theory by modifying the value? I can go ahead and reflash with a modified value and see where my trims sit at, that can be a good way of doing it as long as my motor doesnt pop! I actually have modded stock injectors so the size on them is approx. 850cc. I might have to reflash 2-3 times to get it dialed in but I will definitely post my results, you can be sure of that.

[edit] - How do you know the number doesnt scale the other way, i.e. larger injectors would warrant a LARGER value, not smaller? [/edit]

Jeff
Navybluesubaru

PreviousNext

Return to Subaru (all models)