power dip at 3.5k rpm??

User topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Postby west_minist » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:39 am

Spiking is not the issue here, which can be tune out.

I do not think the wg was set in stock.

Since every is stuck on only stock, let just to the tune.

There is no spike in the tune.

Let's do this. My adsl is down and I only have blackberry. I will retune the car stock rom with no boost and see how that curve behave.
west_minist

Postby JRSCCivic98 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:12 am

west_minist wrote:Here we go.

That is not stock. Stock boost is only 12.x +/-!!! Does this car have a 3/16th mod on it?
JRSCCivic98

Postby Tea cups » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:18 pm

Do have a log of your wastegate duties?
Tea cups

Postby west_minist » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:06 pm

Which one? the 17psi? I can post stock run for the curve above.

Here is what we know so far:

1) Timing does not do anything
2) Tuning of the WG and boost reference maps makes no diff, since the car is aim to run close to 18psi either way. Before the wg actuator adjustment when the car was doing just into 16psi and the reference maps were 17+psi, still the same thing.
3) AFR is good.

Keep the thoughts coming guys.

Hey, anyone in California?

Remember the 17psi or tuning rom boost curve. This is the latest. The very post dyno shows the effect still.

west_minist

Postby jak » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:11 pm

Im not gona say anything new here just that Ive seen pre ignition due to boost spike cause fuel enrichment & pulling back of timing & boost which is what this looks like to me
Id say try kicking back the timing like 3 degrees in the fuller load area at about 3-4KRPM
this should reduce pre ignition & keep the power more flat
if you have changed timing & there has been no change I have seen OE systems respond rich under higher boost & have found on a couple that using the load axis & bringing back fueling will often straiten out this sort of thing
if none of this does anything & your boost is stable you are just having trouble with the car
what is the base boost on your car? (actuator pressure) is the door blowing open at that point & then closing or just creeping later?
take care & good luck
JAK STOLL
jak

Postby west_minist » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:20 pm

Thanks Jak. Ok. Now how would this affect the tune that we are currently at?

I have pull and add timing. No effect. Control fuel, no effect. The rom is tune for boost. This is the only car I have met that have this problem. I have another Auto WRX with do not have this problem.

I have a fair bit of cars and have not seen anhy behave like this. But this setup is also unique.

Something is happening, but the turbo is keeping the boost. Thats the thing. If not, it would mean that the turbo can do well over 20psi to behave like this. The turbo is stock. Not sti.

Keep the thoughts coming Jak. If you need anymore info, let me know.

We are going for a tune w/ no boost and increase slowly to see what happening.

It would be nice to have a boost gauge @ the throttle body to see if there correspond to the turbo. But I guess we would need a very high resolution to pick up this flapping.

I would love to replace the up/dp with the stock stuff and go from there.
west_minist

Postby engr » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:31 pm

the car doesn't have 3/16 mod, wastegate arm is tighten 1 turn beyond slack, so it is just slightly preloaded (this help to bring peak boost to 17 form 16).

The power dip existed with completely stock exhaust system, of course there is no log to prove it, but I did remember thinking it was knock because everytime I go pask 3k rpm, the power dips moemtnary and comes back on afterwards.. any many mods later, the problem is is magnified by the increase power.
engr

Postby Tea cups » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:27 am

The information provided is confusing. Your first set of graphs shows a dip in boost and an oscillation that looks like a classic boost spike. You also dropped about 2 degrees of knock correction. Was the drop in KC due to you removing correction timing to try to fix the area? Or was it detonation? Are you logging engine load so you can see at what load/rpm the spike occurs and match that up with your base/correction/fuel maps? And what is this latest boost graph that is perfectly smooth with no spike? What did you change there?
Tea cups

Postby engr » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:47 am

The boost plot with a dip in it was in stock map.. the last boost curuve v6-1 corrected is the map that has the power dip.. the engine load is logged in the original .csv file in the first post..

The stock map is ther for comparison purposes..
engr

Postby JRSCCivic98 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:37 pm

west_minist wrote:Here we go.

This is not stock boost on a USDM WRX. That's what I'm trying to say and you're stating that this graph is of the stock tune. This is not stock boost... or better said, it shouldn't be.
JRSCCivic98

Postby west_minist » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:45 pm

Have fun reviewing and let us know what you think.

Remember the car is an Auto WRX :)

This is a no boost run :)
Attachments
No Boost.rar
(6.8 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
west_minist

Postby JRSCCivic98 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:46 am

What ECU is this and what ROM are you running on it? Post the ROM.
JRSCCivic98

Postby west_minist » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:15 am

Here you go.
Attachments
2002WRX4EATStock_A4SGE01C_192.hex
(192 KiB) Downloaded 685 times
west_minist

Postby engr » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:26 pm

West_minist and I are out of ideas of why the power dip is there.. just kinda gotta live with it... Power is way up from where I started with a stage 2 map.. and I'm very happy with the results already.. I wasted so much of his time trying to figure this out..

We're doing final tweeking now.. will conclude shortly..

Big thank you to West_minist.. and thanks for all your contributions..
engr

Postby west_minist » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:16 pm

Wild thoughts.

The rate of change causes issues. Do any know if the MAP could be have like this.

If there is something you all need on this issue, including that stock run w/ no boost whatsover (yeah yeah, normal turbo behaviour w/ wg open), we can provide it.

Different roms causes the same issue. Its Car related.

I must say tho, that car doesn't seem to need a lot of timing to make power now. Indeed strange.
west_minist

PreviousNext

Return to Tuning Software