WGD% Will not go above 90 on Baja Turbo (DBW).

User topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Postby Freon » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:26 pm

Er, well another max WG duty table, not the standard one.

Either way, there should be a way to fix it and run higher. I doubt it is much more involved than changing a 1D or 2D map.
Freon

Postby Hawk296 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:44 pm

In the lastest definition file for enginuity, There is in fact another (additional) table for absolute MAX WGDC. And sure enough, when looking at it, mine was set at 90% even though the other tables were set at 100% So even though I had max WGDC at 100%, the newly added table was still limiting it to the factory setting of 90% At least it all makes sense now.
Hawk296

Postby Freon » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:06 pm

Keep in mind that value is "hard set" in the ECU normally. It is written in a way to indicate it isn't tunable, even by Subaru's own tuners. The solenoid you are using may not be rated to run a constant 100% duty. I'd guess you'll be ok, this is just an unknown area, but something to keep in mind.
Freon

Postby bulwnkl » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:51 pm

I'd like to bring this thread back to the top because in logging my Baja ('05 turbo A/T) I have encountered the same thing. WGDC maxes at 90.2% (until it starts trimming back above ~5,000 rpm), which resulted in a peak boost pressure of 10.45psig on that day. Interestingly, the theory in the FSM for how (and why) Subaru uses a mechanical wastegate actuator with the BCS on top of it is that:

The wastegate actuator is supposed to set max boost, but the BCS is there to allow higher boost because the ECU is supposed to maintain a certain power (output) level. Thus, at higher elevations like where I live or under other conditions that drop absolute atmospheric pressure, the BCS is there to allow higher-than-target gauge (relative) manifold pressure so that you get zero power loss at (for example) higher elevations. It seems clear, however, that the reality is somewhat different from the stated theory.

In any event, did the OP ever increase restrictor orifice size or anything else to increase boost levels? What was the outcome here?
bulwnkl

Postby merchgod » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:40 am

You can raise the limit by modifying the table "wastegate duty limit (maximum)" in Ecuflash and RomRaider. It limits wgdc to 90% regardless of your max wgdc table.
merchgod

Postby bulwnkl » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:25 pm

I see. Thank you, merchgod. Have you seen (or heard?) of issues resulting from running higher duty cycles on the factory BCS?

As an alternative, can one put a smaller-orifice restrictor in the line from the compressor output? I believe I understand the theory here to be that the restrictor drops the pressure in that small line. Thus, a very slightly smaller orifice should drop pressure slightly more, resulting in lower WGDCs for the same boost pressure. I expect it's possible that one would have to reduce preload on the wastegate actuator (or even replace it with a lower-rate spring actuator) if one dropped line pressure too far. I do not know whether there are other orifice sizes available?
bulwnkl

Previous

Return to Tuning Software