What units are EVO 8 timing maps in?

User topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

What units are EVO 8 timing maps in?

Postby danl » Tue May 16, 2006 3:53 pm

Hello all,

I want to start editing fuel and timing maps such as I have done for DSM’s for a friends Evo 8. What units are the maps in (with respect to EcuFlash)? I know the Y axis is rpm but the Load axis is labeled percentage. Percentage of what? Is it possibly grams/revolution as in a DSM ecu? It would make sence if the top value is 2.60 grams/rev because this roughly correlates to 280 horsepower plus or minus.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is covered allready. I searched and could not find so hopefully it will serve usefull in the database.
danl

Re: What units are EVO 8 timing maps in?

Postby A418t81 » Tue May 23, 2006 1:32 pm

danl wrote:Hello all,

I want to start editing fuel and timing maps such as I have done for DSM’s for a friends Evo 8. What units are the maps in (with respect to EcuFlash)? I know the Y axis is rpm but the Load axis is labeled percentage. Percentage of what? Is it possibly grams/revolution as in a DSM ecu? It would make sence if the top value is 2.60 grams/rev because this roughly correlates to 280 horsepower plus or minus.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is covered allready. I searched and could not find so hopefully it will serve usefull in the database.

The load axis actually ends up working out like barometric pressure. Everything up to 100% is vaccum with 100% being 1 ATM or "0 psi". Therefore 200% is 1 bar, etc.
A418t81

Postby danl » Tue May 23, 2006 4:49 pm

So just to make sure I’m understanding this right. The ecu does its calculations and comes up with a calculated manifold pressure value. This value is then used in the fuel and timing maps. Also if one were to exceed the very last pressure value the ecu would just default to the value on this very last row.
danl

Postby A418t81 » Wed May 24, 2006 8:20 am

danl wrote:So just to make sure I’m understanding this right. The ecu does its calculations and comes up with a calculated manifold pressure value. This value is then used in the fuel and timing maps. Also if one were to exceed the very last pressure value the ecu would just default to the value on this very last row.

From what I gather, yes. I've been inquiring about this very subject a bit more over on evom asking if the axis can be rescaled to higher loads and I'm still a bit unsure of the answer. It seemed that more people were in favor of rescaling the maf rather than the load ranges themselves.
A418t81

Postby MalibuJack » Mon May 29, 2006 5:09 pm

Yeah, altering the formula of that axis, only changes what that axis shows as a human readable result, it does nothing to extend the range of what the map itself can read.

In order to extend the range, you have to extend the range of maf frequencies that the ECU works with.. Ultimately you don't end up with more cells, but a wider working range.. THEN you can alter your axis to correspond to it..

The values in the axis are only rough calculations of what the columns represent in a stock ECU.. But they are only calculations and don't directly correlate to boost pressure.
MalibuJack

Return to Tuning Software