New Wannabe Tuner

User topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

New Wannabe Tuner

Postby BoxCarRacer » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi all,

I just stumbled across this website a few weeks ago looking into the Tactrix Cable. I'm a DIY kind of person with very little mechanical knowledge (can change oil, brakes, bolt ons, etc) but I'm going to take on installing a custom Turbo on my 2008 Mitsu Lancer GTS. I just ordered the Tactrix Cable an hour ago..

Does anyone need the 2008 Mitsubishi Definition file? If so I'll be uploading it. Although I don't know much mechanically I'm an IT guy and I think I can figure out the software easy enough. Any advice on tuning?

I have a Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust and an RRM Intake. Can anyone give me advice on how to tune the definition file? How to tune fuel maps, etc? Any advice is appreciated, and don't say use the search button I know how annoying it is when new members expect you to hand feed them information. Gimme a link and I'll read it :)

Thanks!
BoxCarRacer

Re: New Wannabe Tuner

Postby radsdau » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:07 pm

I can't give you mech or tuning advice, but when you get the cable, read the ROM from your ECU. With any luck the tuning defs are included in ECUFlash and it will just open up; you shouldn't have to do anything tricky.
If not, post the ROM and someone should be able to help you locate a definition for it.
Good luck navigating the learning curve. :)
radsdau

Postby BoxCarRacer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks Radsdau,

I'm halfway done reading this: http://forums.evolutionm.net/ecuflash/3 ... e-evo.html. Lot of information to absorb... SO I take it I should log what my AFR is first. Can I do that with the Tactrix cable or do I need a Wide Band A/F sensor?

After that I need to adjust timing and then try to lean out the fuel maps? If I was trying to tune for 91 Octane instead of 87 how would that affect the tuning of timing and fuel maps? I'm guessing the timing would have to be retarded and the fuel mixture could get closer to the 12:1 air/fuel ratio.

I always thought 14.7 was the most efficient but now I realize 12:1 is. Is that "just" for Evo's or a general rule of thumb? Thanks, any help is appreciated! Back to reading...
BoxCarRacer

Postby radsdau » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:02 pm

Without knowing all the tuning details, 12:1 is normal for a lot of cars under high load, normally in Open-Loop control. In Closed-Loop fuel control under cruise, 14:7 is where you want it. Tuners often put more fuel in under load mainly to reduce detonation (I believe this is because it has a cooling effect). To much fuel reduces power though. There is a happy medium.
A WBO2 sensor is a very helpful tool for tuning; if you can find the money, get one. They're pretty cheap.
The higher the octane rating of the fuel you use the more timing you can throw at it before it starts to knock, hence you get more power/torque. I don't think it affects the fuel maps, but again, I'm not a tuner so take it with a grain of salt.
radsdau

Postby BoxCarRacer » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:53 am

Can you suggest a Wideband O2 sensor? I was looking at this one: http://www.aemelectronics.com/wideband- ... -gauge-25/

I have a few questions about the O2 sensor. It looks like it plugs into an "Engine Management System". Is that what you plug the injectors into as well? And do you need that or can you just get an O2 sensor, put it on the downpipe, drill some holes, and have it mounted on your dash?

You said 14.7 is the best for cruising but if that's not the most efficient ratio for power wouldn't you still want 12:1 even at cruising speed? Or can you save fuel at those speeds since you don't need more power for cruising? Do some tuner's go higher than 14.7 for those reasons?

Thanks!
BoxCarRacer

Postby radsdau » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Don't know about O2 sensor really. OP2 supports a couple of WBO2 sensors; I'd probably recommend one of those. Check their website.

As far as mixtures go, my understanding is that, for petrol, 14.7 is the most efficient way of burning fuel and air. You can get more torque with slightly richer mixtures, and this also burns cooler, keeping engine temperature lower and also making detonation less likely. I believe running < 14.7, as in lean cruise, can save some fuel but if taken too far can damage engine internals because of the higher temps.
You wouldn't cruise in the 12s unless you didn't care about pollution and fuel costs, which we all do.
Last edited by radsdau on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radsdau

Postby BoxCarRacer » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:25 am

Thanks for the info Radsdau! I got the Tactrix cable and finally pulled the ROM image. Unfortunately there's no built in definition file for ECU Flash. Can anyone help me create a definition file? Or give me some pointer's on doing it myself? Thank you!
Attachments
USDA - 2008 Lancer GTS - Stock.bin
(1 MiB) Downloaded 1018 times
BoxCarRacer

Postby BoxCarRacer » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:24 pm

I got it working!!! Not sure what to do now, or how to verify that this information is correct. I don't want to make changes and then mess up my ECU.. Any ideas for tuning for my car??

I want to tune it for 89 Octane. I've made 2 modifications.

1 RRM Short Ram Intake
1 Magnaflow Catback Exhaust

Any tips??? I'm pretty clueless on what to do to an N/A car. :) Thanks!
Attachments
AUDM-Modified.xml
(29.16 KiB) Downloaded 979 times
USDA-4B11-Lancer-GTS.bin
(1 MiB) Downloaded 979 times
FuelMaps.jpg
FuelMaps.jpg (354.87 KiB) Viewed 15452 times
BoxCarRacer

Postby radsdau » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Those defs don't look right. The axes values are wrong, and first column in the map looks like the last column of a previous map (but I could be wrong there).
Who knows what data you're actually changing.
radsdau

Postby BoxCarRacer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:55 am

Yea that definition wasn't 100%. Someone pm'd me a definition that worked though and it looks much better. Do you think going off of this image that this one is accurate enough to tune from?

And does anyone recommend any changes out of the gate. I don't have a wideband O2 sensor yet but I'll be getting one to log as I make incremental changes.. Priority on making this stable and taking it slow.. Tks.
Attachments
Accurate Image.jpg
Accurate Image.jpg (422.11 KiB) Viewed 15431 times
BoxCarRacer

Postby radsdau » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:00 pm

I can't recommend changes to you, but those defs look a whole lot better.
All the defs generated here are pretty much experimental, so try them and see. With EVO 7-9 style ECUs you can always enter reflash mode and recover from bad flashes, so there really is no way of destroying them, like Subaru (not as easy to recover).
Just try not to break your engine. :) The best general suggestions I can give for that are: not too much timing, not too much boost, not too lean, and if it pings, make it stop. Other than that the tuner guys will have to help you out.
Cheers.
radsdau

Return to Tuning Software